OP
OP
bigdeeezyyyy

bigdeeezyyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So looked like one of my RBTAs decided to move and I believe stung my monti cap and pocillapora...I have another pocillapora that's doing just fine can this theory be true?

20200330_214307.jpg

20200330_214254.jpg

20200317_173532.jpg

OP
OP
bigdeeezyyyy

bigdeeezyyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bored at home during this quarantine got me making some small things...:)

3D printed a single magnetic frag mount for one of my pocillaporas and a small flower rack with acrylic rings and legs for some zoa frags

2020-04-17.jpg

2020-04-17.jpg

2020-04-17.jpg

2020-04-17.jpg

OP
OP
bigdeeezyyyy

bigdeeezyyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question: Has there been any studies that show if gluing corals directly on live rock will be better for coral growth compared to leaving it on a frag plug and gluing to rock?

RCS82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question: Has there been any studies that show if gluing corals directly on live rock will be better for coral growth compared to leaving it on a frag plug and gluing to rock?
I don't know about any studies that have been done but I do know that a lot of sps will want to put down a solid base before they start growing and being glued to rock will allow them that. Unless you allow them to encrust all over your frag rack too. With lps like cyphastreas and favias for example, I dont think they would care really and just expand onto what ever surface is available. Same with zoas, any surface I don't think they would care.

OP
OP
bigdeeezyyyy

bigdeeezyyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know about any studies that have been done but I do know that a lot of sps will want to put down a solid base before they start growing and being glued to rock will allow them that. Unless you allow them to encrust all over your frag rack too. With lps like cyphastreas and favias for example, I dont think they would care really and just expand onto what ever surface is available. Same with zoas, any surface I don't think they would care.

Thanks for the info! Since being home for this SIP, I have been clearing my frag racks and starting to mount the corals on the rockwork. Some with frag plugs and some directly to rock. Hopefully they start doing better than on the frag rack and grow!

Been saving a good amount of money with SIP, been itching to buy something (not super expensive) for the tank but dont know what to buy! LOL
Any suggestions on what to buy that can benefit the tank? Maybe name something you guys recently purchased for your reef tank?

RCS82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info! Since being home for this SIP, I have been clearing my frag racks and starting to mount the corals on the rockwork. Some with frag plugs and some directly to rock. Hopefully they start doing better than on the frag rack and grow!

Been saving a good amount of money with SIP, been itching to buy something (not super expensive) for the tank but dont know what to buy! LOL
Any suggestions on what to buy that can benefit the tank? Maybe name something you guys recently purchased for your reef tank?
Oh geesh, I just re read this and you had said frag plugs, not frag rack lol. Sorry, then ya, I don't think corals care one bit whether it's a frag plug, rock, or a tile.

OP
OP
bigdeeezyyyy

bigdeeezyyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh geesh, I just re read this and you had said frag plugs, not frag rack lol. Sorry, then ya, I don't think corals care one bit whether it's a frag plug, rock, or a tile.

No you read it correctly lol. All corals on my frag rack are on frag plugs. Some corals that were not encrusted and easily removable from a frag plug I removed from the frag plug and glued to my rockwork. Corals that are encrusted and hard to remove from frag plugs I glued whole piece with frag plug onto the rockwork.

OP
OP
bigdeeezyyyy

bigdeeezyyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
want to pick your brains for a bit regarding lighting.

Currently I have 1 Hydra 26HD and can add another one to the tank. Question is, how would you guys mount the 2nd light?
1. Literally side by side in the middle of the tank
2. Staggered
3. Side by side with a gap in between both lights

OP
OP
bigdeeezyyyy

bigdeeezyyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much updates on my tank. Everything is thriving and growing besides my green slimer frag that started to STN...Was able to save the tip and the encrusting base so lets see what happens.

Also won several frags from Legendary Corals auction over the weekend and will pick them up later today.

Still deciding if I should put up the 2nd hydra 26...if it will help or not with my tank.

OP
OP
bigdeeezyyyy

bigdeeezyyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some great deals on some frags from @Legendary Corals and also from a local reefer! Enjoy!

OG Darth Maul Porites
LC Monarch Psammacora
Jose Casas Pink Stylocoeniella
LC Blue Flame Psammacora
Lava Lamp Discosoma
UC Splendiferous Cyphastrea
Blush Pink-Purple Ricordea
LC Optimus Prime Blastomussa
LC Petroglyphs Zoas

From local reefer:

Utter Chaos Wintergreen Bounce

2 Head Gold Cristata Small Sunkist Bounce

Red/Pink Goniopora - These guys have not opened out yet for almost 3 days. Have it in low light moderate flow. Is this normal?

OP
OP
bigdeeezyyyy

bigdeeezyyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad day yesterday...while i was just staring at my tank as I do every time i walk pass it, somehow one of the mp40 was acting up and stopped for literally half a second...during that half a second, my cleaner wrasse dove inside the mp40 for some odd reason and got wacked by the propeller when it kicked immediately back on.

The wrasse was shot out of the mp40 and looked to have had a broken back but still breathing. Unfortunately, I knew it was not going to make it so I put it out of its misery... RIP Mr. Denty the cleaner wrasse! :( :( :(

OP
OP
bigdeeezyyyy

bigdeeezyyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What lens combo does everyone use to get the best looking picture that gets the most coloration?

My tank is currently under a Hydra 26HD with mostly blues on with 8% whites using a Galaxy Note 10+ to take pictures. Any suggestions and best settings to take the best most colorful pics?

Orphek Reef Lens kit

and a couple of Aquarocks 9 holed sandbed frag rock displays to put my zoas in to get rid of that custom acrylic frag holder LOL Thanks @Aquarocks for the quick communication, service and shipping!

Aquarocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What lens combo does everyone use to get the best looking picture that gets the most coloration?

My tank is currently under a Hydra 26HD with mostly blues on with 8% whites using a Galaxy Note 10+ to take pictures. Any suggestions and best settings to take the best most colorful pics?

Orphek Reef Lens kit

and a couple of Aquarocks 9 holed sandbed frag rock displays to put my zoas in to get rid of that custom acrylic frag holder LOL Thanks @Aquarocks for the quick communication, service and shipping!
Thank you !!!!

JonoB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love how full the tank looks. Did you ever make a decision on the extra hydra 26? I have one on my 60 cube. I had a metal halide as well, but recently unplugged it and everything is dong great with just the one hydra. I think I'm just going to leave it like that for a long time. If I add anything, I will probably add reefbrites, but probably not even that.

How does that tomini do in there? I want a good grazer in my tank but never know if they do ok in the 60cubes. Obviously yours is fine because its still in there lol. I need to beef up my fish stocking.

OP
OP
bigdeeezyyyy

bigdeeezyyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love how full the tank looks. Did you ever make a decision on the extra hydra 26? I have one on my 60 cube. I had a metal halide as well, but recently unplugged it and everything is dong great with just the one hydra. I think I'm just going to leave it like that for a long time. If I add anything, I will probably add reefbrites, but probably not even that.

How does that tomini do in there? I want a good grazer in my tank but never know if they do ok in the 60cubes. Obviously yours is fine because its still in there lol. I need to beef up my fish stocking.

I actually added another hydra 26HD last week! Not sure how its gonna turn out, but only time will tell.

The tomini is doing great! grazes all day and is a total pig! Eat anything and everything LOL

OP
OP
bigdeeezyyyy

bigdeeezyyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got lucky last week and won a 2 head Dragon Soul torch from a raffle a local LFS was doing! Super stoked as I never win any coral raffles let alone any raffles for anything!

20200909_125515.jpg
20200909_125550.jpg

1599689993912.png

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back