Biggest Rhomboid & Lineatus wrasse...

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
now that I have your attention, what is the biggest Golden Rhomboid and Lineatus fairy wrasse you've seen or own? would love to see pics... do you female(s) for them or just singles... if kept as a single, have you noticed a big difference in coloration since you acquired them? IME, Rhomboids and Lineatus don't lose much coloration without females but I'd also like to hear your opinion and/or experience with this... :)

Thanks...

detguy123

I'm a pain in the wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you are right that they don't lose color that much but with females they will keep thier nupital colors and when displaying you will be able to tell the difference..i had a rhomboid for a short time and have kept lineatus on a few occasions once without females and the other times with females and did notice that the male looked way better when it had females present..i know someone that kept a male rhomboid alone and it was very pretty terminal male and had great color but when he added 2 females in the tank with it over a couple of months you could really see how much his color changed..and when he displayed to the females..all i can say is wow!!!! it was way better than before when he would display to the other wrasses..so for me if i have the chance i would always add at least one female but two or three if i can..wish i had some pics..all i have is some of my lineatus...i wil see if i my friend has some of those rhomboids and th chang the male went through

143gadgets

Mr. Meticulous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've see the both at about 4-4.5". They had very nice coloration, but I'm not a wrasse person so no clue how colorful that was.

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try and get some soon - they swim fast though ;)
I think both of my Lineatus's are males though.

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome guys... I was a little worried that no one had any... :hammer:

my plans keep changing... I want the best for my wrasses so I think I'll end up with 1 male / 2 females of both the Rhomboid and Lineatus... and to top it off with the harem of HI flames (4 females / 1 male) :) :D :)

I think that about complete the wrasse collection... ;)

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am working on getting the pictures uploaded now. They suck - but oh well. Its hard to get pictures of them. My purple tang is a ham though ;)

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just took this one real quick through the glass.

I will probably spent some time taking pictures of my fish down the road - after I figure out the camera a little more.

This is Fred - Barney was a little harder to get a picture of! lol

Lineatus1.jpg

Chelsey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The largest lineatus I've seen was 8". He was HUGE and unfortunately jumped to his death before I could buy him (LFS).

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No doubt - I didn't know that either! :O
I would have loved to see that one. The biggest picture of one I have seen was about 5"

Tomasz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marv,

If you want them to keep the color I think you will have to have females with them. I had single Super Male Liniatus and he did loose his color, would never buy one with out female again.

sailfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I had one that never lost any color but I do believe he would have looked much better if I had. He was an OK super male but most of his color could only be seen when he flashed. If you find a male that has a lot of color in the body then it would be OK. Mine was a little to purple so his color only really showed when he flashed. I just sold him and decide to go with two trio's consisting of pink margins and flames.

He was flashing at other males in this pic.
Goodlin.jpg

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I had one that never lost any color but I do believe he would have looked much better if I had. He was an OK super male but most of his color could only be seen when he flashed. If you find a male that has a lot of color in the body then it would be OK. Mine was a little to purple so his color only really showed when he flashed. I just sold him and decide to go with two trio's consisting of pink margins and flames.

He was flashing at other males in this pic.

Do you have a picture of your male pink margin? I want a trio of those myself.
I love the white color the males have.

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My supermale Lineatus was at least 6". He did lose a lot of his bright colors not having a female over the 2 years I had him. This is a picture Gary captured shortly after I got him. He passed on during the Memorial Day weekend :( I had just gotten him a female too!

SuperMaleLineatusWrasse.jpg

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We get in some show size 4.5"-5" Lineatus Wrasses here is a pic and a video:

supermalelineatuswrasse.jpg

now, that's what I'm talking about...

My supermale Lineatus was at least 6". He did lose a lot of his bright colors not having a female over the 2 years I had him. This is a picture Gary captured shortly after I got him. He passed on during the Memorial Day weekend :( I had just gotten him a female too!

SuperMaleLineatusWrasse.jpg
Sara, I'm very sorry to hear about the loss... yeah, that was one nice fish... I remember seeing it before...

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back