OP
OP
BigJim

BigJim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really nice setup. What type of structural issues are you having with the tank? I see that you said you got the tank before they stopped making that size, but how old is it? Also, does your Foxface nip at your corals?

There have been a couple structural issues that made me order a replacement. First, DSA used an epoxy to glue the cross braces to the frame of the aquarium. I noticed about 1/3 of one of the cross braces has no epoxy and I can see daylight between the brace and frame in that spot. I added an additional cross brace back in June and there have been no issues. I would have preferred the frame and cross braces be one solid piece though. I also recently noticed a little salt creep around the bottom seal as well, and I know that will not end well. The tank was set up on 10/31/15 and DSA is no longer in business to make a warranty claim.

Actually, I am starting to suspect the foxface of nipping but I have not caught him. I have noticed a couple corallites completely missing from a few acros recently. I’m hoping I bumped the corals while working on the tank, but I am keeping an eye on the foxface too. He is a great algae grazer, so hopefully I am just being paranoid. I think they are more likely to nip at zoas and lps, and I am having no issues with them.

merfish101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There have been a couple structural issues that made me order a replacement. First, DSA used an epoxy to glue the cross braces to the frame of the aquarium. I noticed about 1/3 of one of the cross braces has no epoxy and I can see daylight between the brace and frame in that spot. I added an additional cross brace back in June and there have been no issues. I would have preferred the frame and cross braces be one solid piece though. I also recently noticed a little salt creep around the bottom seal as well, and I know that will not end well. The tank was set up on 10/31/15 and DSA is no longer in business to make a warranty claim.

Actually, I am starting to suspect the foxface of nipping but I have not caught him. I have noticed a couple corallites completely missing from a few acros recently. I’m hoping I bumped the corals while working on the tank, but I am keeping an eye on the foxface too. He is a great algae grazer, so hopefully I am just being paranoid. I think they are more likely to nip at zoas and lps, and I am having no issues with them.
Have you decided which manufacture to go with this time?
Good luck with the foxface, the one I had seemed to love zoas, every kind

OP
OP
BigJim

BigJim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you decided which manufacture to go with this time?
Good luck with the foxface, the one I had seemed to love zoas, every kind

I went with AGE. They use powder coated stainless steel frames which will make me more comfortable.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks great!

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
lets get an update :) on your nice tank.

What are you aiming to keep your alk, calc, p04 and nitrates at? Also what are you dosing for amino acids, etc if you are?

OP
OP
BigJim

BigJim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My alk is around 8.0, calc is around 440, po4 is usually undetectable with a Hanna Phosphorous Checker and nitrates are between 5 and 10. I did dose KZ Flatworm Stop and Coral Booster but recently stopped. I did not had flatworms but dosed it to increase coral growth. I am going to start dosing it again but I am having trouble finding anyone with Coral Booster in Stock. Here are some photos from today.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice photos...tank looks terrific.

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
very very nice!

I am currently dosing FWS and coral booster but I have high copper in my latest triton test and I am worried that possibily has something to do with it. have you ever done a triton test?

OP
OP
BigJim

BigJim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very very nice!

I am currently dosing FWS and coral booster but I have high copper in my latest triton test and I am worried that possibily has something to do with it. have you ever done a triton test?

I have not done a Triton test.

OP
OP
BigJim

BigJim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a few shots I took earlier this week.

BC Vectorman. The tips are a brighter yellowish green in person but I can't capture it in pictures.

I got this from Cherry Corals and I think they called it red shortcake or something like that.

I almost lost the Shades of Fall but it is making a come back.

My Blueberry Diesel hasn't grown much but it has potential.

I got this from a local vendor and don't know a name for it. It is royal blue with yellow tips.

Just a random favia.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your corals are stunning and the images capture them perfectly. Nicely done.

OP
OP
BigJim

BigJim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how is everything going?

I had a nutrient issue that uglied things up and caused STN on a few corals. It seems I have corrected the issue and have things moving in the right direction again. I only lost one maricultured acro from the issue.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back