BigJim's 155 Tank Thread

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I had a nutrient issue that uglied things up and caused STN on a few corals. It seems I have corrected the issue and have things moving in the right direction again. I only lost one maricultured acro from the issue.

How high did the nutrients go?

OP
OP
BigJim

BigJim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How high did the nutrients go?

Nitrate around 50 and phosphate around .05. I had my lighting less intense because I always had low nutrients and I think the combination caused issues when the nutrients increased.

OP
OP
BigJim

BigJim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't updated the thread in a while. My tank issues were not resolved until about a month ago but things are turning around. Some coral still looks hideous but all are improving. Here are some shots of the happy ones. Hopefully it will look good enough for an updated FTS shot in a month or so.

zoas 2 092817 by Big Jim, on Flickr
pink lemonade 2 092817 by Big Jim, on Flickr
grapefruit 092817 by Big Jim, on Flickr
pink panther 2 092817 by Big Jim, on Flickr
wd tenuis 3 092817 by Big Jim, on Flickr
scoly 092817 by Big Jim, on Flickr
blueberry diesel 092817 by Big Jim, on Flickr

OP
OP
BigJim

BigJim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still have a few corals looking ugly from my summer tank issues, but things are looking better for the most part. Here is an updated FTS and some macro shots. Pardon my cables behind the glass. I recently cleaned all the pumps and need to do some cable management again.

FTS 102217 by Big Jim, on Flickr
wd tenuis 2 102517 by Big Jim, on Flickr
setosa 102517 by Big Jim, on Flickr
flamethrower 102517 by Big Jim, on Flickr
fascination favia 102517 by Big Jim, on Flickr
mummy eye 102517 by Big Jim, on Flickr
miami hurricane 102517 by Big Jim, on Flickr
bonsai 102517 by Big Jim, on Flickr

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Nikon D7000 with a Tokina 100mm macro lens. The FTS was taken with just the standard 30mm - 75mm lens.

Been wanting a macro lens for a long time i have came close to pulling the trigger several times just have a hard time justifying it but it sure does help with taking pictures on stuff like this. Does it have the image stabilizer built into it? I almost feel like that would be a must when taking pictures of swaying corals and fish.

OP
OP
BigJim

BigJim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been wanting a macro lens for a long time i have came close to pulling the trigger several times just have a hard time justifying it but it sure does help with taking pictures on stuff like this. Does it have the image stabilizer built into it? I almost feel like that would be a must when taking pictures of swaying corals and fish.

It does not have image stabilization. I turn off the pumps to limit the motion of the corals and use a tripod when I can. The WD and Setosa were shot free hand with the iso and shutter speed adjusted to reduce blur. Fish are difficult to shoot with a macro lens but it is possible with the right settings and some luck. I usually only keep about 1 out of every 10 fish photos I shoot.

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank and pics.

OP
OP
BigJim

BigJim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
BigJim

BigJim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took some fish pictures today and thought I would share. I rarely do this because getting good pictures of fish with a macro lens can be a challenge. They don't listen to me at all when I yell at them to be still.

This is my newest addition. He wiped out my aiptasia in less that a week and loves Rod's Original and LRS Reef Frenzy.
copperband 110417 by Big Jim, on Flickr

My Lyretail Anthias have been in the tank a little over a year. They certainly add a lot of color and movement to the tank.
anthias 5 110417 by Big Jim, on Flickr
anthias 3 110417 by Big Jim, on Flickr

The Magnificent Foxface is beautiful but high strung. Sometimes watching him stresses me out.
foxface 4 110417 by Big Jim, on Flickr

My Mystery Wrasse will be with me for 6 years in February. He is pretty docile compared to what most people say about them. He messed up his lower jaw jumping into the top of the tank a couple years ago, but he is still healthy. He is the only fish I have named. I call him Crazy Eyes for obvious reasons.
mystery wrasse 110417 by Big Jim, on Flickr

These two have been with me almost 5 years. They spawn weekly, but I have not yet tried to raise any of them.
clownfish 110417 by Big Jim, on Flickr

This little guys is a Randall's Assessor. He is tiny compared to his tank mates but they never seem to bother him. I'm not even sure they know he is there.
randalls assessor 110417 by Big Jim, on Flickr

My Harlequin Tusk and Starry Blenny would not cooperate with the photo shoot. I have had the blenny almost 7 years and he is usually easy to photograph. He was just all over the place today. I hope you enjoyed a few random photos.

OP
OP
BigJim

BigJim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
BigJim

BigJim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back