Bill's 100G Build!

Isletime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Just my 2nd post on R2R and I'm starting my build thread. I'm a long time lurker and up till now I have been maintaining a 30G AIO for the past 3 years. Time to step up my game and empty my wallet.

This build has been in the planning stages for about a year. I considered a dozen different tanks and sizes and ultimately decided to go with a custom 100G build from Reef Savvy. Included with the tank is a custom glass-holes 1500gph overflow. My understanding is that right now this overflow is only available through a tank purchase with Reef Savvy. The overflow is 24" long and about 1.5" deep. The tank finally showed up last week and I've spent the weekend doing plumbing, a leak test, etc.

IMG_7982-M.jpg

One of my primary goals with this build was to reduce the weekly maintenance, primarily water changes. I take my water changes seriously and I rarely miss a week of doing a 12-15% water change on my 30G tank. Keeping up with this on a larger tank was one of the largest concerns that delayed my move. I will be doing daily automated water changes with this new tank using a mixing station that I have built in my basement and a Litermeter 3 to do the water exchange. Right now I'm planning on exchanging 2-3 gallons per day with this setup. If there is interest I'll detail how all of this will work in a later post. I'll also be handling top-off with this same system.

Here is a picture of where the tank will be sitting. We put some ceramic tile in place to help keep the carpet from getting destroyed. That black circle towards the back is where the the Polyethylene RO tubing will go down into the basement for the water changes.

UF8A6053-M.jpg

I'm at the stage of filling up the tank with salt water. My mixing station can only handle about 25G per day, so it's going to take a good part of this week to get the water to the point of doing some scaping. Hopefully by this time next week I'll have some rock in the tank!

For equipment I will be using 2 Radion Pro's for lighting along with 2 MP40's for water movement. The sump will be running a Reef Dynamics INS135E Protein Skimmer, along with a Carbon and GFO reactor from BRS. I had originally purchased an Eheim compact+ 2000 for the return pump, but I'm not sure it's going to be enough. I may have to upgrade to the 3000 before long. I also have an Apex Controller on my 30G that I will eventually transition over to the new tank.

UF8A6068-M.jpg

Finally for rock I've purchased 100lbs of BRS Reef Saver dry rock. The rock has been "curing" in a brute with a couple of pieces of live rock from my 30G for the past 2.5 months and completed a nitrogen cycle quite some time ago. I'm hoping that this will speed up the cycle for the new tank!

Thanks for reading, and if you have any questions or suggestions let me know.

-Bill

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have the overflow from Reef Savvy and it's the one I am thinking of they are pretty sweet, plus they make sweet tanks. Good luck with the build.

OP
OP
I

Isletime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been about 3 weeks since my first post and things are coming along nicely. The tank is full and the aquascaping is complete (for now anyhow).

DSCF1003-M.jpg
DSCF1006-M.jpg

I'm about 50% of the way done with the plumbing, wiring, etc. Stil need to hook up my GFO and Carbon reactor and transition the Apex controller over from my old tank.

DSCF1004-M.jpg

Any suggestions on whether I should start running carbon now or hold off until I have some biomass in the tank? I assume I should wait on the GFO until I have some phosphates to remove as well? I'm pretty sure the tank has already cycled. The rocks were cured in a brute for about 2 months prior to moving them to the display tank. I observed a definite cycle in the brute by using a deli shrimp. I've seen no hints of ammonia or nitrites in the display tank and the nitrates are sitting at around 5ppm. I also added a deli shrimp to the display tank and still no ammonia spike. I figure I'll give it at least another week or two before adding anything to the tank.

Thoughts, comments, ideas all appreciated.

jm23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran carbon when I first set-up my tank due to all the new/used equipment, new plumbing, etc and not knowing what chemicals or possible toxins are on them. Not sure if it did anything, but the peace of mind was worth it.

bigfoot86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking tank. I'm in the same predictament as you. I dropped a raw piece shrimp in about a week ago to my new 90 gal tank, it only been running for a little over two weeks now, but I haven't detected any ammonia spike yet. Wondering whats goin on?!

OP
OP
I

Isletime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran carbon when I first set-up my tank due to all the new/used equipment, new plumbing, etc and not knowing what chemicals or possible toxins are on them. Not sure if it did anything, but the peace of mind was worth it.

Sounds like a good reason to get started with the carbon to me!

OP
OP
I

Isletime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking tank. I'm in the same predictament as you. I dropped a raw piece shrimp in about a week ago to my new 90 gal tank, it only been running for a little over two weeks now, but I haven't detected any ammonia spike yet. Wondering whats goin on?!

Did you cure your rock beforehand as well? I'm assuming that the bulk of the bacteria that was established during my curing have survived the transition to the new tank and that's why I haven't seen a cycle. I may add another deli shrimp and see if I can get my Nitrates to raise a little more without causing an ammonia spike. If that works then I'm going to say that I'm done and I can start to slowly transitions some things from my old tank.

Reef Fever

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, 48x24x20 with 1/2" low iron glass and a 2" eurobrace for helping with jumpers.
Awesome, Im acutally highly considering ordering a euro-braced 48x24x20 soon so I am glad i saw yours filled up. Definitely is pushing me closer to pullin the trigger!

OP
OP
I

Isletime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, Im acutally highly considering ordering a euro-braced 48x24x20 soon so I am glad i saw yours filled up. Definitely is pushing me closer to pullin the trigger!

So far I'm pretty happy with the size. Hopefully I won't develop an upgrade itch for a very long time! Not sure who you are looking at to build your tank, but Felix at Reef Savvy does a great job.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 161 73.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 36 16.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back