Billys comeback 80g shallow rimless build

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i recently had the opportunity to get back into the hobby after spending 4 years away. I bought an already running tank from someone who had to move out of state on short notice so it might not totally fit the term "build". The tank had some existing coral and bit of livestock. There was one anthia, cleaner shrimp, clown, porcelain anemone crab, rbta and various snails and hermits. Unfortunately during the move the anthias and shrimp didnt make it. I was pretty bummed because i have been successful at moving tanks in the past and i had high hopes for this journey. On the coral side there has only been one* loss (cyphastrea may be coming back regaining color!). The list of coral i inherited is frogspawn colony, huge leather, red and teal st thomas mushroom, cobalt mushrooms, and of course some GSP.
20190624_003942.jpg
this is right after i had it more or less running in my house day one. Uh i like to think diamond in the rough. Ill dig up more pictures and post the early stages progression tomorrow.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This will be a tank of potential. Nice start

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Wow - I can use chiller and more

OP
OP
gotmesalty77

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are dimensions?
Sorry about the delay the DT is 48x24x16 and a diy 40 breeder sump. Before i took my hiatus from the hobby i had really wanted this same tank but it was only a passing thought. All of a sudden it basically fell in my lap few years later. I couldn't say no. Put some hours in today and got some decent work done on my hack job simple sump.

OP
OP
gotmesalty77

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after the buffalo bills game today i had some frustration to burn on off so i worked on my sump. I fabbed a ato stand and hooked up my ato and pump. Did my best to "manage" the wires and make it look at least kind viewable. So many wires though and so little time. Threw on the full spectrum spare planted tank led i had. Figured why not let it push that cheato/dragons breath harder. Made sure my aqualifter had a siphon break. I plan on adding more baffles and a more dedicated fuge area but this will work for now.
20190930_043719.jpg

OP
OP
gotmesalty77

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So until i can get another rms mount my tank is going to run only two lights. Mp40s opposing sides. 2 Hydor gen 3 2450 gph shooting towards the front of the tank, overkill i know but i was hooked up with 2 brand new ones for helping a guy move his tank. I wanted to see them in action. So far I'm impressed with those lil guys. Anyone use them?

20190930_022706.jpg

OP
OP
gotmesalty77

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after a long battle i finally was able to get the tanks nitrates under control. Because of the hasty nature in which i got the tank, i stupidly didn't change out the sand the original owner had which became a nitrate factory (I think). Im pretty sure he mentioned not doing a water change in a year. The obvious agitation from the move unleashed the demons and had my nitrates at 100ppm or more for much to long. Basically I turned the sump into a refugium and used half doses of Nopox to help start bringing the nitrates down. I also got a kessil h80 to grow everything. Lastly I slowly added marine pure gems to help aid biological filtration. As of now the last 2 weeks they have been 10ppm to 20ppm. Annnddd then cyano showed me who the boss is. Currently reading and deciding on a plan of attack.

ruskimax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ChemiClean is amazing. Usually magic fixes in a bottle are a waste of money, but ive used several times w no issues as has countless people here. Prob from dropping your nitrates too far/too fast, happens in my tank as well.

OP
OP
gotmesalty77

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ChemiClean is amazing. Usually magic fixes in a bottle are a waste of money, but ive used several times w no issues as has countless people here. Prob from dropping your nitrates too far/too fast, happens in my tank as well.
So it's funny you mention that, today i picked some up and was going to research it this weekend before actually dumping it in. I feel like I've gotten to quick dumping chemicals in but i am so sick of battling stuff. Ive heard good things about it. Im glad you commented.

ruskimax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it's funny you mention that, today i picked some up and was going to research it this weekend before actually dumping it in. I feel like I've gotten to quick dumping chemicals in but i am so sick of battling stuff. Ive heard good things about it. Im glad you commented.
Good luck man, just follow directions and by day 3-4 it'll be cleared up basically. Gets weakened sooner and stops affecting corals as much, but takes a full few days to disappear. I usually just let my nutrients run a bit higher after and then after a few weeks-months you'll be safe again.

OP
OP
gotmesalty77

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I've been meaning to post my current equipment list.

Vectra m2 return pump
3x radion gen 4 xr15
2x vortech mp40wqd
Eshopps s-120
Hydor smart level ato
Kessil H80 fuge light

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back