OP
OP
B

billydv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LR? Just not familiar with the abbreviations on this forum yet lol.
Im thinking maybe the solution here maybe is remove bioballs, close the bottom of that trickle tower, install a standpipe- maybe 2", swap out the bioballs for that ceramic porous stuff- maybe the blocks from BRS. This way I have biological filtration complete with denitrification

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LR? Just not familiar with the abbreviations on this forum yet lol.
Im thinking maybe the solution here maybe is remove bioballs, close the bottom of that trickle tower, install a standpipe- maybe 2", swap out the bioballs for that ceramic porous stuff- maybe the blocks from BRS. This way I have biological filtration complete with denitrification
LR=Live Rock. Can you take a pic of your filter, it would be easier for us to help you with possible mods. I modify the crap out of my sumps all the time.

OP
OP
B

billydv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, unfortunately I cannot change the water level in the sump simply. 3 float switches control level, shutoff and ato. Would be too much of a pain. But changing the level of the trickle tower is simple. Replace the bottom open grid with plexiglass. Insert a 2" bulkhead with a 2" pvc standpipe. That allows me to adjust level simply swapping out the pipe with longer or shorter. Then simply replace the bioballs with seachem matrix. Won't need anywhere near as much.
What do u think?

Attachments

• 20230924_141402.jpg
    20230924_141402.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 20230924_141406.jpg
    20230924_141406.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 30
OP
OP
B

billydv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw lol,
Thats some kind of rock but im not sure it's live porous rock. Was bought as decoration

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, it's a really small space. Personally, I would put Seachem Matrix there and call it a day. It would be the easiest maintenance. Clean it in RO water, and put it back in.

OP
OP
B

billydv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The display tank has 1 bag of sand and 2 rocks, not enough. I think though that matrix stuff has the best reviews. The other stuff BRS sells is too brittle, breaks too easy. Going to plan a mod with the matrix

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 167 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.6%
Back