Bioball replacement

billydv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still have my custom built wet dry trickle filter in the sump. I guess dry live rock now the recommended way to go. Any suggestions for swapping the bioballs with something else?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still have my custom built wet dry trickle filter in the sump. I guess dry live rock now the recommended way to go. Any suggestions for swapping the bioballs with something else?
Like rock rubble?

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think dry rock will sustain the same nutrient mechanisms as the bioballs, in the same oxygen rich environment. Meaning the rock, if placed in your wet dry will act very similar to your bio balls by processing ammonia quickly to nitrite, and will do little for denitrification.

I think replacing them with rock (or anything) would be a waste of money.

What's got you attached to the wet/dry?

Last edited:

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think dry rock will sustain the same nutrient mechanisms as the bioballs, in the same oxygen rich environment. Meaning the rock, if placed in your wet dry will act very similar to your bio balls by processing ammonia quickly to nitrite, and will do little for denitrification.

I think replacing them with rock (or anything) would be a waste of money.

What's got you attached to the wet/dry?
Dry rock doesn't have the porosity of ceramic media.

OP
OP
B

billydv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was all setup LONG LONG ago. 30 or 40 years ago wet dry trickle filters were the thing. I also run a Korallin sulphur denitrator with a secondary media reactor filled with aragonite. The protein skimmer is a 35 year old Euroreef (needle wheel pump has now been replaced with a dc version). This was previous science for saltwater fishkeeping. I have lots of colored coral decorations so replacement with live rock not really an option

OP
OP
B

billydv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes,
I was looking at the Seachem matrix stuff. Looks like that might be one of my next renovations here lol

Attachments

• 20230924_061745.jpg
    20230924_061745.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 40

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are you thinking of replacing the bioballs?

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seachem Matrix. I have used this pumice like material in sump tanks for Bio filtration for about 8 years now with extremely good results.
I won't run a tank without it. It is literally the most porous pumice on the planet. It does do better in a reactor than in a bag.

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fluval bio-fx media looks interesting as well and you get a lot more for the money than matrix IIRC.

OP, are you trying to correct a problem or are you just changing it because you think you should?

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fluval bio-fx media looks interesting as well and you get a lot more for the money than matrix IIRC.

OP, are you trying to correct a problem or are you just changing it because you think you should?
Bio-balls are a problem.

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Siporax is also very good. I have a their large box in a reactor with high flow and a second in a reactor with very slow flow in my sump. Did this to save room when I took out all my bio balls from the sump chamber. I also have 100 pounds of live rock in another chamber, which I got from someone who had a them in his sump chamber for his two very large tanks. 1000 gallons. The live rock get high flow and very little light. My sump is 72x21x20.

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. I added a bio pellet LifeGard xl too, to manage nitrates as he added a Sulphur denitrator. I found a great idea ,from a reefer overseas, which I made is to add bio balls into a tall tower so water trickles, slowly and over them and out the bottom to help with gas exchange and increase O2 in the water. The towers have to be out of the water so that all the bio balls are not standing in water. I found places that sell these, looks like they have plastic hair curler looking things in the tower. The towers are pricey, and the curler things sell for like 100 bucks. Guy overseas uses bio balls. My 300 has a good number of fish in it so I figured this would help.

OP
OP
B

billydv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im thinking of changing the bio balls out so that maybe I can improve efficiency of the biological process but ideally live rock in the main tank would have been the solution. I just dont want to swap decorations

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im thinking of changing the bio balls out so that maybe I can improve efficiency of the biological process but ideally live rock in the main tank would have been the solution. I just dont want to swap decorations
Put a small light on that LR in and algae will grow on it, it's like a little scrubber.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back