BioBase vs BioBase ULNS

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

takeo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

I recently had my first N-DOC analysis done and was suggested to dose BioBase ULNS. I know that it's supposed to be a nutrition supply for low nutrition systems, but I was wondering when to use the ULNS version instead of the regular one. In fact, what are the differences in composition? Could I just use the regular BioBase to boost my nutrients to a higher level when having a ULNS like I do?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regular BioBase includes a carbon source (think vinegar dosing). BioBase ULNS doesn’t, so the idea is that it won’t push your nutrients lower since they are already low, it just adds a balanced supply of N and P.

Personally I run pretty low nutrient, N around 1ppm or lower and P04 around 0.03. I notice positive benefits from dosing the regular BioBase (less cyano, healthier corals), but I’m also dosing NH Alpha daily to make sure my N doesn’t drop.

OP
OP
T

takeo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regular BioBase includes a carbon source (think vinegar dosing). BioBase ULNS doesn’t, so the idea is that it won’t push your nutrients lower since they are already low, it just adds a balanced supply of N and P.

Personally I run pretty low nutrient, N around 1ppm or lower and P04 around 0.03. I notice positive benefits from dosing the regular BioBase (less cyano, healthier corals), but I’m also dosing NH Alpha daily to make sure my N doesn’t drop.
Thanks for your fast response. That makes a lot more sense than my assumption.

If I may ask, why don't you just dose BioBase ULNS yourself? Or did you try it and it didn't have the desired effect?

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did try it but didn’t notice any real impact. My system can suck down the nutrients, and I don’t think they’re high enough in the BioBase ulns.

Also I wanted to carbon dose just to drive bacterial diversity for coral health. I would have just used vinegar, but the BioBase smells just like vinegar and I tend to trust Triton purity.

OP
OP
T

takeo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did try it but didn’t notice any real impact. My system can suck down the nutrients, and I don’t think they’re high enough in the BioBase ulns.

Also I wanted to carbon dose just to drive bacterial diversity for coral health. I would have just used vinegar, but the BioBase smells just like vinegar and I tend to trust Triton purity.
How much of BioBase and NH Alpha do you dose daily?

My tank runs on almost the same nutrient levels as yours and I've been dosing BioBase ULNS for two month now, but I have yet to see any difference. I'd give your routine a shot.

Last edited:

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm dosing 0.4ml BioBase. That's based on the calculator given my dosing of Triton Core (20ml/day).

I've got a 100g, with about 20g in the sump. 10g of which is the refugium. I'm currently dosing about 1ml/day of NH Alpha to keep Nitrate detectable.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back