Biocube 16 tank build

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get out of my head!

I was looking at the ai prime HD’s last night.

Tank Dimensions: 15" long X 16.75" Wide X 17.5" High

I don’t currently run a skimmer as that is impossible on the biocube 16 with the lid. It is one of those all in one systems.

Look into shipping for me 80017 unless you happen to live in Colorado
Haha! You're funny. Hey you'll be pleased to know that I also have a bio cube! They don't make the 20 gallon anymore. I've had it for probably 12 years. Just dug it out of the basement to upgrade to. It was an all in one. Was...I cut the divider compartment out of the back as I don't need it. I've had that refugium for as many years too. I knew I was going to use it and the compartment in the back was only wasting tank space for me. The refugium does and houses all the compartments in the back do and it's much prettier! It's almost like having another tank with a completely different environment and look. I love looking at it. So I obviously don't have a canopy or rear compartment on my Nano cube anymore. Obviously I don't have the return pump in the back anymore so I run 2 Jebao SW2 wave makers which you can see in my video. I actually just replaced them both with one Gyre wave maker, a Jebao SCP-70.

IMG_20200802_105819.jpg IMG_20200802_105845.jpg

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once I get my new refugium set up which will be hopefully early this week I'll get everything together and get a shipping quote for you! I live in NY lol

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought an AI prime and a CPR hang on back fuge!

Hurry up Thursday! Can’t wait for the new toys!
Oh awesome, you got the fuge too!! You're gonna be so happy with those upgrades! I promise you. Have you thought about a substrate yet? May want to give it some consideration and order some tonight so you don't have to wait too long after you get everything to set it up. I do have some suggestions if you are looking/wondering.

OP
OP
Reefing_addiction

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh awesome, you got the fuge too!! You're gonna be so happy with those upgrades! I promise you. Have you thought about a substrate yet? May want to give it some consideration and order some tonight so you don't have to wait too long after you get everything to set it up. I do have some suggestions if you are looking/wondering.

I figured I have a good bit of sand in my tank so I’ll just use some of that and my chaeto that’s already in my tank. I was thinking about a piece of rock? But it wouldn’t be cycled. Unless my LFS has some that’s ready to go. As far as water I’ll go and pick up another 2.5 from LFS.

But I’ve been considering mixing my own water. I think I saw Red Sea sells salt with trace elements (I think) and I though with my corals and all maybe that would be a good thing

What’s you input on this

OP
OP
Reefing_addiction

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So for flow once I get that fuge I have a Hyger (sp?) wAVE MAKER and another simple petco wave water. That should work for now right

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for flow once I get that fuge I have a Hyger (sp?) wAVE MAKER and another simple petco wave water. That should work for now right
Yes. That should be enough. And you'll know if it's not, your corals will tell you. You can always shoot a video too and let me see it and I'll tell you.

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured I have a good bit of sand in my tank so I’ll just use some of that and my chaeto that’s already in my tank. I was thinking about a piece of rock? But it wouldn’t be cycled. Unless my LFS has some that’s ready to go. As far as water I’ll go and pick up another 2.5 from LFS.

But I’ve been considering mixing my own water. I think I saw Red Sea sells salt with trace elements (I think) and I though with my corals and all maybe that would be a good thing

What’s you input on this
I actually used to use premixed saltwater but just recently switched myself. I use Brightwell Aquatics Neo Marine salt now. I also dose Trace elements. You could always buy Replenish from Brightwell https://www.brightwellaquatics.com/products/replenish.php In the top right corner click technical and look in the top right corner again and it will show related products. Do some research on other salts as I'm not sure about other companies. Some have higher Alk/Ca/Mag than others, some have no added nutrients. I'm just sure about Brightwell and I love their products. I own/use 33 different products of theirs! Lol my refugium substrate is made especially for refugiums by them. You can absolutely use your aquarium sand though. Again I'm running a show tank so I did everything the best.
As far is putting an "uncycled" rock in there it's fine. Especially if it's small. I actually just mixed up some Cement, crushed coral, sand and salt to make my own rocks. Got a cool idea for frag rocks.

IMG_20200712_163701.jpg

OP
OP
Reefing_addiction

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sooooooo mad at myself.
Ordered ai prime freshwater instead of reef

Returning it to Amazon.

The seller who has the reef says delivery between the 14-19. Grrrrr.

Gonna all local LFS tomorrow’ and see if they got one I guess

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sooooooo mad at myself.
Ordered ai prime freshwater instead of reef

Returning it to Amazon.

The seller who has the reef says delivery between the 14-19. Grrrrr.

Gonna all local LFS tomorrow’ and see if they got one I guess
Oh noooooo!!!
Ya there's several different models, one a refugium too.
Hey speaking of which I set my new one up today!!

IMG_20200805_142526.jpg

OP
OP
Reefing_addiction

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So got this set up last night
B5CD5275-38F4-47C1-A10F-00B05B4938B8.jpeg
D7D13DB7-BE0C-40EC-942D-DA06AEA08F1E.jpeg

Had to dismantle my tank to catch those little shrimp! But I got them! Now today I’ll do my wc and fix my dt. On Monday my new AI prime comes in ( as long as fed ex doesn’t act like buttholes again) and I’ll be able to remove my hood and get that looking right. Definitely gonna be using my ATO when that hood comes off!

Need to change the wave maker settings at some point. Amp it up a little!

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Had to dismantle my tank to catch those little shrimp! But I got them! Now today I’ll do my wc and fix my dt. On Monday my new AI prime comes in ( as long as fed ex doesn’t act like buttholes again) and I’ll be able to remove my hood and get that looking right. Definitely gonna be using my ATO when that hood comes off!

Excited for ya!

jk_s124

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Looks great!

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hey also if I were you I would run that light over the fuge opposite your main tank lights. Basically what it does is helps to keep your pH stable. Durring the day to zoaxenthalle in the corals are photosynthesizing using up carbon dioxide and at night when the lights are off they are not causing Co2 build up at night and you will get pH swings. If you run the light over your refugium on the opposite schedule the Chaeto will be photosynthesizing using up CO2 at night thus causing your pH to remain stable day and night.

OP
OP
Reefing_addiction

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water change done today with Red Sea cork pro! Have to say it mixed fast! And I did t have any yucky stuff in my bucket! With this water change and my Hanna checker got my dkh up to 8.8. Salinity is around 1.026 calcium closer to 500. My nyos test kits come in this week so I can test my water for mag and nitrates. LFS says my nitrates are between 25-50 (something a little more exact would have been nice)

1E56EA55-08A2-4205-B900-3CE188758980.jpeg 4A4CCFBE-C3BF-4A90-933C-776D1B1B76DC.jpeg

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water change done today with Red Sea cork pro! Have to say it mixed fast! And I did t have any yucky stuff in my bucket! With this water change and my Hanna checker got my dkh up to 8.8. Salinity is around 1.026 calcium closer to 500. My nyos test kits come in this week so I can test my water for mag and nitrates. LFS says my nitrates are between 25-50 (something a little more exact would have been nice)

1E56EA55-08A2-4205-B900-3CE188758980.jpeg 4A4CCFBE-C3BF-4A90-933C-776D1B1B76DC.jpeg
Lol Ummm yea something a little more narrowed down would have been nice. That's like saying that car cost between $50,000 and $100,000. Big gap there. Regardless though that's still pretty high and you'll want to get those down. Once those test kits come in you'll be able to get a better idea. It's nice when the salt mixes up fast huh! My Neo Marine mixes really fast too. I usually mix up 4.4 gallons at a time and toss a small powerhead in the Jug and keep it on the ready to use over the next two weeks. You may want to consider a protein skimmer to help get those nitrates down. I'm not sure if I have asked you this morning. But when you feed do you strain excess water out of your thawed food and only feed the solids? That will also help to reduce Nitrates.

OP
OP
Reefing_addiction

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol Ummm yea something a little more narrowed down would have been nice. That's like saying that car cost between $50,000 and $100,000. Big gap there. Regardless though that's still pretty high and you'll want to get those down. Once those test kits come in you'll be able to get a better idea. It's nice when the salt mixes up fast huh! My Neo Marine mixes really fast too. I usually mix up 4.4 gallons at a time and toss a small powerhead in the Jug and keep it on the ready to use over the next two weeks. You may want to consider a protein skimmer to help get those nitrates down. I'm not sure if I have asked you this morning. But when you feed do you strain excess water out of your thawed food and only feed the solids? That will also help to reduce Nitrates.
So I feed several different foods. I do t defrost my frozen stuff, and I just got some masstick which seems pretty awesome!

Now that I’m upgrading my light and I got the fuge I’m going to look at getting a skimmer because I’ll be able to hook it up.

OP
OP
Reefing_addiction

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I hung my fuge on the side there was the hole the return pump use to use and obviously now it doesn’t. Ends up acting like another overflow no big deal, right? Wrong!

Came home today freaked out i can’t find my Mandarin! Start taking rocks out. Still no luck. Next i turn the return pump off try and see in there can’t see anything pull all my filter media out and than feel where the pump pulls water from the middle chamber and BINGO I feel a little fish trying to get away. I cupped him in my hand and place him back in the dt.

Grrr f’in fish!

Back