BIOCUBE 29

Digicop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased a BIOCUBE 29 with the older CF light hood. I would prefer not to have to mod the hood for LEDs and definitely want to keep the top on the system. .

The tank came with two actinic CF bulbs instead of 1 white and 1 actinic. The white bulb had been removed and replaced with one of the actinic bulbs. It also had the stock blue LEDs in between the two CF and 2 of the original LED modules added to the rear 4 slots, so I have two more slots open.

DELIMA
Is it worth buying two more of the original blue LED modules, if I can find, to put in the back two slots? Can I switch out the CF bulbs with higher watt bulbs without changing a ballast? Do they make T5 bulbs that would work without mod-ing? Why would T5s be better than CF, if this is correct? I assume it has a different color range of light.

I basically would like to upgrade the existing hood to better lighting without changing any parts other than lights.

I know I asked a lot of questions, please feel free to answer what you can. I just don't want to waste a bunch of money trying something that will not work.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same tank. I used the 10,000K white and the actinic blues and added the blue LED to all of the extension modules. I was able to keep zoas, hammers, duncan, acans, birds nest, pocilopora and monti cap successfully. Never tried anything else. I'm sure it wouldn't have been enough light for acros.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back