Biocube 32 filtration strategy

wrz0170

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning everyone! My BC32 is getting closer to water ready to begin the cycle. There seems to be a dizzying array of filtration products and the combinations of those products.

Currently I have the Intank basket. Filter floss and Seachem matrix. I don’t expect a heavy bio load nor heavy feeding. Planned 10% weekly WC. If you were hoping to NOT run a skimmer or a fuge for chaeto, what would you run?

Thanks for your assistance and have a great day!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heres how filtration works in a nano reef

running the system totally empty where the pumps provide only current gives you the exact same outcome as packing it with matrix and floss. there is zero advantage gained by adding the extra surface area, its just something we're trained to do / spend

if you added phosphate or nitrate removing media thatd make a discernible change, but not the kind designed for ammonia control. your rocks and sand handle all of it, and adding more to the back specifically does not help your tank more, or provide more fish carry than running the back area totally empty. we're merely trained buyers when it comes to reef tank filtration

that being said, nobody can resist the training. go ahead and pack in fifty bucks of extra surface area, its totally harmless to do so. any reef you know has done so :)

to save you headache on cycling, do this easy way

add a bottle bac specifically for cycling, not tank cleaning it says the difference on the label

add two pinches of common fish food ground up well

wait five days, you are cycled and no testing needed. easy.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's how I ran my pico. Use some type of carbon (GAC or other similar product - not too much, you cannot add more GAC to make up for no skimmer) and some kind of phosphate removal media - not lanthunum since no skimmer (although some have stated it works with polishing filter). The matrix you have will provide some additional surface area but I've found it doesn't really do anything for nutrient export (NO3/PO4). I have it in my sump but only for seeding tanks.

Keep some PolyFilter on hand for emergencies.

Plan on 20-25% WC weekly once you start adding bioload this is your main nutrient export so be prepared to use it. You maybe able to reduce to 10% but plan on the larger amount. I assumed you're not using live or wet rock since you didn't mention it, if so, it will help considerably early on.

Everything has be to done slower. Adding fish, changing feeding, etc.

If you go very thin on bioload you may at some point be able to reduce WC considerably. Depends on a bunch of variable that's hard to foresee here.

Oh...and test weekly at a minimum. That and WC are key and since no skimmer/algae removal you don't have any leeway in not doing those weekly.

Good luck...like to see some pics once it's established.

Edited - Forgot to add cleaning needs to be regular as well. Vacuum sand bed, turkey baster on rocks, change filter often...the more you can remove detritus before it breaks down the easier and less WC you'll have to do.

It's very doable btw - but as you can see it requires a dedicated and consistent maintenance plan.

Last edited:

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using carbon makes a difference agreed, best water polisher we have probably. ultimate clarity

OP
OP
wrz0170

wrz0170

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's how I ran my pico. Use some type of carbon (GAC or other similar product - not too much, you cannot add more GAC to make up for no skimmer) and some kind of phosphate removal media - not lanthunum since no skimmer (although some have stated it works with polishing filter). The matrix you have will provide some additional surface area but I've found it doesn't really do anything for nutrient export (NO3/PO4). I have it in my sump but only for seeding tanks.

Keep some PolyFilter on hand for emergencies.

Plan on 20-25% WC weekly once you start adding bioload this is your main nutrient export so be prepared to use it. You maybe able to reduce to 10% but plan on the larger amount. I assumed you're not using live or wet rock since you didn't mention it, if so, it will help considerably early on.

Everything has be to done slower. Adding fish, changing feeding, etc.

If you go very thin on bioload you may at some point be able to reduce WC considerably. Depends on a bunch of variable that's hard to foresee here.

Oh...and test weekly at a minimum. That and WC are key and since no skimmer/algae removal you don't have any leeway in not doing those weekly.

Good luck...like to see some pics once it's established.

Edited - Forgot to add cleaning needs to be regular as well. Vacuum sand bed, turkey baster on rocks, change filter often...the more you can remove detritus before it breaks down the easier and less WC you'll have to do.

It's very doable btw - but as you can see it requires a dedicated and consistent maintenance plan.
Thank you! Def taking it slow. Just don’t want to run out and buy media reactors, skimmers and UV sterilizers which take up valuable real estate and plug space unless something isn‘t going right.

Will do on the pics.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back