Biocube 32 upgrade dilemma

  • Thread starter Thread starter tdubs
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

tdubs

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 22, 2025
Messages
65
Reaction score
57
Location
USA
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I upgraded my return pump to a similar output DC pump by Hygger. I love the pump, it is completely silent now. I am swapping out the return head for a dual nozzle design with the intent of having one head used to break surface tension and the other to provide flow.. Now I would also like to upgrade the pump to the next sized Hygger which is 660gph, almost twice the output of the factory pump-

My question- will the return chambers be able to keep up with the demand of the pump or I am going to cause too many issues by doing this? I have heard of people sawing off some of the grill intake pieces to compensate for the increased demand.. I really don't want to physically modify the tank.

Thanks!
 
My first question is why you want a return water flow which gives you a water turnover rate higher than 20 times per hour?

I do not know Hygger´s pumps but DC pumps use to have a controller there you can adjust the flow the way you want. The ones I know normally allows you to vary the flow between 30 - 100% of the maximum flow.

Sincerely Lasse
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 16 29.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 32.7%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new