Biocube DIY lid help

Fishbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m taking off the Biocube lid cause I am NOT a fan of the lights or the low par. Right now I’m in the planning stages for building a screen lid but I can’t find a screen kit that fits. When I look on Home Depot there’s none that fit the Biocube. Can any body recommend a kit that fits or works for the Biocube 32? I just need the kit not the mesh.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as I know there are no off the shelf screen kits for the biocube, you will have to fabricate one or look at some of the custom lid manufacturers out there.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curved glass, not going to happen with regular window screen kits. They are designed for square, or rectangle shapes, not curved.

I would look into having one made out of acrylic as it will fit way tighter then anything you can DIY. The only problem going that route, they are usually quite expensive.

OP
OP
Fishbro

Fishbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I can’t do a custom one if it’ll be $135 what could I use with the mesh to fabricate the shape of the Biocube? Like a plastic or something?

Ratherbeflyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used 6mm acrylic. My lids are square, except where it goes around the over the back return line. So I cut straight 1.5" strips and used a router to cut a 1/8" groove to hold screen spline.

IMG_20180512_172835.jpg

IMG_20180513_230810.jpg

IMG_20180518_125413.jpg

IMG_20180518_125532.jpg

If I was going to make one for a biocube, or any other complex shapes, I would skip the strips and gluing. I would just use one solid piece of acrylic and cut/sand the outside and inside shapes I wanted. Then use the router to cut the slot, install the netting and screen spline.

OP
OP
Fishbro

Fishbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used 6mm acrylic. My lids are square, except where it goes around the over the back return line. So I cut straight 1.5" strips and used a router to cut a 1/8" groove to hold screen spline.

IMG_20180512_172835.jpg

IMG_20180513_230810.jpg

IMG_20180518_125413.jpg

IMG_20180518_125532.jpg

If I was going to make one for a biocube, or any other complex shapes, I would skip the strips and gluing. I would just use one solid piece of acrylic and cut/sand the outside and inside shapes I wanted. Then use the router to cut the slot, install the netting and screen spline.
Any advice for making a diy lid out of acrylic? I don’t have any experience with cutting acrylic or anything so just wondering.

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a biocube 29 and have been entertaining the idea of using a plastic screen kit and using a heat gun to bend the front rail to match the curved glass. I might actually give this a shot this weekend. The acrylic option would be the nicest but also the most work intensive and expensive.

Ratherbeflyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any advice for making a diy lid out of acrylic? I don’t have any experience with cutting acrylic or anything so just wondering.

I would start by using a piece of cardboard or something similar and cut it out to a shape you like on the tank. Then trace that cardboard onto a sheet of acrylic, color of your choice but clear is usually cheaper. The acrylic sheets usually come with a paper or plastic protective coating that you can write on to trace your pattern. Then cut it out. Cutting acrylic can be a bit tricky. They do make special tools or saw blades to cut acrylic, but I've always just used an 80 tooth carbide wood table saw and/or chop saw. The more teeth on the blade the better. If you move too fast it can chip, and if you move too slow it burns/melts the acrylic. It's not hard though. You can also do it with a fine tooth hand saw if you want. For drilling holes, I recommend using a step drill as regular drill bits can break the acrylic if the bit binds. Acrylic also sands pretty easy both to shape and polish/buff to a fine finish.

There are lots of threads on here and youtube on making things from acrylic. A lid is great first project. It's not like its going to dump a bunch of water on the floor if it fails. Give it a try.

If you're not confortable working with acrylic, you could probably use wood and several coats of urethane to seal it.

Xyloxo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m taking off the Biocube lid cause I am NOT a fan of the lights or the low par. Right now I’m in the planning stages for building a screen lid but I can’t find a screen kit that fits. When I look on Home Depot there’s none that fit the Biocube. Can any body recommend a kit that fits or works for the Biocube 32? I just need the kit not the mesh.
Have you considered Steve's LED's? I upgraded mine recently and I'm so glad I did.

OP
OP
Fishbro

Fishbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered Steve's LED's? I upgraded mine recently and I'm so glad I did.
I have but for like $375 I could get lights with a better functionality and I just want to have a light I can put on different tanks. They look really nice and I was seriously considering them for a time but I am choosing to go with a different one.

OP
OP
Fishbro

Fishbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start by using a piece of cardboard or something similar and cut it out to a shape you like on the tank. Then trace that cardboard onto a sheet of acrylic, color of your choice but clear is usually cheaper. The acrylic sheets usually come with a paper or plastic protective coating that you can write on to trace your pattern. Then cut it out. Cutting acrylic can be a bit tricky. They do make special tools or saw blades to cut acrylic, but I've always just used an 80 tooth carbide wood table saw and/or chop saw. The more teeth on the blade the better. If you move too fast it can chip, and if you move too slow it burns/melts the acrylic. It's not hard though. You can also do it with a fine tooth hand saw if you want. For drilling holes, I recommend using a step drill as regular drill bits can break the acrylic if the bit binds. Acrylic also sands pretty easy both to shape and polish/buff to a fine finish.

There are lots of threads on here and youtube on making things from acrylic. A lid is great first project. It's not like its going to dump a bunch of water on the floor if it fails. Give it a try.

If you're not confortable working with acrylic, you could probably use wood and several coats of urethane to seal it.
I’m actually really considering wood now. Is there any MAJOR downside to it if I waterproof it? Also, is it possible to bend wood to fit the shape of the Biocube?

Ratherbeflyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wood will be a lot cheaper and easier to work with. The only real downside is will not last as long as something acrylic, pvc, plastic, etc.

There are lots of choices of suitable woods. Just stay away from anything that is treated / pressure treated for outdoor use or has natural oils or insecticides like cedar or cypress. If the wood is toxic to insects, it's probably toxic to your tank too. You should be able to get pine, oak, and birch at a local hardware store.

I don't know what shop equipment you have, but suggest trying a sheet of 1/4" plywood. A 4'x8' sheet of underlayment is less than $15. You can step up to a nicer sheet of finish, or go with solid wood of your choice.

What ever you choose, make sure to use a good water sealer. I used helmsman winax on the wood for my stand and it has held up well.

OP
OP
Fishbro

Fishbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wood will be a lot cheaper and easier to work with. The only real downside is will not last as long as something acrylic, pvc, plastic, etc.

There are lots of choices of suitable woods. Just stay away from anything that is treated / pressure treated for outdoor use or has natural oils or insecticides like cedar or cypress. If the wood is toxic to insects, it's probably toxic to your tank too. You should be able to get pine, oak, and birch at a local hardware store.

I don't know what shop equipment you have, but suggest trying a sheet of 1/4" plywood. A 4'x8' sheet of underlayment is less than $15. You can step up to a nicer sheet of finish, or go with solid wood of your choice.

What ever you choose, make sure to use a good water sealer. I used helmsman winax on the wood for my stand and it has held up well.

Ok this is very helpful I’m definitely going with wood now so about the curve of the Biocube, do you just use a saw that can cut curves and just sand it down? My really good friend has a wood shop and wasn’t comfortable cutting acrylic but wood would work and she has basically ever took you can imagine.

Ratherbeflyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok this is very helpful I’m definitely going with wood now so about the curve of the Biocube, do you just use a saw that can cut curves and just sand it down? My really good friend has a wood shop and wasn’t comfortable cutting acrylic but wood would work and she has basically ever took you can imagine.

I would use a jig saw, only because that is what I have. A bandsaw, scroll saw, or even a hand saw would work. What ever you choose, you'll want to sand it afterwards. The closer and smoother you can cut to where you want the finished product, the less sanding you have to do. Sanding is no big deal though, just time.

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I thought I'd make a mockup to get an idea of how this would work.

I couldn't find a plastic kit so I couldn't bend it the way I wanted. I tried bending the aluminum but that didn't work out.

Here's the monstrosity err results

20200416_154522_HDR.jpg
20200416_153043.jpg

Problems:

*My fans prohibit me from pushing it all the way back so it casts a shadow on the back wall

*Could not bend the front so at maximum it would only prevent 95% of escape attempts

*mesh size is too fine blocks too much light, I think I lost atleast 15%par

Pros:

*took 10 minutes to do

*only spent $17

*integrated feeding slot

*learned alot from it

Conclusion:

GARBAGE

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_20180512_172835.jpg

IMG_20180513_230810.jpg

IMG_20180518_125413.jpg

IMG_20180518_125532.jpg

you did a great job! how did you stretch the net and keep it so? how did you attach it to the frame?

Ratherbeflyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you did a great job! how did you stretch the net and keep it so? how did you attach it to the frame?

Thank you.

I cut a slot into the acrylic using an 1/8" router bit. Then to attach the netting to the frame, I used 1/8" window screen spline.

Stretching the netting is really easy. Just pull it tight by hand and then push the spline into the groove on top of the netting. Then trim off the excess netting and you're done. It's the exact same process as replacing a window screen except I used acrylic for the frame.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back