Biocube filtration

abryant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been having trouble trying to keep my nitrates low in my biocube I currently have the coral Life biocube skimmer and it completely sucks I get zero skim just water, and then on top of that I use filter floss purigen and carbon. I was wondering what could I use to help lower my nitrates because clearly that skimmer doesn’t work, would a canister filter work? And I’m looking to keep the lid on mine so I don’t want I big skimmer that wouldn’t fit with the lid on, anyone have any suggestions?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been having trouble trying to keep my nitrates low in my biocube I currently have the coral Life biocube skimmer and it completely sucks I get zero skim just water, and then on top of that I use filter floss purigen and carbon. I was wondering what could I use to help lower my nitrates because clearly that skimmer doesn’t work, would a canister filter work? And I’m looking to keep the lid on mine so I don’t want I big skimmer that wouldn’t fit with the lid on, anyone have any suggestions?

20% FAITHFUL, WEEKLY water changes will have a huge impact on your nitrates.

What exactly are your nitrate numbers?

What and how often are you feeding?

diverjm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do weekly 20% water changes, along with utilizing the refugium rack from intank filled with Cheato. I average between 2-5ppm of nitrate. I was running my fuge light for 10hrs which was too much giving me a 2ppm reading. I backed off the lighting to 4 hrs which gives me 5ppm.

OP
OP
A

abryant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely need to know your water change schedule and stocking list of fish.
5 gallon water changed every other week, had two clowns now down to 1, royal gramma, baby hippo tang(don’t want to hear anything about him due to tank size he’s doing great) watchman goby pistol shrimp, just got a cleaner shrimp a couple days ago. I didn’t realize my nitrates were so high I had a crappy test kit so I didn’t realize it but now by about a week my nitrates are about 20-50 so I had to start doing weekly water changes.

OP
OP
A

abryant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 gallon water changed every other week, had two clowns now down to 1, royal gramma, baby hippo tang(don’t want to hear anything about him due to tank size he’s doing great) watchman goby pistol shrimp, just got a cleaner shrimp a couple days ago. I didn’t realize my nitrates were so high I had a crappy test kit so I didn’t realize it but now by about a week my nitrates are about 20-50 so I had to start doing weekly water changes.
Forgot to mention it’s a 32 gallon

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to mention it’s a 32 gallon
I have the same tank and also the same crappy skimmer. :winking-face-with-tongue: I have two clowns, watchman, Royal gramma and pistol plus inverts. I feed quality frozen food once a day. I have to maintain at least 5 gallon weekly water change to keep my nitrates between 12 and 25. You stated nitrate numbers aren’t that bad, but with the stock list you have, you will probably have to stick to the weekly changes if you want to keep them in check.
Other things to consider is the type of food you are feeding, how much and how often. Because the nutrient export tools are so limited in the biocube, you really need to rely on water changes to keep things in check. Just my two cents
I will respect your wishes and not say anything about the blue hippo ;)

OP
OP
A

abryant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank and also the same crappy skimmer. :winking-face-with-tongue: I have two clowns, watchman, Royal gramma and pistol plus inverts. I feed quality frozen food once a day. I have to maintain at least 5 gallon weekly water change to keep my nitrates between 12 and 25. You stated nitrate numbers aren’t that bad, but with the stock list you have, you will probably have to stick to the weekly changes if you want to keep them in check.
Other things to consider is the type of food you are feeding, how much and how often. Because the nutrient export tools are so limited in the biocube, you really need to rely on water changes to keep things in check. Just my two cents
I will respect your wishes and not say anything about the blue hippo ;)
I feed once a day usually frozen mysis but sometimes I’ll change it up and put some flakes in there every now and then, so do you think I should add a refugium on top of what I had or stick with what I have a do 5 gallon weekly water change

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed once a day usually frozen mysis but sometimes I’ll change it up and put some flakes in there every now and then, so do you think I should add a refugium on top of what I had or stick with what I have a do 5 gallon weekly water change
I’ve heard mixed reviews as to the biocube refugiums being effective due to the size limitations of the back chambers. Some people I really respect in the hobby say they believe its worth it… but I have never personally pulled the trigger, so I can’t weigh in on whether it will help. I just keep up with the water changes and dream of upgrading to larger tank with a more effective skimmer ;)
Also… hopefully you are feeding some
Nori etc and other foods besides mysis for your blue hippo. They need a very balanced diet or they will develop Helio.

OP
OP
A

abryant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard mixed reviews as to the biocube refugiums being effective due to the size limitations of the back chambers. Some people I really respect in the hobby say they believe its worth it… but I have never personally pulled the trigger, so I can’t weigh in on whether it will help. I just keep up with the water changes and dream of upgrading to larger tank with a more effective skimmer ;)
Also… hopefully you are feeding some
Nori etc and other foods besides mysis for your blue hippo. They need a very balanced diet or they will develop Helio.
Yes i did forget to mention I feee nori once week also, only been in the hobby for a little bit but I really want a bigger tank I just have zero room

diverjm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can personally attest that my nitrates were 20ppm before I did the refugium thing. Weekly I was pruning the Chaeto by 50% as it grows like wildfire with the 10hrs of light. I feed frozen brine and mysis twice a day, fyi.

diverjm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also wanted to add I don’t have any chemical filtration whatsoever. Just filter floss, Chaeto and water chances.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I average between 2-5ppm of nitrate. I was running my fuge light for 10hrs which was too much giving me a 2ppm reading. I backed off the lighting to 4 hrs which gives me 5ppm.

I don't feel your nitrate numbers require intervention.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you might have my post confused with the OP. I was trying to help the OP just as you are.

I'm not questioning your motives. As you pointed out, I replied to the wrong post.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back