Biodiversity

28gjbj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 60 gallon with some clownfish and damsels, inverts, and some frags, but I was wondering if there was a way to get some “diversity” going through the system. Like macro algae’s, good hitchhikers, and encrusting, coralline.etc What do you think would be my best bet at getting some diversity?

Aco5000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not necessarily a hitchhiker but pom pom crabs are really cool, beautiful to watch and definitely add some diversity, feather dusters are different and cool, discosoma grow quickly and can encrust a rock pretty quick

OP
OP

28gjbj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not necessarily a hitchhiker but pom pom crabs are really cool, beautiful to watch and definitely add some diversity, feather dusters are different and cool, discosoma grow quickly and can encrust a rock pretty quick

Awesome thanks for the info, I’ll look into it

Aco5000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anytime!, and +1 on the fuge, who doesnt like to see pods skittering across the glass, happy reefing!

OP
OP

28gjbj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20 gallon sump, with a refugium and light , just need to get some macro algae. Also some pods

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out IPSF.com, they have a lot of different critters and algae. I've ordered from them several times and always had a great experience.

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally love seeing a tank full of colour and movement. But I also love love love staring at it for ages and still seeing something new. Fish that hide are sooo underrated. Get a pistol shrimp and watchman goby. If they bond, you’ll have 2 things that you'll see on occasion and you’ll get to witness a beautiful natural interaction. Also, I like seeing things interact. So get a cleaner shrimp. And maybe cleaner goby. :)

OP
OP

28gjbj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally love seeing a tank full of colour and movement. But I also love love love staring at it for ages and still seeing something new. Fish that hide are sooo underrated. Get a pistol shrimp and watchman goby. If they bond, you’ll have 2 things that you'll see on occasion and you’ll get to witness a beautiful natural interaction. Also, I like seeing things interact. So get a cleaner shrimp. And maybe cleaner goby. :)

Me too the different colors and movement make if look so natural, I also have a coral banded shrimp I forgot to mention.

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had the tank up? A lot of this biodiversity will come with time.

Are you a member of a local reef club? Ask someone to pull some microbrittle stars for you, or see if you can get a small rock or a few frags from them, that will help seed your tank with loads of mostly beneficial creatures.:)

OP
OP

28gjbj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had the tank up? A lot of this biodiversity will come with time.

Are you a member of a local reef club? Ask someone to pull some microbrittle stars for you, or see if you can get a small rock or a few frags from them, that will help seed your tank with loads of mostly beneficial creatures.:)

I have a few frags, and it has been set up for about a month, but I used to different company’s “quick start” bottles and made sure it went though the cycle.

OP
OP

28gjbj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t done it yet, and so far no problems, my lfs is pretty good with that stuff.

OP
OP

28gjbj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I went to my lfs to browse, and I asked if he had any Xenia, he looked and noticed some on a piece of live rock, he said that they sell LR with soft corals on it for 16$ a pound. So he let me buy it for 16$, I noticed brittle stars, asterina stars, and some snails, so I am pretty pumped.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always add a cup or two of the schmutz that accumulates in the bottom of the live rock bin at my LFS (if your LFS has real live rock anymore). Likely to have bad as well as good stuff …. but it is diversity!

OP
OP

28gjbj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always add a cup or two of the schmutz that accumulates in the bottom of the live rock bin at my LFS (if your LFS has real live rock anymore). Likely to have bad as well as good stuff …. but it is diversity!

That seems like a good idea, but as you said that stuff can also have bad things in it. I notice that a lot of my LFS LR is full of sponges, Star fish, snails etc.
After adding that Xenia rock, I noticed that I got a free nasarius snail, so that’s always nice.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back