Dansters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a canister filter and recently bought a second one to replace my orginal one. Both have been running together for two weeks, so I’m going to take the old one out. Should I just keep the biological media and put it in the new one or use as much of the old sponges as possible. Preferably I’d rather not use the old sponges because the newer ones are bigger and fit perfectly. I know must of you have sumps, but I figured you all may be able to answer this question.

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would run both for at least another month....by then, you will have enough bacteria to support your tank when you take the old one off-line....or just switch out the media if you are in a hurry..... I run 3 FX6's on my system......

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just throwing this out there and I only have anecdotal evidence. One of my best tanks was run off a canister filter that I cleaned out every six months. I feel this created and anaerobic environment that in turn removed nitrates from my system. My live rock took care of everything else. Maybe keep it online but only clean it hen the flow slows from build up.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 75 35.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back