Biopellet reactor help

Dra49ers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started running a xl lifegard turbo reactor with biopellets started with 250ml weekly until reaching 100ml of biopellets and have been running for about 2 1/2 months and have seen no change in nitrates. I have the output directed into the intake of the skimmer using a 90 degree elbow. I have tested with both an api and nyos kits and measure what looks like 80-100 ppm. I keep testing and no change noticed. Is there anything that I could be doing wrong? Seems simple enough but doesn’t seem to be working for me. It a predator tank with gsp, pulsing xenia, and some tiny zoas which are all doing fine. Thanks

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your source water for water changes and top off?

OP
OP
Dra49ers

Dra49ers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using rodi water both to membranes are less than 2 years old and all di resin is less than 3 months old

OP
OP
Dra49ers

Dra49ers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope I was expecting it to start to significantly increase due to the high nutrients.

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you feed and how often? What is your tank stock list, all animals?

OP
OP
Dra49ers

Dra49ers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a 180gallon system with 40g sump I have a snowflake eel and zebra eel, green bird wrasse and a yellow tang. The eels eat twice a week one day 4 silversides and 2 fresh shrimp the other day. The fish get fed once a day switching between a cube of mysis or spirulina, or a pinch of new life spectrum probiotic pellet food. 3x a week 1/2 a sheet of algae.

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmmm. What salt are you using? How often are you performing water changes? How much are you changing? Have you tested your newly mixed saltwater for water changes?

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume the reactor is ‘tumbling’ and the sponge filter isn’t blocked, by the disintegrated pellets, and needs cleaning?

OP
OP
Dra49ers

Dra49ers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmmm. What salt are you using? How often are you performing water changes? How much are you changing? Have you tested your newly mixed saltwater for water changes?
I was using bright well but recently switched to instant ocean due to availability. I do 30gallons a month, but even last month did 60 gallons since I used chemiclean due to red cyano. Still didn’t see any change to nitrates. But I’ll check my water I have already mixed up waiting for next water change and see what the nitrates test at. I am thinking of picking up a salifert nitrate test kit just to verify my numbers.

OP
OP
Dra49ers

Dra49ers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume the reactor is ‘tumbling’ and the sponge filter isn’t blocked, by the disintegrated pellets, and needs cleaning?
I’ll post a video of the reactor in action so you can see the movement I have it on, I removed the sponge since the reactor I’m using has a plate to keep the pellets in the reactor chamber

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the level of media you have in there, the pellets can slowly reduce in size to escape the plate, hence the sponge. The sponge ends up needing cleaning more often but...

OP
OP
Dra49ers

Dra49ers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can increase some more pellets and watch your numbers. I did not watch my numbers, my skimmer started to work on steroids the skimmate was gross and dark, and I thought everything was great until I saw my Purple Tang he looked like a punk rocker with all of the lines going across his head and face.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Similar to carbon dosing, biopellets require both nitrates and phosphates to work. What are your phosphates at?

OP
OP
Dra49ers

Dra49ers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nitrates are 80-100 ppm and phosphates are 2.0ppm

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 12.5%
Back