BIOTA acclimation guide???

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last week was looking at their Court jester goby, Forktail blenny an Tuxedo urchins - which look really nice but then noticed their acclimation guide :
*We highly advise against the standard drip acclimation methodology*

1. Open box and inspect animals for immediate health.

2. Turn off lights on aquarium.

3. Float bags in aquarium for 10-15 minutes making sure to avoid clogging overflows or filtration.

4. Open bags and using a net introduce your new aquatic life to your tank. Be sure to avoid high flow areas and for smaller specimens make sure they are not predated on before they find the rockwork.

5. Leave lighting off for an additional 20-30 minutes and then turn lighting on.

I then sent an email to Biota and Jake responded that's the way to do it but temp. acclimation is important. Also he said that their tank water is similar to home saltwater tanks.
This makes me nervous because for SW tanks I've always drip acclimated due to different pH, salinity, alk, calcium, mag, etc..
Example : fish/invert bags from Biota SG: 1.025; my tank is 1.023, alk - 8-9; my tank alk is 6.7 (use Tropic Marin pro reef salt) and other parameters slightly different (just throwing numbers out as possibilities) , would that be a shock to fish/inverts if just doing 15min temp acclimation then net into tank?
I mean they are pros and that is their procedure but most lfs's i've been to and online retailers (and on R2R )recommend 'Drip Method'. So just looking for some R2R member comments. Thx

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most LFS run 1.020 ish levels and that’s why the drip is needed. If these guys are running reef parameters then their recommendations make sense. Also, if then include a health guarantee on the fish, they can take responsibility of the fish croaks within the next however many days after introduction.

OP
OP
Johnny M

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most LFS run 1.020 ish levels and that’s why the drip is needed. If these guys are running reef parameters then their recommendations make sense. Also, if then include a health guarantee on the fish, they can take responsibility of the fish croaks within the next however many days after introduction.
Biota says it offers a 7 day guarantee on livestock.

jrill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last week was looking at their Court jester goby, Forktail blenny an Tuxedo urchins - which look really nice but then noticed their acclimation guide :
*We highly advise against the standard drip acclimation methodology*

1. Open box and inspect animals for immediate health.

2. Turn off lights on aquarium.

3. Float bags in aquarium for 10-15 minutes making sure to avoid clogging overflows or filtration.

4. Open bags and using a net introduce your new aquatic life to your tank. Be sure to avoid high flow areas and for smaller specimens make sure they are not predated on before they find the rockwork.

5. Leave lighting off for an additional 20-30 minutes and then turn lighting on.

I then sent an email to Biota and Jake responded that's the way to do it but temp. acclimation is important. Also he said that their tank water is similar to home saltwater tanks.
This makes me nervous because for SW tanks I've always drip acclimated due to different pH, salinity, alk, calcium, mag, etc..
Example : fish/invert bags from Biota SG: 1.025; my tank is 1.023, alk - 8-9; my tank alk is 6.7 (use Tropic Marin pro reef salt) and other parameters slightly different (just throwing numbers out as possibilities) , would that be a shock to fish/inverts if just doing 15min temp acclimation then net into tank?
I mean they are pros and that is their procedure but most lfs's i've been to and online retailers (and on R2R )recommend 'Drip Method'. So just looking for some R2R member comments. Thx
That's how I have always done it. Drip acclimation is dangerous especially with fish shipping.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back