Biota Coral Beauty

Warthur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I've been seeing these guys on divers den lately and think that they are simply stunning. On the biota website it states that these angels are raised to live in 13.5 gallon flu although evos and that they will be fine in them. Wondering what people think about this. Personally I think they would still need a larger tank, even if they are captive bred in tight quarters, not to mention the bioload

brett_schn

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who said a coral beauty can be in a 20” tank. That is way too small. I wouldn’t even put a pigmy angel in the 13.5.

OP
OP
Warthur

Warthur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neither would I. Biota on their website suggested that they are bred to live in the 13.5 gallon evos that their all in one package comes in.

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been really curious about these. Do they look like just because they are far younger than we are used to seeing? Will they develop colors more similar to a wild CB as they age? I'd love to own captive bred but I find ones I see on DD pretty unsatisfying.

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased one from DD yesterday and it arrived today only half alive and did not make it. Super disappointing. Not sure what to think, but would like to give one another try. They are beautiful though!

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been really curious about these. Do they look like just because they are far younger than we are used to seeing? Will they develop colors more similar to a wild CB as they age? I'd love to own captive bred but I find ones I see on DD pretty unsatisfying.

My guess is they look this way because they are quite young and will develop full color as they mature. The pics on DD don't really flatter them, the one I received had more vibrant coloring than was depicted.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been watching these on DD and plan to order one when the time is right for me, so I'm very interested in hearing others' experiences. Following closely.

OP
OP
Warthur

Warthur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased one from DD yesterday and it arrived today only half alive and did not make it. Super disappointing. Not sure what to think, but would like to give one another try. They are beautiful though!

Sad to hear that. I've looked at some videos of their adults, colors seem to be brighter than wild caught ones. Not sure if their colors change at all though

sleeping

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one, the small ones for the 13.5 are "bonsai" and are supposed to only grow to 1.5 inches. The one I have came from divers den really small but grew fast and eats well. Doesn't look like your everyday CB though.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one, the small ones for the 13.5 are "bonsai" and are supposed to only grow to 1.5 inches. The one I have came from divers den really small but grew fast and eats well. Doesn't look like your everyday CB though.

Never heard of any of this "Bonsai" stuff, could you get me some more information? I'm not finding anything on google.

sleeping

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never heard of any of this "Bonsai" stuff, could you get me some more information? I'm not finding anything on google.

Apparently they're kind of new. I spoke to Biota directly about them when I was on the hunt for mandarins, inquired about CBs and he mentioned the bonsai variety and that they get between 1-1.5 inches.

They're listed as Bonsai CB when they're supposed to be the tiny ones. Mine was kind of ugly on the site but colored up after a short period of time.

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is DD and maybe a select few other places the only source for these at the moment? Or is it something I could request my local LFS to get in for me?

OP
OP
Warthur

Warthur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't seen any at my LFS so I would count on DD almost exclusively right now. Wonder if there are any deformities or lifespan issues with these "bonsai" cb.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info on this. Very excited to eventually try one of these out

brett_schn

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently they're kind of new. I spoke to Biota directly about them when I was on the hunt for mandarins, inquired about CBs and he mentioned the bonsai variety and that they get between 1-1.5 inches.

They're listed as Bonsai CB when they're supposed to be the tiny ones. Mine was kind of ugly on the site but colored up after a short period of time.

How big did he get and what size tank do you have him in

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See, those CBs look amazing. Will the DD ones turn into that? Or are they just bad pictures or what? I'm very confused about these. Maybe someone who grabbed a captive bred CB from DD can share pictures?

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See, those CBs look amazing. Will the DD ones turn into that? Or are they just bad pictures or what? I'm very confused about these. Maybe someone who grabbed a captive bred CB from DD can share pictures?
Do you see them on there right now? I have looked a couple of times and couldn't find them.

sleeping

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is DD and maybe a select few other places the only source for these at the moment? Or is it something I could request my local LFS to get in for me?

I think they can be ordered to your LFS as he did ask me where I shopped.

How big did he get and what size tank do you have him in

I got him in April he's in a Biocube32. He grew fast although I'm not sure how big exactly. I'll post some pictures when I get to my laptop.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back