Biota Coral Beauty

JasPR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just imagining a 4 inch fish as active as an angel swimming in a display only 18 inches long (evo)... would be sad to look at
Amen, if you are at all empathetic a fish keeper you will only feel a sadness when viewing certain species in cramped situations.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amen, if you are at all empathetic a fish keeper you will only feel a sadness when viewing certain species in cramped situations.

this. Please don't misunderstand, I am 100% supportive of captive breeding and will gladly pay the difference for a captive bred fish, because it soothes my (sometimes very loud and boisterous) conscience.

I don't think I'm a fan of Biota's approach with their "Bonsai" line though, at least as much as I've been able to read. It sounds like they are intentionally keeping the fish in smaller aquariums to force an unnatural adaptation, so they (Biota) can sell them to unsuspecting small tank owners. My brain insists on making a random association with puppy mills. I may rethink my plan to buy a Biota CB.

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will they get along with their bigger cousins the regal or emperator?

sleeping

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this. Please don't misunderstand, I am 100% supportive of captive breeding and will gladly pay the difference for a captive bred fish, because it soothes my (sometimes very loud and boisterous) conscience.

I don't think I'm a fan of Biota's approach with their "Bonsai" line though, at least as much as I've been able to read. It sounds like they are intentionally keeping the fish in smaller aquariums to force an unnatural adaptation, so they (Biota) can sell them to unsuspecting small tank owners. My brain insists on making a random association with puppy mills. I may rethink my plan to buy a Biota CB.

I don't think this is it at all. It was said they had fish that naturally produced smaller offspring, and that lineage is the Bonsai. They don't keep them in small accommodations at their facilities from anything I've seen or heard online and I definitely googled a bunch in anticipation....there was a video posted earlier in the threads that showed their CBs.

My experience with Biota was extremely positive and the fish I've purchased were very healthy unlike puppies from puppy mills.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don't keep them in small accommodations at their facilities from anything I've seen or heard online

They say it here, in the section headed "Behavior in theTank"

http://biotapalau.com/2016/11/08/captive-bred-coral-beauties-can-live-in-your-tank-soon/

"Luckily, our cultured Coral Beauties are raised in small aquariums and therefore are acclimated to this size aquarium.

They behave differently as a result of our conditioning process and they will do well in the Biota Aquarium"

I didn't mean to imply that they aren't healthy though, I have no way of knowing that. My comment about puppy mills was only referring to the image the statement from Biota's website conjures up in my head. I apologize if anyone took it any other way.

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly think biota does them to drive more new hobbyists in. Biota stating that they want to drive more people in. But keeping a fish even at 1 inch doesn't change the fact that in needs room to swim. Chances are your gonna have a pair of clownfish, possibly a cleaner shrimp, and maybe a nano goby or something in that vicinity where the clownfish will probably be aggressive towards that "bonsai" angel due to lack of territory. Coral beauties are shy fish and if newbies who chances are don't know any better get those fish and they don't know anything about ich or dietary needs as well as stable water parameters then the fish is not for them. I like their idea. Just not their approach. Their main purpose is to educate and to drive people in and show them the beauty. It's cool that they basically created a pgmy type angel but fact of the matter is the fish species alone isn't a beginners fish. Doesn't matter if tank raised fish are readily available to foods and possibly won't both corals and inverts as much. An angel is an angel.

sleeping

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They say it here, in the section headed "Behavior in theTank"

http://biotapalau.com/2016/11/08/captive-bred-coral-beauties-can-live-in-your-tank-soon/

"Luckily, our cultured Coral Beauties are raised in small aquariums and therefore are acclimated to this size aquarium.

They behave differently as a result of our conditioning process and they will do well in the Biota Aquarium"

I didn't mean to imply that they aren't healthy though, I have no way of knowing that. My comment about puppy mills was only referring to the image the statement from Biota's website conjures up in my head. I apologize if anyone took it any other way.

Oh wow, didn't remember seeing that. I could definitely get why you said what you did in that case.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back