Birds nest suddenly closed all its polyps

uutank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this beautiful birds nest, it’s kept high up in tank. It was doing well until yesterday when all of a sudden all of its polyps retracted.
Parameters
Cal-420
Alk- 9
Nitrate- 0
Ammonia- 0
Phosphate-0.25
All other corals are doing good, I’ve one clam that’s also doing good. So I guess there’s no problem with water chemistry.

When Lights off
IMG_5178.JPG

When lights on
IMG_5179.JPG

4804af0b-9cdb-45af-b179-d6fb8c6ec4ca.jpg

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few things:
This coral generally dont need intense light.
It's too close to top and probably under too much light.

Nitrates being absolute 0 is not a good thing. You need to maintain them between 2-10ppm

Phos at 0.25 are high need to bring it down to 0.01 to 0.05 ish range.

My first guess would be to much light.
with proper care flow and light it may recover.

OP
OP
uutank

uutank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few things:
This coral generally dont need intense light.
It's too close to top and probably under too much light.

Nitrates being absolute 0 is not a good thing. You need to maintain them between 2-10ppm

Phos at 0.25 are high need to bring it down to 0.01 to 0.05 ish range.

My first guess would be to much light.
with proper care flow and light it may recover.

It’s been at top for quite some time now. I’ve seen it grow also. But honestly I too suspect the light doing the problem. I’ll bring it down today.
As per the nitrate issue that’s a whole different problem. I feed my tank heavily but somehow my nitrates are always zero.
Phosphate has always been around 0.25 never had any problem with any other coral so far.

OP
OP
uutank

uutank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think lights alone will do that to a coral especially one that was adjusted and growing under it before.

Do you suspect anything else. Do share. I’m pretty scared with the sudden behaviour of it.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is this aquarium and how long have you had the coral? The aquarium looks like you started it recently.

coral-boss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when I had a birdnest in my tank it would act like that when something was wrong with my alk. a while back a long time reefer told me "corals are not always immediately reacting to some kind of change in water quality. it may be upset from something that happened a few days ago or longer. just because your water parameters look normal today doesn't mean something didn't happen a few days ago." how true that statement is im really not sure but it seems to make sense.

OP
OP
uutank

uutank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is this aquarium and how long have you had the coral? The aquarium looks like you started it recently.

Nope the aquarium is almost a year old.
I’ve gorgonians and clam also. So the tank is pretty established no doubt in that.

OP
OP
uutank

uutank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when I had a birdnest in my tank it would act like that when something was wrong with my alk. a while back a long time reefer told me "corals are not always immediately reacting to some kind of change in water quality. it may be upset from something that happened a few days ago or longer. just because your water parameters look normal today doesn't mean something didn't happen a few days ago." how true that statement is im really not sure but it seems to make sense.

That statement seems true in my case. Had a alk swings few days ago.

OP
OP
uutank

uutank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
give it time. it should bounce back. just keep it stable

I hope So. Though I was seeing some bleaching on it too so I’ve brought it down from top. Tonight it’s on the sand bed tomorrow morning I’ll place it to a new area somewhere middle of the tank

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 15 36.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 31.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back