Birdsnest colony dying from middle

mudskipper1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, my green birds nest colony recently started dying from the middle. Seems that it started shadowing itself over time and eventually started dying off in the center, which then propagated outwards. I fragged off a whole bunch of pieces, so not a huge deal, but wanted to ask if others have had success avoiding this with birds nests. I had the same thing happen like 5 years ago with a similar coral. I know this could be a result of poor light coverage/spread, but I would have thought the t5s I have would be ideal to avoid that type of problem. The colony grew from a small frag in this location, so it isn't from being moved. Any thoughts? Pic below is after fragging, it was significantly thicker/larger when it started dying.
IMG_20210907_230239.jpg

~140g peninsula system with 2 Gen 5 XR15 Blues and 4x54w t5s. Gyre XF350, XF330, MP40. Pretty SPS dominated, but do have some LPS, polyps, softies too. System has been running for 5-6 years, but I totally revamped rock work (replaced about half that had GSP on it) and started doing SPS again in Nov. 2020. Anyhow, things are going pretty well, happy with growth and color for the most part.

Thanks in advance!

IMG_20210829_214234~2.jpg

Parameters:
Alk:8.5
Ca:420ppm
Mg: 1480ppm
NO3: 12-15ppm
PO4: 0.15ppm
SG:1.026
Temp: 77-79F

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Check for any bugs or critters on the base of it. Other causes can be light shading, low salinity, alk spike or ph imbalance

Arthacker87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like stn. I've had it happen with mine and it bounced back, but because of bad husbandry I lost mine. Has it been in that spot the whole time?

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You wouldn't happen to have any clown gobies would you. They can get the ball rolling on this sort of thing as well.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it just looks this way in the picture, but it doesn't look like most of the area where the tissue is gone is shaded by the rest of the coral.

OP
OP
mudskipper1

mudskipper1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check for any bugs or critters on the base of it. Other causes can be light shading, low salinity, alk spike or ph imbalance
No bugs even after dipping. Salinity is fine, I would be surprised that the birds nest would be the only coral to show any signs of issues when all my acropora are fine. Light shading is my suspicion, but if that's the case, is it just not possible to grow bigger colonies without this happening?

OP
OP
mudskipper1

mudskipper1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it just looks this way in the picture, but it doesn't look like most of the area where the tissue is gone is shaded by the rest of the coral.
Yeah, the pic was after I fragged a whole bunch of pieces off, the middle was definitely shaded pretty well. The dead area now has spread out fairly far from the middle though. I did a Lugols dip and that slowed the spread, so assuming the dead area started an infection the propagated (STN).

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My birdsnest is that size or a little larger and there is no tissue necrosis on it from shading. The underside doesn't have as much polyp extension or color but still has tissue on it.

OP
OP
mudskipper1

mudskipper1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My birdsnest is that size or a little larger and there is no tissue necrosis on it from shading. The underside doesn't have as much polyp extension or color but still has tissue on it.
Yeah, that was true of mine about a week ago. I was keeping a close eye on it since I had it happen previously. I am guessing it was just a slight change in pH that did it. My parents were staying with us and it was too warm for open windows, so CO2 levels went up and pH dropped a bit. Just frustrating since it was growing so well.
Birds nest progression-01.jpg

TangReef#1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! Same problem here. All
My Params are good except nitrate got a bit higher then normal (50 ppm) that’s what I think it is. This ORA neon seriatapora (birdsnest) is a beast. I’ve fragged this thing every 2-3 months for over a year and it gets bigger every time. Now it’s dieing from the base. I have a coral crab hitchhiker that protects it with its life. I don’t want to frag it to pieces any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 63
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 56

holdthecoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Birds nest normally grow very fast, get really big and then die off really fast. Reefbuilders talked about the same issue to their bird's nest colony, listen around the seven minute mark.

sculpin01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, the pic was after I fragged a whole bunch of pieces off, the middle was definitely shaded pretty well. The dead area now has spread out fairly far from the middle though. I did a Lugols dip and that slowed the spread, so assuming the dead area started an infection the propagated (STN).
If it responded to Lugols, that suggests a bacterial pathogen. Might want to try a 30 minute amoxicillin dip.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 48.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 12 29.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back