Birdsnest growth pattern

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys just wanted your opinion. Have been dabbling in easier SPS and all is going well. They grow significantly faster than all of my LPS.

I am just curious about the growth pattern of my birdsnest. It starts as a tiny little twig and has grown quickly adding a lot of girth and branches. Always has great polyp extension.

What I have noticed is some of the branches are turning downward while some are still pointing up. Is this normal is this an indication it is growing away from the light ? Just curious if it should be moved. I'm inclined to leave it judging by its growth and polyp extension but just curious what your opinion is. I'll try to get some better pics.

20190928_112522.jpg 20190928_112518.jpg 20191012_095010.jpg

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s not uncommon. They r called a bird nest because they will form what looks like a bird nest unlike an acro that will grow outward.

Mayerlyn A

Entre_Jardines
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's normal, mine grows every which way it can. I think it goes for as much space as it can as quickly as possible. You will find your self having to trim it often.

OP
OP
Bayareareefer18

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is about 6 months worth of growth. It's much bigger now.

IMG_20190204_211219_574.jpg IMG_20190117_092738.jpg
Nice

I definitely need some fast growers. Being my first tank I went all LPS which I love but they don't necessarily fill space quickly. The few sps I do have are growing super fast which I'm happy about

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is about 6 months worth of growth. It's much bigger now.

IMG_20190204_211219_574.jpg IMG_20190117_092738.jpg
What you have there is sertiopora, maybe S. guttatus?

I think OP has poccilopora damicornis.

This is one of the minor issues with "birdsnest", poccilopora, sertiopora and stylophora are all referred to as birdsnest.

Many consider P. damicornis to be a pest SPS because it spits out polyps and basically becomes the Aiptasia of SPS,
where as sertiopora, stylophora dont really have that issue

OP, I'd bet you couldn't kill that coral if you tried, and if you are really looking to get into SPS, P. damicornis is a great "canary " coral, but I actually advise people to get rid of their beloved P. damicornis. It can really end up being a pest.

Mayerlyn A

Entre_Jardines
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is one of the minor issues with "birdsnest", poccilopora, sertiopora and stylophora are all referred to as birdsnest.

Many consider P. damicornis to be a pest SPS because it spits out polyps and basically becomes the Aiptasia of SPS,

OP, I'd bet you couldn't kill that coral if you tried, and if you are really looking to get into SPS, P. damicornis is a great "canary " coral, but I actually advise people to get rid of their beloved P. damicornis. It can really end up being a pest.
Thank you for the info. I simply called it green birdsnest. I also have stylophora in the tank but it definitely has a different growth pattern as is mostly upwards.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the info. I simply called it green birdsnest. I also have stylophora in the tank but it definitely has a different growth pattern as is mostly upwards.
Stylophora and poccilopora can be hard to distinguish some times because both vary in growth forms, sertiopora is easy to tell between them because their polyps occur in slightly organized rows, whereas style and poccilopora are pretty scattered randomly.

OP
OP
Bayareareefer18

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I do have a poccilopora but it has more of a bushy look. Also have a purple stylo which is much more branchy

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That original picture certainly looks like a poccillopora to me also. Easiest way to differentiate is that most if not all birdnest, Seriatopora, have the unique feature of their polyps being in perfectly straight lines.

OP
OP
Bayareareefer18

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That original picture certainly looks like a poccillopora to me also. Easiest way to differentiate is that most if not all birdnest, Seriatopora, have the unique feature of their polyps being in perfectly straight lines.
Irritated the polyps a little bit to get a better photo

20191020_155633.jpg 20191020_155627.jpg

Aswswild

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
because it spits out polyps and basically becomes the Aiptasia of SPS,
This is my problem. When it got stressed it put a but load of spores out an I have them every were it is bad

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back