Birdsnest RTN

hafer12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a slimer stn'n on me, from a alk swing, so I cut it after watching it slowly recede for 3 days. I cut it about a 1/2" above the bare skeleton, leaving some flesh. Long story short the flesh is entrusting right back down the dead skeleton.. don't know where I was going with that!?
20170902_132103.jpg
20170909_145221.jpg
20180305_114103-01.jpeg

Slimer is top right, in the last picture

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All dead tonight. I removed it from the tank. I will get another one and place it further from the acan.

Doubbler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely the acan. They do have long tenticles. I've come home to see one of my acans trying to swallow a Duncan a few times. Also found another acan with some kind of white spider web thing wrapped around a favia. Killed it over night.

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be too close to that acan. Sometime lps filaments can get pretty long. I had a lobo attack a button scoly 3 inches away and killed half over night.

No saying it’s the definite cause, but potential.
I was going to say the same thing. Acan is probably stinging it at night which will quickly kill the birds nest. Move and frag whats still healthy.

Rjohn5499

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read that statement several times before, and I don't really agree with it.

Explain the difference between someone with GHA consuming Phosphate and someone with a refugium growing chaeto. Would you say that someone growing chaeto is getting a false test?
What Jason said! :). Your nitrate and phosphate levels are exactly what they are. Having a refugium, gfo, skimmer, or algae in the tank will help reduce the nutrient levels (that’s what they are there for after all). I agree that if you are reading 0 nitrate it doesn’t mean that you’re not creating it, but that your equipment/algae/feeding schedule is keeping up with the load. If you test your water, and it’s 0, then it’s 0. How does the test know the configuration of a tank? It doesn’t - it’s just telling you the amount in the current sample.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back