Biscuit Starfish - hands down, my favorite invert!

OP
OP
DarthChaos

DarthChaos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@AydenLincoln

I got some food under the starfish today - had to fight off the fish...but he stayed put for a while. Must have been enjoying it.

I make my own reef food - too a thin, small piece and put him on top. I dont think he knew what it was at first - but he's been enjoying it! Lol

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@AydenLincoln

I got some food under the starfish today - had to fight off the fish...but he stayed put for a while. Must have been enjoying it.

I make my own reef food - too a thin, small piece and put him on top. I dont think he knew what it was at first - but he's been enjoying it! Lol
That’s great!! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Holy handgrenade

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! You should’ve tagged me lol you know I own one too…and was able to find out the little info that’s known on them by speaking with marine biologists and research institutes. For those of you wondering it’s a Goniaster Tessellatus and they are found in the substrate of the Atlantic Ocean from Florida to West Africa but not on coral reefs. Belonging to the order of valvatida they feed on microorganisms in the substrate by pushing their stomachs out also part of many stars who will readily consume bivalves like clams. Due to the depth and locations they inhabit they are not often seen or studied. Coral is not part of their natural diet so if you observe one eating coral it’s starving/desperate for food or not getting the proper nutrition. I feed mine clams, krill soaked in plankton, and occasionally algae pellets. I hope this helps someone looking for one. As for cost I paid $50 USD anything more is marked up significantly. Ask your fish store if they have exporters from West Africa as they are commonly collected over there under the name West African Biscuit Starfish but are not often imported to other places and don’t appear in the hobby often.
This is great info, thank you for sharing! Do you know where i could find one online?

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is great info, thank you for sharing! Do you know where i could find one online?
There was one place in Canada that had them and Quality Marine occasionally gets them but other than that you’d have to get them from an exporter or ask your lfs!

ReeferHD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was one place in Canada that had them and Quality Marine occasionally gets them but other than that you’d have to get them from an exporter or ask your lfs!
CoralsAnonymous gets Australian biscuit stars (pentagonaster duebeni/Tosia australis?) on occasion too, looking to get one when my tank is rid of dinoflagellates.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
CoralsAnonymous gets Australian biscuit stars (pentagonaster duebeni/Tosia australis?) on occasion too, looking to get one when my tank is rid of dinoflagellates.
Those are different species and the tosia australis are cold water species. Biscuit stars is an unofficial term based on how it looks and the ones you just mentioned don’t have the best track record in captivity. The tosia australis feeds exclusively on sponges, sea squirts, and bryozoans. Pentagonaster is not similar to mine in terms of diet/size and is difficult to care for as well. I wouldn’t recommend either.

Last edited:

Holy handgrenade

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok cool, thanks! I live in Tampa bay and there are lots of lfs's here, just like to see online options too for some things i cant get around here. I will check around and see. This thread inspired me to get another cool addition to my tank (and less money in my wallet,lol!)

ReeferHD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are different species and the tosia australis are cold water species. Biscuit stars is an unofficial term based on how it looks and the ones you just mentioned don’t have the best track record in captivity. The tosia australis feeds exclusively on sponges, sea squirts, and bryozoans. Pentagonaster is not similar to mine in terms of diet/size and is difficult to care for as well. I wouldn’t recommend either.
thank you for informing me on this, poor guy would've starved in my tank.

raythereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there is very limited information - on the extremely beautiful and unique, Biscuit Starfish. I checked...but took the plunge anyways.

I have had this handsome fellow...since July 2022. I do nothing special, to feed him. He shares my 190g DT - with a good variety of inverts, but doesn't seem to have an issue finding food. He is constantly on the move.

Biggest question I hear: Are they reef safe?

Tonight I took a pic....of him giving a dieing plate coral, attention. Only other time, I've seen him give a coral a 2nd look - was a small gonipora frag - that again, I'm sure what dieing.

Tank full of healthy (well, I "think" healthy), happy LPS & SPS - starfish shows zero interest in.

So - if you see one, would I recommend one? Hellz yes! Definitely a showpiece invert.

FB_IMG_1673200863966.jpg 20221208_102942.jpg 20230127_193031.jpg
How's your starfish doing is he still alive ? Is he eating corals ? Got the chance to get one and can't find much info on them

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked this guy up, put some squid under him and the next day it was gone and he looked fatter, how often do you guys think I should feed him? I was thinking once a day or once every other day.
67B6B31D-3684-4922-989F-7AB494153A70.jpeg
I'd do either one small to medium feeding a day or one medium to large feeding every other day (I've actually heard of both methods being used successfully in the aquaculture of predatory stars) - I'd be tempted to try both for a couple of weeks to a month and see which the stars seems to respond to the best.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back