Bit by the bug!

The_hobbyist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have been out of the hobby for close to a decade, and decided to visit a LFS. Seeing the livestock reminded me of past tanks and decided it was time to start up again. I have had many freshwater tanks ranging from community tanks to planted discus tanks. I then moved to a 75 gallon reef tank. Unfortunately the sump leaked and the I took the tank down and sold off all equipment. I am on a limited budget and found many good reviews of IM tanks. Originally I was looking at the IM 14 gallon peninsula, but it was sold out. I decide on the IM 25 gallon lagoon, which I feel has nice dimensions for a smaller tank. So far I have purchased an AI prime 16 HD and some dry rock from BRS. I am super excited to get this tank going. I have a few pictures of my aquascape that I am pretty happy with. Let me know what you think!

IMG_3536.JPG IMG_3537.JPG IMG_3538.JPG

OP
OP
T

The_hobbyist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a few things delivered today. Getting ready to add water and get the cycle going. I ordered a RO/DI unit from BRS that will be here tomorrow. Should have cycle going in the next few days. Picked up a food grade bucket from Home Depot for mixing salt water. Due to limited space I won't be able to set up a permanent place for RO/DI unit.

IMG_3615.JPG IMG_3616.JPG

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have been out of the hobby for close to a decade, and decided to visit a LFS. Seeing the livestock reminded me of past tanks and decided it was time to start up again. I have had many freshwater tanks ranging from community tanks to planted discus tanks. I then moved to a 75 gallon reef tank. Unfortunately the sump leaked and the I took the tank down and sold off all equipment. I am on a limited budget and found many good reviews of IM tanks. Originally I was looking at the IM 14 gallon peninsula, but it was sold out. I decide on the IM 25 gallon lagoon, which I feel has nice dimensions for a smaller tank. So far I have purchased an AI prime 16 HD and some dry rock from BRS. I am super excited to get this tank going. I have a few pictures of my aquascape that I am pretty happy with. Let me know what you think!

IMG_3536.JPG IMG_3537.JPG IMG_3538.JPG
I like it!

OP
OP
T

The_hobbyist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to get some water tests done today, and start cycling the tank.
Specific Gravity 1.025 Refractometer
PH 8.2 API
KH 11.5 Red Sea
Ca 460 Red Sea
Mg 1440 Red Sea

I'm using Red Sea Coral Pro salt. KH and Ca seem to be right where they should be. Magnesium is on the high side, so I may need to re-test. Used MicroBacter QuickCycl and MicroBacter Start XLM for cycle. Looks like Ammonia is about 2 ppm. I will update in a few days on cycle progress. So far I am planning on adding a clown fish pair, and some kind of wrasse. Any suggestions would be great! Also, I would like an ORA captive bred madarin later when the tank is established. Anyone have experience with them as far as feeding goes, and if they would be a good fit in a nano?

IMG_3625.JPG

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
welcome14.gif

OP
OP
T

The_hobbyist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick update. Have a had 100 degree + days here so I ordered an Inkbird controller and some fans. This is my first experience with Inkbird, so I will see how it works out.

OP
OP
T

The_hobbyist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve already had some ups and downs with this tank. I was having an issue with cloudy water. I ordered a UV light from IM and it has done a really good job of clearing up the water. I ordered a clownfish pair from LA and sadly lost the male after about a month. Tried treating him, but never got him to eat since day one. Good news is, the female is doing really well.

C0605465-1226-463C-84B1-97806A98F824.jpeg

OP
OP
T

The_hobbyist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't updated the thread since there wasn't much to update until now . The tank continues to mature, and has been going through the different stages of algae. I added some equipment to help with tank stability. Picked up some more livestock as well. I will post pictures soon.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 13.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 95 47.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 66 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.5%
Back