Bit of a rant here. Caribsea shouldn’t sell their painted dry rocks as ‘live rock’

jrill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a newbie here I researched and decided I needed live rock to put into my aquarium. I go the aquarium store and buy ‘Caribsea live rock’. I did wonder how it could be alive without being in water but I just assumed it lay dormant or something lol.

Went to a better aquarium store and quickly came to realise my rock is a dry rock not a live rock.

it’s so misleading! How can they be allowed to do that?!
As others have said its not called live rock.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every reefer i know personaly, reffers to live rock as type of rock, not state of rock.....

Live rock is calcium carbonate skeletons and deposits from long time dead corals, covered by all sort of organism and living thing. And only place it can be acquired is...well, natural reef.

Its super light, very porous. And yes, it can be dry aka death, with no life on or in it.

Man made rock from shells, mortar, ceramics, land excavated rock - they all can serve purpose, but they are not live rock.

Take a hammer and hit one rock, real rock will shatter in milion of pieces. All other types of rock can crack but remain solid.

Take real rock and throw it in muriatic acid. In matter of minutes rock will totaly dissolve, because its only deposits of calcium carbonate....

We have sea here, and there's two type of rock it can be obtained from it - basicaly land rock who somehow ended in sea floor, and over time become porous, but its only on surface. Inside, its hard piece of rock.

Other type is rock collected from depths, way too deep for normal hobyst to dive, and that rock is calcium carbonate deposits, extremly light, and porous. Problem is, because of depth and temperature, its impossible to keep anything live on or in it in "reef tank temperatures", and that makes it poor choice, if u even have someone to get it for you.

Its confusing, its all marketing, just look at weight,quantity and price, no matter if its wet or dry......
The type of rock is irrelevant here. People buy live rock no matter if it’s man made or natural because of all the microfauna living on and in the rocks, that’s where it got the live rock name in the first place. You won’t buy “dry live rock” if you want the benefit.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like this thread took much more time than what it deserves, it’s all repeating the same thing now.
In conclusion these are live animals that you want to take care of, hence you can’t be “misleaded” or trust your lfs.
Do your own research, it’s common knowledge that live rock is wet not dry.
Companies won’t take responsibility for a consumers lack of knowledge.

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol someone said small claims court. Maybe just return it to the store if it hasn’t been used yet?

What is an eye-opener to me is that a surprising number of folks think almost everything is a scam punishable by law.

therootcause

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had excellent success with my caribsea life rock scape. I used this rock with a bag of live sand and some bacteria. The tank cycled immediately and the rock structure looked great from day 1 and later become covered in coraline.

therootcause

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like this thread took much more time than what it deserves, it’s all repeating the same thing now.
In conclusion these are live animals that you want to take care of, hence you can’t be “misleaded” or trust your lfs.
Do your own research, it’s common knowledge that live rock is wet not dry.
Companies won’t take responsibility for a consumers lack of knowledge.

...nor should they. If only OP would have read the box...

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The type of rock is irrelevant here.
Au contraire... ;)

The type if rock is what is most inportant, state in wich is rock.... Not so much.....

Like i said, if u put rock from backyard in tank, or in sea, in time, it will develop micro fauna on it, due to influence of water, erosion, and living creatures, it will develop some surface porosion.

But it will newer work as real thing, wich is, as we established before simply dead corals skeletons, calcium deposits etc......

Inside of this rock is solid, and nothing can change that. Composition of this rock is different, and again, nothing can change that.

Idealy, you want correct type of rock, and that he is "live" - micro and macro fauna, bacterias and stuff.

Just look how many tanks here u see with various problems, and try to figure out how many tanks are built with real type of rock and how many of them is some form of man made, land rock or similar......and wich type have more problems.....

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To the people who say the buyers should have done their own research, how is that fair? The whole point of going to a specialty shop (LFS) and paying premium prices as opposed to ordering online is to get expert counsel and advice when you know nothing yourself. Sure, that's naive and you are running the risk of getting scammed by unscrupulous salespeople if you actually do that, but that doesn't make it less of a scam.

You can't tell me that the live rock/ life rock or even real reef rock naming wasn't done on purpose in order to mislead people and get them to buy one thing when they thought they were buying another.

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To the people who say the buyers should have done their own research, how is that fair? The whole point of going to a specialty shop (LFS) and paying premium prices as opposed to ordering online is to get expert counsel and advice when you know nothing yourself. Sure, that's naive and you are running the risk of getting scammed by unscrupulous salespeople if you actually do that, but that doesn't make it less of a scam.

You can't tell me that the live rock/ life rock or even real reef rock naming wasn't done on purpose in order to mislead people and get them to buy one thing when they thought they were buying another.
The whole thing is a scam. Especially the part about spraying the rock with bacteria. Sure they may spray it with some kind of bacteria, but not the kind of bacteria that’s going to change your ammonia into nitrite (nitrosonomas) or your nitrite into nitrate (nitrobacter). Those types of bacteria cannot live in a dry environment. They must be in an aqueous environment.

Last edited:

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It gets even more devious than that. Around here, RRR came (or still comes, idk) in boxes with wet paper, like real liverock. Some online shops even offer to overnight it/ special live animal shipping couriers. Which is a bit of a joke when the same page talks about the long journey from the US.

All to suggest that it's something precious and alive.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP never mentioned that she asked to "get the expert counsel and advice" so the lfs isn't the person to blame. Even if she did, she did also mention that she did her very own research and came to a conclusion that she needs live rock. if that was true with a simple google search without pressing any links, anyone can can conclude that live rock is wet and can find out what makes it "alive".
1648464128692.png
1648464296438.png

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP never mentioned that she asked to "get the expert counsel and advice" so the lfs isn't the person to blame. Even if she did, she did also mention that she did her very own research and came to a conclusion that she needs live rock. if that was true with a simple google search without pressing any links, anyone can can conclude that live rock is wet and can find out what makes it "alive".
1648464128692.png
1648464296438.png
Doesn’t matter what the OP did or didn’t do or what she clicked or didn’t click. The fact remains that Caribsea is marketing a product that is all a lie. Starting with the false names and ending with the false claims. I still remember when I didn’t know anything and I have compassion for those people.

Last edited:

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like i said on very start - it's all good marketing, and "scam"......

A little demonstration, if allowed, to clarify this all "live" rock, from my point of view.....

On picture 1, there is gorgeous and porous rock, taken straight from natural sea, of course, it's dry, but that's not the point. Here we clearly see surface porosion, we see marks and places where shells use to grow, we see other animal activity on inside of rock. We also see that inside of this rock is solid, on picture 2, meaning, this is plain land rock, which in some point in time ended in sea, then nature takes it course, and few moments later we have this rock.....

Totally unusable in our tanks, even if full of surface life, maybe it can serve as some base rock, building rock, but, for main purpose of filtration in tank - 0 points. This piece is good hand size, and weights about 1,5kg, and u can keep it forever in muriatic acid, it won't be dissolved. Also, very hard to crack or split.

On picture 3 and 4, there u can see rock, in dry form, notice subtle porosity, which is equal on outside as in inside of the rock. This ball size of rock weight around 3kg, partially dissolve in acid, there are some points inside which is solid, and remain unaffected by the acid. Totally usable in tanks for life and filtration. Easy to crack, with some loses.

On picture 5, there's real deal.....this two pieces of rock, ball size each, weights below 1kg each, fully dissolves in acid in matter of minutes, almost impossible to break with hammer and chisel, it shatters in small pieces. From point of filtration, the best thing..... Costs much more, but, with average weight of <1 kg for large piece, it comes to same, you really cannot put 50kg of these in any normal size tank ;)

Of course, point of collection also affects look of rock, but main point is here, either dry or wet, dead or live, type of rock matters most....

To conclude this, buy anything you want, believe in anything, trust anyone u want, for me, there is and it will always be difference in type of rock, and that matters more than his "wet, live, dry, dead or whatever u want to call" it state.

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 43
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 33
  • pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 35
  • pic4.jpg
    pic4.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 42
  • pic5.JPG
    pic5.JPG
    172.5 KB · Views: 46

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn’t matter what the OP did or didn’t do or what she clicked or didn’t click. The fact remains that Caribsea is marketing a product that is all a lie. Starting with the false names and ending with the false claims. I still remember when I didn’t know anything and have compassion for those people.
Yeah alright man the next time someone buys a stick of chapstick be careful to confuse it with chopsticks. after all you wont blame yourself you will blame the false labelling!!
I really do think people were mad because the vibrant thread was closed and they want to continue it else where.

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah alright man the next time someone buys a stick of chapstick be careful to confuse it with chopsticks. after all you wont blame yourself you will blame the false labelling!!
I really do think people were mad because the vibrant thread was closed and they want to continue it else where.
“Did all the possible mistakes in this hobby, so that you don't have to!”

Wouldn’t it have been nice to have somebody there to keep you from making those mistakes? You made your point. And I’ve made mine. Have a nice life.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Did all the possible mistakes in this hobby, so that you don't have to!”

Wouldn’t it have been nice to have somebody there to keep you from making those mistakes? You made your point. And I’ve made mine. Have a nice life.
I think everyone has different definitions of what nice things are. I take pride in doing mistakes (not on purpose of course) , after all its what I learn from the most. I think my signature is misleading too since I just did another mistake; spending to much time on this particular thread.
Thank you! wish you all the best too!

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So everyone thinks they're getting scammed by Caribsea Life Rock. Have I got some news for you... Marketing is a part of everything you touch as a consumer, including the menu you order from at a restaurant (yes, menus are designed to get you to order the stuff the restaurant wants you to order -- it's actually very fascinating). The one thing I always say I want to develop is classes for consumers, to help everyone be smarter and more savvy as consumers. No one else is going to do it for you, and you will encounter marketing everywhere you go.

Last edited:

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree. Life Rock / Live Rock. It's just misleading. I have been in this hobby for many years, but can't imagine how confusing it would be if I were to be starting out today with all of the marketing jargon and useless equipment and additives being pushed on us. I think many new reef keepers would be shocked to learn, how little in terms of equipment and structural rock, it takes to be successful.

LIve rock used to be rock that was taken directly from the ocean with all kinds of sponges, bacteria, sea fans, crabs and algae included. Good or bad, depends on the goal of each individual reef aquarist. I think it's best to assume that all rock is just wet or dry "base rock" and we should stop using the term "live".

If you see rock in a tank, at a store... ask how long it's been soaking. That will give you an idea of how much phosphate it has already leached into the surrounding water. Far as bacteria, it really doesn't matter. Main reason to soak rock, is to extract harmful nutrients. This can accomplished in fresh RODI, as well. You won't have any of that beneficial bacteria included, but that can be added later. Just get as much detritus and dead stuff out, as you can, before adding it into your tank.

I can't help but feel that rock that has been painted purple, is simply sealing all of that stuff in, to slowly leach out over many years.

Either way, a good observation on your part and worth sharing.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 28 16.7%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 69 41.1%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 25 14.9%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 36 21.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.0%
Back