Black box internal wiring

AngiGiles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I assure you I've looked everywhere and apparently I am the only idiot with this problem. We got a couple of Blackbox lights, I believe with the upgraded panel (according to google searches) the one is a mars aqua 165, the other a noname. My husband pulled the noname apart to clean, bless his heart, he didn't pay attention to where the wires plugged together. So, I'm stuck. I can get it all up and running but end up with an "extra" plug. It's a blue and white coming from the light panel, or if I plug that one in then I have 1 leftt over going to a led driver.. can someone help?? And apparently, dumb it REAL DOWN.

20220617_173115.jpg 20220617_173133.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't recognize the blackbox you have, but appears you have three sets of wires coming form the LED plate. I'm going to guess that one set goes to predominately blues\ LEDs, another set goes to predominately white LEDs, and these two would each have one of the white larger rectangular power supplies on the left and right of the unit. The last wire set going to the LED plate is a guess of being for night/moon lights. The power supply would be that smaller black box you show in your second picture.

Let me see if I can find some pictures of a couple blackboxes I've worked on....I'll be back.

EDIT TO ADD:

I'm only able to find boards that don't have moon lights, so they only have two wire sets:

1655521803791.png

And all the PCB boards that I've seen, the wire sets going to the main blues and white LEDs have been red and black. Because of this, I'm going to speculate that the white and blue wire set on your board is for the moon lights.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

AngiGiles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg... frikken MOON LIGHTS!! Holy smokes.. I am feeling incredibly dumb, seriously want to delete this and pretend it never happened! But now I might as well share with you all! So I did process of elimination, I figured out the 2 white boxes going to each red/black led panel, I plugged several others in different configurations, the biggest problem is that I have 1 extra "female" (do they call them clips male and female?) But having no idea which were correct, I just tested. I got fans and everything to work, dimmers and all but my leftover plug kept being this led driver and I'm like.. well that seems important, probably shouldn't be left over. So then I decide, well I'm gonna try those blue/white in to that thing, flip the switch and only 3 blue lights turn on, well that can't be right!?? They won't turn off! .... well you can figure out the rest, been racking my brain, and they're freaking moon lights!! It all makes sense now.. ugh. And the leftover wire is coming from the black power supply then.. upgrades? Haha

Side question, the fans run constant, but oly 2, 3rd I assume broken. Most boxes I see only have 2, is it worth it to try to find a 3rd replacement?
Also, is it right that the fans are blowing at the plate? Or should they blow out of the box? (Previously installed blowing on plate, just seems weird, but I've only built computers)

Last edited:

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you've got it figured out!

When you say fans are always ON, I'm hoping you mean when the lights are on. If the lights are off, the fans should be off.

And fans not working are a common replacement item....you get a couple years out of them and then they need to be replaced. I typically buy a five-pack to have them on hand. Most fans I've replaced, they come with three wires when you only need two....black and red. Just cut the third wire off.

The five-pack I last ordered is no longer available. I did find THIS THREE-PACK, and this assumes you have 120 mm by 25 mm fans....the most common size.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When you say fans are always ON, I'm hoping you mean when the lights are on. If the lights are off, the fans should be off.

And fans not working are a common replacement item....you get a couple years out of them and then they need to be replaced. I typically buy a five-pack to have them on hand. Most fans I've replaced, they come with three wires when you only need two....black and red. Just cut the third wire off.

The five-pack I last ordered is no longer available. I did find THIS THREE-PACK, and this assumes you have 120 mm by 25 mm fans....the most common size.
Not help-ful but for reference and probably why it has 5 power supplies/drivers..
1 fan
2 main drivers
moonlight driver
logic circuit power supply.

Def not a common model..

OP
OP
A

AngiGiles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Another couple questions, if you don't mind?
The fans turn on when I flip the switch, even if I haven't turned the dials on.. is that normal? And I am wo during if I posted some better pics, could someone share with me how exactly thing should be hooked up? For instance, I have the fans hooked to a lead from the front led screen, they work yes, but I bet that's not right?

OP
OP
A

AngiGiles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the fans should blow at the plate then, yes?

Attachments

• 20220618_174408.jpg
    20220618_174408.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 20220618_174417.jpg
    20220618_174417.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 20220618_174500.jpg
    20220618_174500.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 26

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fans blow on the aluminum plate which is a heat sink for the LEDs.

Now again, I'm guessing, with this picture:

LED Guts.jpg

I'm now thinking the black LED power supply is for the fans while the small white LED driver is for the moon lights.

And there is no name on this unit, inside or out? It would be nice to know whose light it is.

OP
OP
A

AngiGiles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fans blow on the aluminum plate which is a heat sink for the LEDs.

Now again, I'm guessing, with this picture:

LED Guts.jpg

I'm now thinking the black LED power supply is for the fans while the small white LED driver is for the moon lights.

And there is no name on this unit, inside or out? It would be nice to know whose light it is.
No name, no anything anywhere! The black led power supply has a few things off it, it goes to the dimmers also. The moonlights work off the white LED driver, but that leaves the fans plugging in to that little green board, the soldered wires to the left, as opposed to the clips on the right. Does that seem right? The LED screen says like white on, blue on, ect. It used to have a remote he said, would it make sense that it's "controlling" the fans that way?

Really I just want to be sure I'm not burning down my house over a "fish light" that I can't hook up right haha

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back