Black Boxes - Fire Hazard?

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the issue is that I had an electrician come to fix the burned outlet and he said that it was pretty obvious that the product wasnt UL listed because any of these UL listed products should flip a breaker instead staying on long enough to catch fire. He said they don't use proper grounding techniques and that the internal components were cheap as they come. Basically you may not have an issue, but 1 in 10 may have an issue. Basically he said go for UL listed items, because insurance wont cover non UL listed items causing a fire. Not worth the risk imo.
Incorrect insurance will actually cover it, and even the Exotech radions are not UL listed for safety approval.

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Incorrect insurance will actually cover it, and even the Exotech radions are not UL listed for safety approval.

To your point about the UL listing and insurance, you are correct.

I had actually contacted USAA (my insurance provider) and asked the young lady on the phone about UL certification requirement and coverage in case of fire. According to her, at least as far as USAA is concerned, UL certification or lack there of has no bearing on coverage (the primary focus is negligence on part of the customer) . Apparently they get asked thar UL listing question every now and again and she wasn't sure when or where that rumor started, but she said she had never heard of USAA, or any insurance carrier, to verify UL certificate while assessing a claim.

That being said, check your insurance documents for terms of coverage just to be safe.

MJV15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely following as I've seen it brought up numerous times in different posts/forums and is sourced from "my neighbor's, mother in law's distant cousin once told me...." and not a personal account.

Heck, even BRS gave a nod to it without much, if any, actual source to back it up.... Video is a bit dated now, but I would guess people still see it and take it as gospel.

So it took me about 10 seconds on amazon to find this fist hand account from 2019. This was literally the first black box listed on amazon.
If you want more just look at the one star reviews almost all of them have one talking about things smoking or burning. Unless it’s a new listing so it only has a handful of reviews.
A2FF10A8-4319-4178-8F32-50A234FCE5A4.jpeg

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So it took me about 10 seconds on amazon to find this fist hand account from 2019. This was literally the first black box listed on amazon.
If you want more just look at the one star reviews almost all of them have one talking about things smoking or burning. Unless it’s a new listing so it only has a handful of reviews.

Do you have a link? I cannot find it.

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of posting screenshot of review, it would be much better and more beneficial if you posted a link to the actual light. This way everyone can see which fixture you are talking about

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think I found it, it's for a viparspectra 165. Couldn't find any other ones.

Unfortunately his account of the events leave for much to be desired. I'd be curious to see the actual fixture and the damage.

MJV15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of posting screenshot of review, it would be much better and more beneficial if you posted a link to the actual light. This way everyone can see which fixture you are talking about

VIPARSPECTRA Timer Control Dimmable 165W 300W LED Aquarium Light Full Spectrum for Grow Coral Reef Marine Fish Tank LPS/SPS

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
VIPARSPECTRA Timer Control Dimmable 165W 300W LED Aquarium Light Full Spectrum for Grow Coral Reef Marine Fish Tank LPS/SPS

Thanks. From what was included, I will say this. Seeing how much dust there is on the top of the tank, I wonder how much dust there was on top of the fixture or inside the fixture. He had it 40" from top of the tank? Thats basically bolted near the top of the ceiling. Probably never cleaned dust, possibly didnt have enough room for vents to do their thing and cool it down. All I can do is guess based on vague info, but if I am anywhere close to my guesses being correct, any light fixture would have suffered same outcome.

Not that it cant happen, but all you have to do is look at really long thread here about these units to see that what this person wrote is either a one off or user error in the end.

GSnake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use all kinds of economical equipment for my eco nano reef, blackbox being one of them. the only thing that has happened to me related to fire, is smoke coming from a toasted power adapter that burnt out or something. it was shipped with my led strip light and after investigation I found it was lower amps then it should have been so it didn't last long.... starting with flickering then blew up one day. (mini explosion- sounds like a firecracker)

black boxes are fine though :) no problems yet. fingers crossed

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back