Black Bugs - An Acro keepers worst nightmare?

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Both corals no longer have the white bugs but I now see more of the black bugs in todays photos.
DSC_0972.JPG

DSC_0977.JPG

Yes that is exactly what I had. The 4x interceptor will knock them all out but it will kill shrimp and crabs too so remove those that you can. Snails and fish are perfectly fine and my acros LOVED it, I dont remember if I had urchins then or not.

Rickyrooz

Acropora Nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that is exactly what I had. The 4x interceptor will knock them all out but it will kill shrimp and crabs too so remove those that you can. Snails and fish are perfectly fine and my acros LOVED it, I dont remember if I had urchins then or not.

I did 4 times dose and didn't lose anything. Makes me question if it really worked. I still see crabs, bristleworms, and amphipods roaming around. No sign of the white bugs but I still see the black bugs.

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I did 4 times dose and didn't lose anything. Makes me question if it really worked. I still see crabs, bristleworms, and amphipods roaming around. No sign of the white bugs but I still see the black bugs.

I lost all pods, crabs, and shrimp.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Rickyrooz

Acropora Nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're moving in the right direction! The third treatment I mixed the Interceptor in boiling water which completely dissolved the medicine. This technique speaks for itself because the first two treatments only took out the white bugs but not the black bugs. I added two large dog chewable tablets (23 mg) each of Interceptor for the 120 gallon and 2 tablets for the 160 gallon.

Before treatment
Before.jpg

After treatment
After.jpg

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're moving in the right direction! The third treatment I mixed the Interceptor in boiling water which completely dissolved the medicine. This technique speaks for itself because the first two treatments only took out the white bugs but not the black bugs. I added two large dog chewable tablets (23 mg) each of Interceptor for the 120 gallon and 2 tablets for the 160 gallon.

Before treatment
Before.jpg

After treatment
After.jpg
Nice photos, and good luck!

PGT253

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Before treatment
Before.jpg

After treatment
After.jpg

Any more sign of black bugs after the last treatment?

Rickyrooz

Acropora Nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any more sign of black bugs after the last treatment?

All gone thankfully, color is coming back on the acro's and the corals that had retracted polyps are showing more extension each day. The key for me was to mix the medication is boiling hot water so it completely dissolved.

Glauber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Albert use bayer dip from home depot it works wondeers

PGT253

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All gone thankfully, color is coming back on the acro's and the corals that had retracted polyps are showing more extension each day. The key for me was to mix the medication is boiling hot water so it completely dissolved.
Thanks for sharing! I'm glad it worked out well for you. What was your dosage?

Sophisticated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I was looking through this post and I was wondering if anyone could I'd this for me?

Are these black bugs? It doesnt move and when I dip them with coralrx nothing comes off. I can't even blow it off or scrape it off with a knife
IMG_20200602_173836.jpg

IMG_20200602_185604.jpg

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back