Black Bugs - An Acro keepers worst nightmare?

Sophisticated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2nd pic is them - they move around quickly. I believe I might have them. I’m thinking about just doing the Interceptor treatment just to be done with it.

These don't move at all, should they move if they outside the water? is it possible that this is just something else what can grow on dead skeleton?
Because nothing happens when I dip it and when I scratch it

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those look like a type of coral boring black worm. Forget the name and it might not even be anything to worry about but there is a black worm type thing that lives in the skeleton that can affect acropora. I don’t see them in the live flesh though but I haven’t had much experience with them at all.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I was looking through this post and I was wondering if anyone could I'd this for me?

Are these black bugs? It doesnt move and when I dip them with coralrx nothing comes off. I can't even blow it off or scrape it off with a knife
IMG_20200602_173836.jpg

IMG_20200602_185604.jpg

This is what I was referring to sorry I didn’t quote it. I would cut any spots with the black spots that don’t move off of corals that have healthy parts. I have heard they can cause damage but I don’t think we know much about them. If you cut the branch you can see them inside the skeleton where the cut was made. Good way to see if it’s them. The names still escaping me, no one knows what I am referring to?

BAUCE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine did once they would upset the coral to the point where pe was non-existent. I observed them crawling in and out the coralites. During exposure to interceptor they would get irritated and come out that’s when I was no longer “underwhelmed” by the visual number of bugs for the amount damage they cause. This solidifies my believe in the follow ups. Then there’s whole debate whether or not they lay eggs.
this is nightmare fuel

CapAquaATX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, have a client with an SPS dominant reef. Dips every incoming coral, has placed mainly aquacultured frags but does have a few wild colonies. A big Australian colony he has started to lose PE a month ago and has progressively gone downhill.

We observed little black bugs on
image0 (1).jpeg
the flesh and moved the coral to a bucket to try and knock some off to ID them. Are these what ya'll are calling black bugs?

CapAquaATX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Acrostick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience with these few years ago. I fought them for 3 months. Dipping would knock their numbers down but not out. I believe the most important thing I observed from these are this: when we dip corals they put off a slime coat. I noticed a few bugs in the coralites of an acro. I truly believe the slime coat I:E: protected the bug from the dip. I have a real hatred with these pest from losing over 100 highend acros. I definitely feel the pain for those who have fought these things. I'm guessing i had a different strain of the bugs. I tried the interceptor at 6x strength 3 doses and all the the bugs did was whip the middle finger at me while dosing it. Lol.

Clownreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience with these few years ago. I fought them for 3 months. Dipping would knock their numbers down but not out. I believe the most important thing I observed from these are this: when we dip corals they put off a slime coat. I noticed a few bugs in the coralites of an acro. I truly believe the slime coat I:E: protected the bug from the dip. I have a real hatred with these pest from losing over 100 highend acros. I definitely feel the pain for those who have fought these things. I'm guessing i had a different strain of the bugs. I tried the interceptor at 6x strength 3 doses and all the the bugs did was whip the middle finger at me while dosing it. Lol.
How did you beat them?

Acrostick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly I didn't. I only saved 2 of my acros. Pink floyd and a no name. I'm probably going to get ripped for this but I'm going to type it. I speculated that I caught them from stumptown corals. Its known knowledge that he and golden basket swap corals all the time. I went to fragniappe frag swap where golden basket had a booth. I bought a milli from him there so could take it home and see if it had the black bugs. Sure enough, I saw probably 20 bugs in the bag. Threw the coral away immediately. I dont have a quarantine tank still. I do buy from only trusted sellers now. I cut all coral off their plugs, dip, and magnify glass all coral before they go into display. I'm probably lucky but I have not had a pest for 3 years doing it this way. Could it have been a 1 time ordeal? Possibly , but when several aquarist PM'd me about the same vendor then I can't believe it was. My 2 cents but a valuable lesson learned.

Clownreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You shouldn't get ripped. The truth is the truth.

I know I have them but its a slow battle. When I see a frag receding, I take it out out and scrub the bugs off into a bucket. My Mayori and Melanarus wrasse seem to pick the rest. Ive tried sentinel, interceptor, nothing works. It's a slow, slow battle. The frags I've managed to save are healing in a rack. I hope I can get rid of them.. They're truly a nightmare. I only buy frags from Budmans or Battle Corals now.. I dont trust any large retailer.

Acrostick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they are. I hope you can defeat these things. I called them spawn from satan himself. It's a lot of work but I assume if you defeat them the feeling of conquering them would be very gratifying. Good luck!

Clownreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I notice they like to congregate at the base of the coral which makes them easy targets for the wrasses. When they're on a frag in a plug they like to hide under the plug. They seem to sleep during the day too..

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You guys have any experience with these?
gfx121.jpg
GF250.jpg
GF120.jpg
Near impossible to kill with dip. Interceptor pill from a veternarian is the only real answer to actually killing them.

w2inc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dip of 2 Tbls potassium chloride to one gallon of tank water, 10 minute dip. Doesn't kill eggs though.
It is worth trying. I think I have some of that in the house. I am not feeling great about taking out all of my inverts. Maybe I will dip them and put them in a different tank while I try to catch the inverts I want to keep.

They move pretty fast and don't seem that committed to the frag they live on. I cut a frag from the colony to take in to the vet. I was careful to turn off all pumps and bag the thing underwater to make sure the bugs stayed on the frag. Either they all escaped during fragging, or the vet couldnt find them.

He prescribed interceptor and I will get it in the mail in a few days.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back