Black Friday sales worth waiting for?

Aquatican

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to finish acquiring what I need for a tank upgrade by the end of the month, but wondered if it wouldn't be beneficial to wait till BRS has their Black Friday sale. Could anyone tell me what kind of discounts I can expect? Need another MP40, Radion XR15, and maybe an Apex controller and UV if the prices are right.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will not dictate it, the manufacturers will. All those items are MAP, so if it is on sale at BRS, it will be the same sale price every where. With the shortages this year, no one knows what to expect. Look at the Premium Aquatics (my favorite vendor) or BRS forum and find the black friday thread from last year. That should give you an idea of what those manufacturers did last year. Premium Aquatics will most likely have 15% or so off non map items.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At best on MAP products from AI, Neptune, Ecotech and so on I've never seen anything more than 10% off on any sale at any time of the year. So I wouldn't expect anything more than that, if anything atall :)

OP
OP
Aquatican

Aquatican

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will not dictate it, the manufacturers will. All those items are MAP, so if it is on sale at BRS, it will be the same sale price every where. With the shortages this year, no one knows what to expect. Look at the Premium Aquatics (my favorite vendor) or BRS forum and find the black friday thread from last year. That should give you an idea of what those manufacturers did last year. Premium Aquatics will most likely have 15% or so off non map items.
Thanks for the heads up on Premium Aquatics! Will check them out.

OP
OP
Aquatican

Aquatican

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At best on MAP products from AI, Neptune, Ecotech and so on I've never seen anything more than 10% off on any sale at any time of the year. So I wouldn't expect anything more than that, if anything atall :)
Waiting for 10% and a delayed start doesn't sound as appetizing as skipping eating out for dinner a couple of times.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to finish acquiring what I need for a tank upgrade by the end of the month, but wondered if it wouldn't be beneficial to wait till BRS has their Black Friday sale. Could anyone tell me what kind of discounts I can expect? Need another MP40, Radion XR15, and maybe an Apex controller and UV if the prices are right.

10% on those, I think last year Tunze was 20%

OP
OP
Aquatican

Aquatican

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10% on those, I think last year Tunze was 20%
20% is worth waiting for, and I have considered choosing the Turbelle 6040 over another MP40, but there is something to be said about a DT with no cords going in it.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20% is worth waiting for, and I have considered choosing the Turbelle 6040 over another MP40, but there is something to be said about a DT with no cords going in it.

I had Vortech but got sick of replacing wet sides. When I saw 20% off... I went Tunze. They are big though.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tunze is usually included in all the holiday % sales thru out the year. BF is usually their best though. I think the ATO is usually priced around $150. Some of the other good brands that aren't sold everywhere such as Reefbreeders and Noopsyche will have sale prices also.

OP
OP
Aquatican

Aquatican

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waiting to see what might go on sale also. May start collecting for the next build
I hear ya! Been collecting for my upgrade for about a year now. Too bad money doesn't grow on trees!

OP
OP
Aquatican

Aquatican

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had Vortech but got sick of replacing wet sides. When I saw 20% off... I went Tunze. They are big though.
This will be my first go round with MP40s. Been using the Ice Cap gyre on my nano with not trouble for about 2 years. How often were you replacing your wet sides?

OP
OP
Aquatican

Aquatican

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze is usually included in all the holiday % sales thru out the year. BF is usually their best though. I think the ATO is usually priced around $150. Some of the other good brands that aren't sold everywhere such as Reefbreeders and Noopsyche will have sale prices also.
I bought a Tunze macro algae reactor this year and the build quality is second to none!

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
99% there will be no discount on the stuffs you wanted because they’re MAP. Even their products wasn’t go on sale during the pandemic. The best deal was the G5 coming out and all the G4 was like $325 with a free diffuser, that’s $500 retail.

you better off getting them used if you want discounts.

OP
OP
Aquatican

Aquatican

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
99% there will be no discount on the stuffs you wanted because they’re MAP. Even their products wasn’t go on sale during the pandemic. The best deal was the G5 coming out and all the G4 was like $325 with a free diffuser, that’s $500 retail.

you better off getting them used if you want discounts.
Funny you said that as I am seriously considering a used G4 in the dry goods forum. Thanks for the input!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will be my first go round with MP40s. Been using the Ice Cap gyre on my nano with not trouble for about 2 years. How often were you replacing your wet sides?

Lasted about a year....my old wetsides from 2012 are actually still in use but the new ones are a bit different and just have not held up for me. Mine was MP10 not mp40 so no idea if they suffer the same problem.

I know I am not alone..

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lasted about a year....my old wetsides from 2012 are actually still in use but the new ones are a bit different and just have not held up for me. Mine was MP10 not mp40 so no idea if they suffer the same problem.

I know I am not alone..

I'm still using an original MP10, so that is what - 2008?. Been running continuously the entire time on my 30gal tank.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a link to the BF sale at Premium last year. The MAP items are going to be the same at all retailers. Only difference may be some retailers may have a rewards program and they may offer extra reward points with certain item purchases. That is how they can get around MAP pricing.

OP
OP
Aquatican

Aquatican

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I know I am not alone..

That sucks! I hope mine hold up like Opus' are!

OP
OP
Aquatican

Aquatican

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a link to the BF sale at Premium last year. The MAP items are going to be the same at all retailers. Only difference may be some retailers may have a rewards program and they may offer extra reward points with certain item purchases. That is how they can get around MAP pricing.

Many thanks for the link! I just bought a used 2020 XR15pro G4 with diffuser for $320 off of the forum, which saved me about $100 for other gear or corals. Will keep my eyes pealed for other deals, but seeing as how an MP40 isn't likely to go on sale during BF, and I don't want to buy a used pump, I will likely pull the trigger on a new one.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back