Black mollie test question

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a strange question. I successfully converted 3 black mollies to salt water. They have been thriving for several days. However, one mollie has stringy whitish poop. I know this MAY indicate internal parasites. But my question is since I saw this almost immediately could it be the freshwater variety that is took in with it and if so would it cure on its own since shouldn’t thrive in salt water? Or do you think it can actually catch the saltwater parasite. That quickly? I know it may not even be a parasite so should I just keep watching? Thoughts

absowry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep watching, but any freshwater parasites or infections should be immediately killed by saltwater.

Give it another day or two, then I would treat for internal parasites.

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They probably already had worms from their freshwater days or it is just from a stressful adjustment. You can treat them by food soaking api general cure or fenbendazole, there's instructions here for medicating food. This is what Humblefish recommends when encountering white stringy poop after acclimating them

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep watching, but any freshwater parasites or infections should be immediately killed by saltwater.

Give it another day or two, then I would treat for internal parasites.

white stringy poop is not a guaranteed sign of parasites

IMO do not give them medications until you've given them enough time to adapt, feed them well during this time so they can replace lost proteins

absowry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
white stringy poop is not a guaranteed sign of parasites

IMO do not give them medications until you've given them enough time to adapt, feed them well during this time so they can replace lost proteins
That's what I was going for.

When I kept fw mollies years ago, their poop was usually semi stringy as it was due to the food we used. We never had an issue with them. Maybe it's something similar.

OP
OP
moz71

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all. I agree on all. I just looked again and don’t see any stringy pooo right now so fingers crossed and I will just keep close eyes on it. Happy right now don’t see any others signs and hoping rank is free of parasites.

Spar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just converted 4 black mollies as well. Immediately upon increasing the salinity (about 5-8ppt per day) they came down with bacterial infections. Seemed odd but I fixed it with Furan2 and Kanaplex.

They all are in my 450g now doing their canary test thing. They seem to be eating fine, but just look really rough. Especially the males look really beat up on their fins and their skin/scales look kind of chalky. The females have the chalky look as well. Any idea what this could be related to? i.e. they just aren't their normal dark black look.

I'm not seeing any white stringy poop like moz71 is, but figured this would be a good post to ask about my situation.

absowry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just converted 4 black mollies as well. Immediately upon increasing the salinity (about 5-8ppt per day) they came down with bacterial infections. Seemed odd but I fixed it with Furan2 and Kanaplex.

They all are in my 450g now doing their canary test thing. They seem to be eating fine, but just look really rough. Especially the males look really beat up on their fins and their skin/scales look kind of chalky. The females have the chalky look as well. Any idea what this could be related to? i.e. they just aren't their normal dark black look.

I'm not seeing any white stringy poop like moz71 is, but figured this would be a good post to ask about my situation.
I had the same thing happen to my sw Mollie and it was brooklynella. Had to let my dt go fallow for six weeks while I qted my Mollie and two clowns.

Spar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same thing happen to my sw Mollie and it was brooklynella. Had to let my dt go fallow for six weeks while I qted my Mollie and two clowns.
My tank just finished going fallow for 3 months (90+ days). I did two rounds of Chloroquine Phosphate on the two fish that survived a velvet outbreak in my tank. I added back the two fish after the QT and fallow period. And now added the Mollies. I added the Mollies because the surviving Purple Tang I had died relatively quickly after being reintroduced to my tank. The other fish is a Bangaii Cardinalfish and seems to be doing fine. Odd things going on....

OP
OP
moz71

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely something odd going on there. How quick did the symptoms show. Mine (knock on wood) look great. I actually took several days to fully bring up to 1.025. To go along with Soar issue. How long would it take for the black mollies to show signs if there is parasites still present? Mine been in tank for about 5 days now not including the acclimation over several days. Should that indicate my tank is good?

Spar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally two weeks is a good length of time given multiple waves of the disease/parasite can attack the fish and have a chance to jump off in the meantime.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank just finished going fallow for 3 months (90+ days). I did two rounds of Chloroquine Phosphate on the two fish that survived a velvet outbreak in my tank. I added back the two fish after the QT and fallow period. And now added the Mollies. I added the Mollies because the surviving Purple Tang I had died relatively quickly after being reintroduced to my tank. The other fish is a Bangaii Cardinalfish and seems to be doing fine. Odd things going on....
Did you acclimate the mollies to saltwater?

Isaac Alves

www.instagram.com/theloneaquarist/
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had mollies in my saltwater tank before. Both petco purchased and saltwater bred from Florida. They just seemed to get HUGE and ate everything. They ended breeding too much and literally devoured any softy I had in the tank. Ultimately I had to give them up to my local LFS because of it. These were kept for approximately a year in my mandarin tank which does not have crazy flow and has chaeto growing in the display -- perfect fry hiding place.

In any case, I also saw the stringy poop after the first week. I only drop acclimated for 2 hours. But after that first week everything was fine.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back