Black Sand and fish compatability

D. Torres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I am currently in the process of setting up a Red Sea Max S 650 to upgrade from my 75g. I want to use the Hawaiian black sand because I like the way it looks in my 20g. My question is: Do certain type of fish have a problem with the black sand?
Current livestock that will be transferred is:
1 sailfin
1 yellow tang
1 scopas
2 clowns
1 scissor tail goby
1 cleaner shrimp
1 harlequin shrimp
Several snails and hermits
Coral that is currently on sandbed:
5 rockflower nems
2 bubble corals
1 lobo
2 acan (frag size)

I plan on getting some sort of sand sifting goby and sand dwelling fish like a wrass. My concern is that the black sand will be too rough/coarse for certain fish such as those. Does anyone have any experience using black sand with sand dwelling livestock? I am aware it's magnetic and some people's claim that it leaches metals into the water as well. My only concern is the fish being able to be safe and healthy in the environment I will place them in. Thanks in advance.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the black sand is too thick, diamond gobies may not be a good choice (maybe sand sifting stars?). Nassarius snails would work but they are not a true sand sifter. Conchs would be able to scoot the surface. Natures ocean black is 0.5-1.5mm grain size and Carib sea black is 0.25-3.5mm.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 41.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back