Black spots on clown

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP, ich is caused from stress so even if nobody has it, it doesn't mean it can't surface.

As long as he's eating and his behavior is not abnormal, then you're fine. It's probably a sting from corals or something else. It'll go away after a day or two. Mine used to get it too. It it went away shortly after.

I think you'll be fine. As mentioned before just make sure he's eating and keep an eye on it.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP, ich is caused from stress so even if nobody has it, it doesn't mean it can't surface.

As long as he's eating and his behavior is not abnormal, then you're fine. It's probably a sting from corals or something else. It'll go away after a day or two. Mine used to get it too. It it went away shortly after.

I think you'll be fine. As mentioned before just make sure he's eating and keep an eye on it.
Ich is a parasite, not a disease. Thus, it's not caused by stress. However, its certainly true that if you don't qt and treat all fish before going in your DT (and thus you're utilizing ich management methods) that any stress event can trigger an outbreak, some can be fatal.

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich is a parasite, not a disease. Thus, it's not caused by stress. However, its certainly true that if you don't qt and treat all fish before going in your DT (and thus you're utilizing ich management methods) that any stress event can trigger an outbreak, some can be fatal.

I guess what i'm trying to say is it's not ONLY brought into a tank... for example, if you don't have ich in your system, and your fish get stressed out and their immune system drops, then there's a chance that they will get ich and it will surface in the tank... or am i totally wrong on this?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
, if you don't have ich in your system, and your fish get stressed out and their immune system drops, then there's a chance that they will get ich and it will surface in the tank... or am i totally wrong on this?

If there is no ich in the system (wasn't brought in) then it's not possible for a fish to develop it simply from being stressed. It's a parasite only... not a condition. Stress can make a fish more susceptible to the parasite which is why people believe this, but it's always been there... just in the gills where you can't see signs of it with your eye. There are behavioral symptoms that will give you a clue as to if you have ich in your system though: Flashing, scratching, heavy breathing ect.

noahw.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know how true this is but I've heard that as clowns get older spots like those appear that's what I've been told by my kids but I'm no clown expert

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there is no ich in the system (wasn't brought in) then it's not possible for a fish to develop it simply from being stressed. It's a parasite only... not a condition. Stress can make a fish more susceptible to the parasite which is why people believe this, but it's always been there... just in the gills where you can't see signs of it with your eye. There are behavioral symptoms that will give you a clue as to if you have ich in your system though: Flashing, scratching, heavy breathing ect.

Can you please explain to me what "flashing" is exactly? I've tried to search for it but don't get any solid answers

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you please explain to me what "flashing" is exactly? I've tried to search for it but don't get any solid answers

We had a video of it somewhere on here but I'll try to explain it for you.

When you see a fish dart quickly toward the sand or rocks (even powerheads or any solid surface) and pull away just as the get there - effectively rubbing their body, usually their gills, against the sand.

cloudisback1997

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my clowns had spots like these before. It went away. Was nothing to worry about

cloudisback1997

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9b19e872ece29c60b249faab988ee11c.jpg
this was 2 years ago

583976d0e7d950741f88697049c6d641.jpg
583976d0e7d950741f88697049c6d641.jpg
and present.
He is still alive and happy,lol

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had a video of it somewhere on here but I'll try to explain it for you.

When you see a fish dart quickly toward the sand or rocks (even powerheads or any solid surface) and pull away just as the get there - effectively rubbing their body, usually their gills, against the sand.

Ah i see.. My flasher is the only one that might have done something like that before... but that's only when I put my finger on the glass or move my hand and he gets "Scared" - i dont see him doing it himself trying to rub or scratch himself...

Although, I do catch him pretty often swimming back and forth on the glass "looking" at himself (and expanding all his fins)... and then he'll dart at his reflection in the glass and keep doing it multiple times and then stop... But i assume that's just him trying to attack himself? LOL

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although, I do catch him pretty often swimming back and forth on the glass "looking" at himself (and expanding all his fins)... and then he'll dart at his reflection in the glass and keep doing it multiple times and then stop... But i assume that's just him trying to attack himself? LOL

Yep. That would be him trying to intimidate his reflection. lol Pretty entertaining!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%

Back