Black spots on foxface and white on Clownfish

Softpaws

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch. How do I keep all my fish alive for that long in a smaller tank?

My 10 fish are doing great in a small 20G. I have had them in it for 46 days. I have done three water changes and still treating with copper. I have 3 live rocks in the water, which will be used for QT.
I also have a hang on filter, light, powerhead etc. My fish are all getting fat. Not that difficult actually. You'll see!

OP
OP
R

Rmcuddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20 gallon coming on Thursday and have all the medicines arriving then as well, hopefully it isnt too late. Do I just leave my crabs, hermits, snails, urchin, and shrimp in the DT and just feed lightly to keep them alive? Should I cut the light time way back since there's really no reason to have them on now since I have no coral?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you do the freshwater dip on the two affected fish yet? That's going to be the most important thing to do right away to give them some temporary relief

This ^^* Even if you are putting them back into the infected tank, neither will probably last until Thursday in their current condition...

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow tang, 2 clowns, a flame fairy wrasse, cardinalfish, foxface, midas blenny, lawnmower blenny, and a valentini puffer....I have to transfer these all to a QT? Also, I have several hermits, crabs, snails, and a cleaner shrimp...what about these? This sounds like a nightmare.

Crabs, shrimps, snails can stay in the fallow tank. Just the fish need moved over.

If you can pick up a 40breeder that should work pretty well, or two 20g tanks and split them up.

I’m not sure all 9 in a 20g is a great idea, water quality will definitely be a challenge... and aggression.

Pick up a bunch of PVC elbows in various sizes for the fish to hide/sleep. You’re also going to want a powerhead, air-pump/airstone, and a HOB filter with a sponge and biospira.

Softpaws

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure all 9 in a 20g is a great idea, water quality will definitely be a challenge... and aggression.

I haven't had any water quality problems with all my fish in about 15 gallons or so, but I did have aggression with my Keyhole Angel. I had to put a little "house" over him with live rock on top.
I squirt food into it daily when feeding the other fish. I'ts working out well. The two fish that were fighting now look at eachother peacefully through the plastic dish with the holes in it.

But they are doing well. I'll also turn on my aerator for an hour or so every once in a while.

OP
OP
R

Rmcuddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done the fresh water dip on the clownfish, but can't catch the Foxface with all of the rock hiding places he has. Unfortunately, I think its going to be too late for him. The clown seems to be struggling more now than before the bath.

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done the fresh water dip on the clownfish, but can't catch the Foxface with all of the rock hiding places he has. Unfortunately, I think its going to be too late for him. The clown seems to be struggling more now than before the bath.
The fwd is stressful but without the meds you need it's really all you can do at this point. You can try to make a fish trap for the fox face with a water bottle and some fishing line, weight it down and bait it with his favorite food and hope he swims in. Otherwise you can wait until bedtime and surprise him with a flashlight and net him. The information in this link may help you save them :

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/alprazos-salvage-protocol.213599/

OP
OP
R

Rmcuddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once I get the 20g all set up and up to temperature with the fish in there, do I dose all of the medications directly into it?

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, refer back to the treatment plan @ngoodermuth recommended, that's medication to be dosed into the water column. If they are looking bad follow the salvage protocol I referenced to possibly save them, you don't have a whole lot of time with how bad they looked. If you drop salinity it can be done immediately just so long as you don't shock them with temp change, if you drop the temp do it slowly

OP
OP
R

Rmcuddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, refer back to the treatment plan @ngoodermuth recommended, that's medication to be dosed into the water column. If they are looking bad follow the salvage protocol I referenced to possibly save them, you don't have a whole lot of time with how bad they looked. If you drop salinity it can be done immediately just so long as you don't shock them with temp change, if you drop the temp do it slowly
Alright thank you

OP
OP
R

Rmcuddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a big bottle of kick ich and reef rally, along with general cure and metro, can I use the kick ich for anything during treatment? I'd hate to let the big bottle sit there and not be used. The treatments will start tomorrow.

OP
OP
R

Rmcuddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my treatments today, a 90 minute bath in reef rally, then transferred to the QT and gave the first dose of general cure. Before that, I gave the flame wrasse a freshwater dip because it looked like it had the spots on it, and now I think that freshwater dip did it in. It's really struggling to stay upright...I figured I'd give it a night to see if it could survive. I also lost the midas blenny yesterday after a fresh water dip. We'll see how everything else does through the night.

As far as lighting, should I just set a timer for a couple of hours for the QT? Also, is there any reason to keep the lights on in the DT for just the crabs, snails, etc?

Also, I've had 3 fish go missing in the past few weeks, and I'm assuming they are dead under the rocks somewhere. Do I need to worry about these or should the crabs and everything clean them up? The crabs had already done a number on the Midas Blenny overnight.

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my treatments today, a 90 minute bath in reef rally, then transferred to the QT and gave the first dose of general cure. Before that, I gave the flame wrasse a freshwater dip because it looked like it had the spots on it, and now I think that freshwater dip did it in. It's really struggling to stay upright...I figured I'd give it a night to see if it could survive. I also lost the midas blenny yesterday after a fresh water dip. We'll see how everything else does through the night.

As far as lighting, should I just set a timer for a couple of hours for the QT? Also, is there any reason to keep the lights on in the DT for just the crabs, snails, etc?

Also, I've had 3 fish go missing in the past few weeks, and I'm assuming they are dead under the rocks somewhere. Do I need to worry about these or should the crabs and everything clean them up? The crabs had already done a number on the Midas Blenny overnight.
I think we need your expertise @ngoodermuth

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back