Black spots starting to form

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve had this clown for about 5 years. This clown has always been orange and grew super quick. Lately he’s starting to get black spots. Started with one random one and now he’s got about a dozen. Is this a disease or is he changing color? I’ve had others change to black but it was never spots like this they would just fade into a color.

Kobin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have your clowns tried hosting anything lately? Sometimes they develop black spots from the sting of coral/nems which fade away over time. Think it's called hyper-melanization. The only other thing I can think of is black ich developing on the clowns. Watch closely to see if it spreads to other fish. Black ich is much smaller than spots caused by hyper-melanization.

OP
OP
Cwentz758

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have your clowns tried hosting anything lately? Sometimes they develop black spots from the sting of coral/nems which fade away over time. Think it's called hyper-melanization. The only other thing I can think of is black ich developing on the clowns. Watch closely to see if it spreads to other fish. Black ich is much smaller than spots caused by hyper-melanization.
The only thing in the tank that can sting is two hammers, which it doesn’t try to host.

what’s the fix for black ich, never even heard of it

OP
OP
Cwentz758

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

better video. Seems to have more on him today. They’re not like grainy like white ich they’re blotchy. Some on his tail fin. The other clowns and fish don’t seem to have any.

#reedsquad

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.6%
Back