Black substance in AWC Container

ccurnick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I noticed some black film/flakes in the water in my AWC container. I emptied it out and discovered that it was covering the entire container, pump, tubes, etc.

My tank is a black acrylic tank from advanced acrylics, and all that was inside was a hydor koralia, 2 neptune optical sensors, 1 black RO tube attached to a piece of PVC, and 1 white RO tube. I have been using this setup since feb 2019 and just now saw this for the first time. I typically use Tropic Marin pro, but about a month or so ago I switched to Brightwell Neomarine. My instincts tell me that it is either the tank or the Salt. The cables of the pump/sensors seem totally intact.

I know that brightwell neomarine causes heat generation when mixed, I am wondering if this is hot enough to interact with the acrylic and/or cables in some manner?

Anyone else have any ideas?

OP
OP
ccurnick

ccurnick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The batch number (the one on the sticker?) is EXP030526A if anyone else is experiencing it.

OP
OP
ccurnick

ccurnick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't, its more like an oily film. its too small to capture a photo of, but it seems to align with previous issues people have had with certain batches. BRS reached out to them on my behalf and I am waiting for an answer. I made a small batch of water in a white bucket, and saw a similar black substance form. Ive just scratched using the salt all together and reordered TM Pro Reef, which was my normal salt. I only picked up Brightwell when TM was sold out everywhere.

roblox84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea. Does it look like bits of plastic?

If it looked like bits of plastic would you have any idea of what it would be? I just found some in my top off container that looked like plastic but at the same time kind of rubbery as well.

There was also some of this black coating in my airline tubing and i was able to pull some of this black stuff out which came out in one piece that was hollow like a tube, if that makes any sense.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can you get a picture of the stuff?

Duberz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed the same thing happening to me. I'm also using Brightwell Neomarine. I did a quick search and see other using this salt are experiencing the same thing.

f8th

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this same issue when I was running AWC using a 32G grey Brute trash can for storing Tropic Marin Pro saltwater. I kept two Maxi-Jet powerheads in the container for mixing, and white RO tubing to feed a DOS pump. It was a black residue that coated everything in the can and the inside of the RO tubing. It wiped off pretty easily with a towel, no idea if it was the can, the powerheads, bacteria or something else. I've stored TM Pro saltwater in other containers for a long time with no issues.

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought a bucket of neomarine which led me to search for this. The smell is off putting when first mixing which is why I stopped using it when it first came out, a sulfur type smell. Iafter reading so many positive reviews I figured I'd give it another go.
20200619_102111.jpg
I've gotten brown residue from IO in the past but this is more black like what would come out if you rinsed black sand. There are also a few clear/white plastic looking flakes in there as well. Water has been mixing for 16 hours

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Still don't know what it would be. Some type of bacteria is a possibility, as is some sort of rubbing pump that continually wore off bits of plastic inside.

Doesnt it seem likely that its mold/fungi - that are growing in the container - I have it in my 'RODI' container - and I dont care - should I? everything in the tank is fine. Algae can also grow like this - even in RODI water with - 0 TDS (Somehow)....

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just bought a bucket of neomarine which led me to search for this. The smell is off putting when first mixing which is why I stopped using it when it first came out, a sulfur type smell. Iafter reading so many positive reviews I figured I'd give it another go.
20200619_102111.jpg
I've gotten brown residue from IO in the past but this is more black like what would come out if you rinsed black sand. There are also a few clear/white plastic looking flakes in there as well. Water has been mixing for 16 hours
Thats normal with neomarine - I think its mg sulfate dissolving completely (or some other sulfate compound)

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gotta say Brightwell customer service is on their game. I got a call a few days after sending Marine Depot my experience. Brightwell showed genuine concern with the issue. They keep samples of each batch created and asked me to send them the batch number so they can test on their end.

I feel there were a few variables that could have come into play with the way I mixed the salt and possibly not a truly clean mixing barrel. So before have them retest I first plan to deep clean my salt mixing tub and plumbing and mix a fresh batch with 0 tds RODI following their guidelines. If i still see this issue after that, I'm going to send in my batch number and have them test it as well. I'll report back here once I do.

I will say I used the salt after filtering it through some serawool material. The tank was crystal clear the next morning with no negative effects.

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this same issue when I was running AWC using a 32G grey Brute trash can for storing Tropic Marin Pro saltwater. I kept two Maxi-Jet powerheads in the container for mixing, and white RO tubing to feed a DOS pump. It was a black residue that coated everything in the can and the inside of the RO tubing. It wiped off pretty easily with a towel, no idea if it was the can, the powerheads, bacteria or something else. I've stored TM Pro saltwater in other containers for a long time with no issues.
Legit the exact same thing happened to me recently, the most recent batch of saltwater I turned off the pumps and heater after 24hrs and haven’t noticed it since. Before I would turn everything on the night before doing a water change, figured it would help to stir up the salt and heat it again.

ChrisQ0904

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sounds like the same thing i have going on in my container but with red sea salt. I am now currently using brightwell but went back to mixing as I need it instead of storing it. I haven't noticed any black substance with my batch of brightwell but could also be from not storing it long term.

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to update here. I ran citric acid through my mixing station and gave it a deep clean of all plumbing, pumps, barrels and heaters. I mixed according to the bucket's instructions and got crystal clear water. This was from the same bucket as my previous post.

I'm assuming not having my water up to temp and possibly mixing too quickly caused an issue, not sure what.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back