Black Volitan

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a picture of a black Volitan (they look a lot different than a standard Volitan) I have had for several months. He was incredibly sick and took months to eat and then treatment. He is headed to a permanent home in a 220 in a couple months!

I've never seen a lion leave the water to get food before its in the tank... he grabs it out of my hands before it touches the surface!

Any tips on controlling cyano in a low flow area would be awesome, I like to leave a part of the tank with minimal flow for the lionfish
blacklion.jpg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
low flow + no light = no cyano

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Low flow is ok for lions, but it doesn't have to be no flow; there is no where in the ocean these guys go that's low flow like we think. I've found cyano to the product of an imbalance between nitrate(low) and phosphate(high) more than anything else, so controlling your phosphate would be a good benefit. I'm not sure if you are using full spectrum light, but one theory I do subscribe to, is that red spectrum feeds cyano, likely none of the corals actually needs the intensified reds, so you can pretty much turn them off if you have independent control.

He was always out and about, really pretty much the center ofvattention, always; I would consider it a medium flow tank with really no dead areas.

20181023_175059.jpg

OP
OP
Dolphins18

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Low flow is ok for lions, but it doesn't have to be no flow; there is no where in the ocean these guys go that's low flow like we think. I've found cyano to the product of an imbalance between nitrate(low) and phosphate(high) more than anything else, so controlling your phosphate would be a good benefit. I'm not sure if you are using full spectrum light, but one theory I do subscribe to, is that red spectrum feeds cyano, likely none of the corals actually needs the intensified reds, so you can pretty much turn them off if you have independent control.

He was always out and about, really pretty much the center ofvattention, always; I would consider it a medium flow tank with really no dead areas.

20181023_175059.jpg
That would explain things. As you’d imagine nitrates are difficult to handle in this tank. I’ve got an entire AI hydra lighting the fuge (high intensity red) more algae growth in there than I ever seen. I do not know the type of algae that’s growing in the fuge, it looks like a green synthetic plastic, outstanding job at controlling nitrates however. I will probably let the cyano be, there’s only one patch and it isn’t that big. Only in this tank a few more months

mine is also always out and about as well. He partially jumps out of the tank for food, it’s awesome.
That’s a beautiful fish, how long did you have him?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would explain things. As you’d imagine nitrates are difficult to handle in this tank. I’ve got an entire AI hydra lighting the fuge (high intensity red) more algae growth in there than I ever seen. I do not know the type of algae that’s growing in the fuge, it looks like a green synthetic plastic, outstanding job at controlling nitrates however. I will probably let the cyano be, there’s only one patch and it isn’t that big. Only in this tank a few more months

mine is also always out and about as well. He partially jumps out of the tank for food, it’s awesome.
That’s a beautiful fish, how long did you have him?

I had him for several years, he came from a friend's tank, he was with us in captivity about 12 years. This is the 3rd volitan I've kept more than 10 years. The key to longevity is too try and work in some fresh food and limit food high in thiaminese. Don't overfeed but feed his full and establish a gorge/fast feeding routine. Feeding a couple times a week to no more than every other day, Keep ca and mg at reef level, I mention this for the fowlr lions.

Back