Blackish spot on hippo tang.

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

I’ve had Gloria my hippo blue tang since she was about an inch and a half. She has a blackish spot near her eye that looks to be growing with her.

It’s now noticeable and I’m wondering what it is.

I’ve looked through various articles on the nets including R2R’s very own https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/fish-disease-index-pictorial-guide.285708/

I haven’t found anything that looks quite like it. At certain angles it almost shimmers or fades.

I tried to take some pictures, but she is skittish whenever I have my camera out, LOL.

Her behavior, movements, temperament, sociability, and appetite haven’t changed at all. I’ve had her since she was about an inch and a half. She is as spunky as ever.

Thoughts?

IMG_3499.jpeg

IMG_3501.jpeg

IMG_3483.jpeg

IMG_3495.jpeg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi there,

I’ve had Gloria my hippo blue tang since she was about an inch and a half. She has a blackish spot near her eye that looks to be growing with her.

I’ve looked through various articles on the nets including R2R’s very own https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/fish-disease-index-pictorial-guide.285708/

I haven’t found anything that looks quite like it. At certain angles it almost shimmers or fades.

I tried to take some pictures, but she is skittish whenever I have my camera out, LOL.

Her behavior, movements, temperament, sociability, and appetite haven’t changed at all. I’ve had her since she was about an inch and a half. She is as spunky as ever.

Thoughts?

IMG_3499.jpeg

IMG_3501.jpeg

IMG_3483.jpeg

IMG_3495.jpeg
Cant clearly see area as there is blue light and reflection in the room. Does not appear to be injury but rather raised like an isopod (not saying it is) or similar. Closer pic under while light intensity would be helpful

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

Thoughts?

IMG_3499.jpeg

IMG_3501.jpeg

IMG_3483.jpeg

IMG_3495.jpeg
Tough to see clearly, but if the fish has had the issue for that long, I’d consider it more of a blemish than an active disease. Diseases, in the confines of aquariums, tend to either go into remission with treatment, or continue to grow until they overcome the fish - it is very rare for them to just balance out.
Jay

OP
OP
rhostam

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough to see clearly, but if the fish has had the issue for that long, I’d consider it more of a blemish than an active disease. Diseases, in the confines of aquariums, tend to either go into remission with treatment, or continue to grow until they overcome the fish - it is very rare for them to just balance out.
Jay

Thank you, it’s tough to get a good look even with my own eyes. If fish could have beauty marks, that’s how I’d describe what I can see. I’ll try and be sneaky with nori and white light and see if I can grab a better picture. What I posted were the best of like 50 plus a 5 minute video. LOL The lighting was already pretty white, blues toned down and blue filter on.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cant clearly see area as there is blue light and reflection in the room. Does not appear to be injury but rather raised like an isopod (not saying it is) or similar. Closer pic under while light intensity would be helpful
I was going to ask is it raised or flat. An injury - if not infected - should not be getting bigger. Is there anything on the other side?

OP
OP
rhostam

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to ask is it raised or flat. An injury - if not infected - should not be getting bigger. Is there anything on the other side?
It seems flat. There is not one on her other side. She doesn’t like swimming still or is try and produce a better picture.

She is the fastest growing and fattest of all of the residents in my tank. She doesn’t appear bothered by it and she is as active and curious as she has always been. As it didn’t fit the description of any affliction I’ve read about I assumed it was discolored scales or scar from an injury.

It wasn’t until I was doing some cleaning the other day that I sat down and really gave it some thought: Is it a scar and can they look like this? Can fish have spots of discolored scales (similar to pigment disorders like vitiligo in humans)? Or worse, is this an affliction I’ve unwittingly ignored?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It seems flat. There is not one on her other side. She doesn’t like swimming still or is try and produce a better picture.

She is the fastest growing and fattest of all of the residents in my tank. She doesn’t appear bothered by it and she is as active and curious as she has always been. As it didn’t fit the description of any affliction I’ve read about I assumed it was discolored scales or scar from an injury.

It wasn’t until I was doing some cleaning the other day that I sat down and really gave it some thought: Is it a scar and can they look like this? Can fish have spots of discolored scales (similar to pigment disorders like vitiligo in humans)? Or worse, is this an affliction I’ve unwittingly ignored?
Have you added anything that would be considered 'wild' - like @vetteguy53081 I at first thought it was an isopod-like lesion. However I also see Jay's point - it may just be a blemish. Can you think of anything else that could have happened to the fish. The only thing that was somewhat concerning is you were saying it's getting bigger - over what period.

OP
OP
rhostam

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you added anything that would be considered 'wild' - like @vetteguy53081 I at first thought it was an isopod-like lesion. However I also see Jay's point - it may just be a blemish. Can you think of anything else that could have happened to the fish. The only thing that was somewhat concerning is you were saying it's getting bigger - over what period.

Since I added her to the tank, yes. I added new fish and corals.

Since I first noticed the spot, no. I've been battling high PO4 and GHA and haven't added anything in at least a year.

The Chromies, the clowns Big Bertha/ Marlon, and the six-line Cade occasionally get into chases and weird mock fights. Gloria will sometimes get in the middle without actually participating. I not have observed any other overt signs of aggression even during feeding or during periods of stress such as when I clean the tank.

She had the dot when she was smaller, though not when I added her. The dot has been growing as she has grown. It never had an appearance of a growth or a lesion. It just appears a different color similar to the dot markings on her face. The spot even changes tone at different angles a little, including when she is stressed and the whole of her body gets paler (usually only when I'm putting my hands in the tank to pluck GHA, etc).

She absolutely won't come out in white light. I've tried it and I've even tried waiting an hour or so. So these pictures under blue with a filter are the best I'll be able to do. I managed to snap these photos while she was feasting on some nori.

Thanks everyone for their feedback (and concern).

20231013_213815252_iOS.jpg
20231013_214604228_iOS.jpg

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back