blackizzz

blackizzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there
Would u like to share your tank
Hi! I'll definitely check that thread out! My tank no longer uses a Zeovit reactor, but still dosing some KZ supplements :)

OP
OP
blackizzz

blackizzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hows the tank and new one coming along mate?

Sorry for no updates, tank is doing alright.

Growing slowly but noticeably, still having some issues with the flatworms so coloration isn't at it's peak at the moment. I've just ordered more FWS to try to continue the battle.

Had a random acro RTN overnight a few weeks ago, but no signs of similar problems on other corals.

Added two new fish to replace the mccosker's that jumped out. One leopard wrasse and a mandarin. Both been in the tank about a week and a half and doing great!

The new tank is still waiting for the room to be finished, soon time to put flooring in but I expect it may take 2 to 3-ish months until the entire room is finished. I've moved the cycled LR to my sump, so that all will be perfectly good to go once the new tank is up and running.

No pictures to share at the moment, but I'll be sure to take some and update you guys soon :)

OP
OP
blackizzz

blackizzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long time no post!

Tank has been doing good lately, and it's getting also closer and closer to me being able to set up the new tank! Flooring has just been laid in the room where the tank will stand, and electricity was completed today! Next up is skinning the walls and doing plumbing in the adjacent bathroom so I can have access to water. When walls are done and painted, I'll be able to actually put everything in place! Exciting :)

Picture of the area where the tank will be, just before the final pieces of flooring was put down. The floor is stone/ceramic made to look like wood.
IMG_7647.jpg

Still have to fix two things with the new tank, doors for the stand and sort some sort of bracket to hang the lights. Been considering two different options for the bracket, either a simple L-shaped bracket that fixes to the wall, or something that fixes to the back of the stand. I prefer the first option but we'll see.

Regarding current tank, growth has increased on most corals, which I'm glad to see! Actually to the point where some corals have been growing into each other, and thus have been either moved or fragged. I've promised pictures before, so thought now was the time to deliver :) As always, please excuse my "terrific" photos straight out of the phone;)

First a kinda FTS, from above.
IMG_7673.jpg

Then som random shots from around the tank

Horrida
IMG_7677.jpg

"Waterdragon" Chalice, this thing grows too quick! Already had to move an acro and frag several branches off a monti next to it, as it's ruthless.
IMG_7680.jpg

"Cookie Monster" Sarmentosa
IMG_7683.jpg

A recently fragged "Tutti Frutti" Milli, this and the montipora next to it are definitely battling it out, the milli seems to hold it's ground so far! A little photobomb too.
IMG_7688.jpg

"Rainbow Beast-mode" Sp. Wishing this would color up a little bit more. (Sitting quite badly below my fragrack atm, hence the weird picture)
IMG_7686.jpg

And the latest acquisition, a classic, favites war painted. Was stung a bit in the store, but got a decent deal on it. Should recover fine!
IMG_7682.jpg

ycnibrc

SOCAL REEF TOTM 11/2019 GHL TOTM 02/2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Corals look really good. As far as flatworm since u dont have too many and the sps is not big dipping is much better than fws. Dip once a week for 4 weeks should eradicate most adult flatworm. Then 1 more round to takecare of any new hatch then fws will keep them in check.

OP
OP
blackizzz

blackizzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals look really good. As far as flatworm since u dont have too many and the sps is not big dipping is much better than fws. Dip once a week for 4 weeks should eradicate most adult flatworm. Then 1 more round to takecare of any new hatch then fws will keep them in check.

Thanks for input! What makes me hesitant to dipping is how well encrusted most corals are to the rock, I'd have to either somehow cut off large parts of the rockwork and dip together with the corals, or "sacrifice" I'd say 50-60% of coral tissue in order to be able to dip.

As it is now, I baste all corals quite often (mostly cause my ***hole of a goby keeps dumping sand on them) and very rarely I find AEFW. When I do, I suck 'em out and dispose, I also go over the coral more aggressively with the baster to see if I find more. I seldom see bite-marks on any corals now, and finding AEFW is very rare. FWS (I dose 2-3x daily dose) seems to be helping for the moment :)

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks for input! What makes me hesitant to dipping is how well encrusted most corals are to the rock, I'd have to either somehow cut off large parts of the rockwork and dip together with the corals, or "sacrifice" I'd say 50-60& of coral tissue in order to be able to dip.

As it is now, I baste all corals quite often (mostly cause my ***hole of a goby keeps dumping sand on them) and very rarely I find AEFW. When I do, I suck 'em out and dispose, I also go over the coral more aggressively with the baster to see if I find more. I seldom see bite-marks on any corals now, and finding AEFW is very rare. FWS (I dose 2-3x daily dose) seems to be helping for the moment :)
I understand and know of those who have been there.
It Is a Risk you are taking. If nothing else, try to find a Blue velvet nudibranch who will find these and eat them. Also a beautiful specimen.

1586280521069.png

OP
OP
blackizzz

blackizzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand and know of those who have been there.
It Is a Risk you are taking. If nothing else, try to find a Blue velvet nudibranch who will find these and eat them. Also a beautiful specimen.

1586280521069.png
Definitely a risk-taking, unfortunately yes. I'll definitely check and see if my LFS can order one of those for me! Thank you for the advice :)

OP
OP
blackizzz

blackizzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slowly progressing with the room build in preparation for the tank. Walls are 95% painted and the room is kinda coming together. Still some work left but feels like it's really close!

Decided that I wanted to experiment on supplementing my radions with something to help the spread (despite them being mounted like 16" above the new tank) so put in an order for a couple Orphek OR3's in Blue plus. Not quite sure on how I will mount them, but I have an idea on how to get it somewhat sleek looking :)

I'm hoping to have the tank in place next weekend, won't be wet by then but hopefully well on its way! Have to wait for delivery of salt before I can get it wet.

Should really take some pics of the current tank, but been too busy trying to finish the new location!

OP
OP
blackizzz

blackizzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't been able to reach my goal of putting the tank in place just yet. However it is really close! Painting the trim on a window just off to the side so once that is done I should be good to go :)

Got the brackets for the lights attached to the wall, and also made the doors to the stand. They're currently unpainted, but hopefully I can find someone to help me with that matter. Reached out to 3 different paint-shops and 2 were unable to help and the third wanted over $750 to paint 4 cabinet doors, which seemed a little steep. Especially considering they're gonna be sanded and ready to prime + paint. Will keep looking.

Brackets
IMG_7901 3.jpg

Testing the size
IMG_7905 2.jpg

Prepped
IMG_7908.jpg

Got word that my OR3's might be delivered tomorrow afternoon, so that's exciting! :)

OP
OP
blackizzz

blackizzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Busy day! Managed to get the final (necessary) things done around where the tank is placed, the rest I can without issues fix later.

New boxes are always nice :)
IMG_7910.jpg

But more importantly, real progress!

These plastic strips will support the bottom of the stand, but should still allow for some air to get in under (heated flooring, thought it might be a good idea)
IMG_7912.jpg

And then a few hours later:

It's in place!
IMG_7916.jpg

Tomorrow I will clean the glass (been sitting in storage for over a year now! :eek:) and start making water. My shipment of salt has magically disappeared so will have to drive to my LFS and get a bucket.

Then I might be brave enough to semi-shutdown the old tank and transfer the sump and some tech, get the last bits and pieces completed with the plumbing etc. Figure it might be best to do it this way instead of trying to rush all of the transfer in one day.

The fish and corals should do just fine without the sump and skimmer, will wait with transferring lights, heater and the mp10's until I transfer the live stuff. That I got planned for Friday if all goes as planned.

Thinking of starting a new thread now that the new tank is finally close to setup, any thoughts on that? No zeovit anymore either :p

OP
OP
blackizzz

blackizzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 2 long days of carrying water, cleaning equipment and routing cables the tank is finally completely up and running!

Plumbing only had one "leak", which was due to me, quite stupidly, forgetting to glue an elbow... Easily corrected and now everything is leak free :)

Started with emptying the old sump so I could clean that. The water went into the new tank, queue the muddy look
IMG_7923 2.jpg

Sump was cleaned as good as I could, still some old tube-worm remains between the baffles, but that shouldn't affect anything. I also removed the last baffle in my bubble trap, it didn't really do much except allowing debris to settle in the return area and between the baffles.

Not the most spacious sump, and I quickly realized some changes in plans would be needed, as the skimmer was slightly bigger than expected (woops). Said and done I had planned the rollermat to be on the back wall of the sump, now it's on the side instead, had to change some piping to make it work but luckily I had the parts at home.

So this is what I have to work with

IMG_7924 2.jpg

IMG_7925 2.jpg

Beginning of the rat's nest in the background, but that was a problem for later, we got flow! :)

IMG_7926 2.jpg

Since the water was from the old tank and the correct salinity/temp, I felt it safe to start the transfer.

IMG_7932.jpg

Things went smoother and easier than I expected and soon the old tank was empty, and the new one full of life :)
IMG_7934.jpg

Like this I left it overnight, spending the last hours of the day trying to mount the light together.

Nervewrecking awakening in the morning, to see if something had given up overnight, but luckily enough the corals and fish seem unfazed by the move!

IMG_7939.jpg
IMG_7938.jpg

Ignore the weird bar on top of the light, I'll remove that once I can figure out how to counterbalance for the cords coming out in the back :p

Next step was routing cables. I don't know how some of y'all do it but that is tough work! This is kind of what I had to work with from the beginning.

IMG_7940.jpg

About 9 hours later I now have this, and I can tell you the back is far from pretty! ;Hilarious

IMG_7947.jpg

And if I need to access vortech/vectra controls
IMG_7948.jpg

Next step is aquascaping, but I'm gonna give the tank a day to settle for real before I start doing that :) Gives me a little time to plan and envision my goal!

Tomorrow is cleaning the old tank and the area where that stood. Also need to run an internet cable to the house where the new tank is so I can get my reeflink up and running. I'll also try to PAR-map the new tank, plus do a million other small things probably :)

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's this, ("Not the most spacious sump, and I quickly realized some changes in plans would be needed, as the skimmer was slightly bigger than expected (woops).") You mean to tell me you didn't have it all Sketched up first. ;Smuggrin Just playin'. Looks really good!

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 2 long days of carrying water, cleaning equipment and routing cables the tank is finally completely up and running!

Plumbing only had one "leak", which was due to me, quite stupidly, forgetting to glue an elbow... Easily corrected and now everything is leak free :)

Started with emptying the old sump so I could clean that. The water went into the new tank, queue the muddy look
IMG_7923 2.jpg

Sump was cleaned as good as I could, still some old tube-worm remains between the baffles, but that shouldn't affect anything. I also removed the last baffle in my bubble trap, it didn't really do much except allowing debris to settle in the return area and between the baffles.

Not the most spacious sump, and I quickly realized some changes in plans would be needed, as the skimmer was slightly bigger than expected (woops). Said and done I had planned the rollermat to be on the back wall of the sump, now it's on the side instead, had to change some piping to make it work but luckily I had the parts at home.

So this is what I have to work with

IMG_7924 2.jpg

IMG_7925 2.jpg

Beginning of the rat's nest in the background, but that was a problem for later, we got flow! :)

IMG_7926 2.jpg

Since the water was from the old tank and the correct salinity/temp, I felt it safe to start the transfer.

IMG_7932.jpg

Things went smoother and easier than I expected and soon the old tank was empty, and the new one full of life :)
IMG_7934.jpg

Like this I left it overnight, spending the last hours of the day trying to mount the light together.

Nervewrecking awakening in the morning, to see if something had given up overnight, but luckily enough the corals and fish seem unfazed by the move!

IMG_7939.jpg
IMG_7938.jpg

Ignore the weird bar on top of the light, I'll remove that once I can figure out how to counterbalance for the cords coming out in the back :p

Next step was routing cables. I don't know how some of y'all do it but that is tough work! This is kind of what I had to work with from the beginning.

IMG_7940.jpg

About 9 hours later I now have this, and I can tell you the back is far from pretty! ;Hilarious

IMG_7947.jpg

And if I need to access vortech/vectra controls
IMG_7948.jpg

Next step is aquascaping, but I'm gonna give the tank a day to settle for real before I start doing that :) Gives me a little time to plan and envision my goal!

Tomorrow is cleaning the old tank and the area where that stood. Also need to run an internet cable to the house where the new tank is so I can get my reeflink up and running. I'll also try to PAR-map the new tank, plus do a million other small things probably :)
Looks great

OP
OP
blackizzz

blackizzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's this, ("Not the most spacious sump, and I quickly realized some changes in plans would be needed, as the skimmer was slightly bigger than expected (woops).") You mean to tell me you didn't have it all Sketched up first. ;Smuggrin Just playin'. Looks really good!
Haha! Was a bit too lazy to make the rollermat, but it worked out in the end!

Thank you :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%

Back