Blackizzz shallow zeovit tank

Mr Cheezy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 2 long days of carrying water, cleaning equipment and routing cables the tank is finally completely up and running!

Plumbing only had one "leak", which was due to me, quite stupidly, forgetting to glue an elbow... Easily corrected and now everything is leak free :)

Started with emptying the old sump so I could clean that. The water went into the new tank, queue the muddy look
IMG_7923 2.jpg

Sump was cleaned as good as I could, still some old tube-worm remains between the baffles, but that shouldn't affect anything. I also removed the last baffle in my bubble trap, it didn't really do much except allowing debris to settle in the return area and between the baffles.

Not the most spacious sump, and I quickly realized some changes in plans would be needed, as the skimmer was slightly bigger than expected (woops). Said and done I had planned the rollermat to be on the back wall of the sump, now it's on the side instead, had to change some piping to make it work but luckily I had the parts at home.

So this is what I have to work with

IMG_7924 2.jpg

IMG_7925 2.jpg

Beginning of the rat's nest in the background, but that was a problem for later, we got flow! :)

IMG_7926 2.jpg

Since the water was from the old tank and the correct salinity/temp, I felt it safe to start the transfer.

IMG_7932.jpg

Things went smoother and easier than I expected and soon the old tank was empty, and the new one full of life :)
IMG_7934.jpg

Like this I left it overnight, spending the last hours of the day trying to mount the light together.

Nervewrecking awakening in the morning, to see if something had given up overnight, but luckily enough the corals and fish seem unfazed by the move!

IMG_7939.jpg
IMG_7938.jpg

Ignore the weird bar on top of the light, I'll remove that once I can figure out how to counterbalance for the cords coming out in the back :p

Next step was routing cables. I don't know how some of y'all do it but that is tough work! This is kind of what I had to work with from the beginning.

IMG_7940.jpg

About 9 hours later I now have this, and I can tell you the back is far from pretty! ;Hilarious

IMG_7947.jpg

And if I need to access vortech/vectra controls
IMG_7948.jpg

Next step is aquascaping, but I'm gonna give the tank a day to settle for real before I start doing that :) Gives me a little time to plan and envision my goal!

Tomorrow is cleaning the old tank and the area where that stood. Also need to run an internet cable to the house where the new tank is so I can get my reeflink up and running. I'll also try to PAR-map the new tank, plus do a million other small things probably :)

Nice.. (snygg sump setup)

Funlad3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new tank looks great, and you have some super nice acros! I'm glad the move went well, and I can't wait to see how you scape all of the rock and corals.

OP
OP
blackizzz

blackizzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new tank looks great, and you have some super nice acros! I'm glad the move went well, and I can't wait to see how you scape all of the rock and corals.
Thank you Funlad!

Scape came along pretty nicely I’d say, I’m pleased but it took about a day and a half to complete;Hilarious

Looking a lot more like a tank now! :)
Excuse the blue pictures and the frag rack :rolleyes:

C578B65F-0A22-4E2F-AA3B-CDD93C38A642.jpeg
D9C2EB8F-0E06-4076-B93F-83088EC11C62.jpeg
33F75956-B420-4E0C-9AF3-4305F66BFD07.jpeg

OP
OP
blackizzz

blackizzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next step is to figure out how to get the reeflink up and running again, spent around 6 hours trying to get it to connect to internet yesterday, sent an email to Ecotech support hoping to get it resolved. Worked without issues before it lost connection when moving tanks.

If anyone knows how to read the color codes I'd be mighty appreciative. Works neither with Wifi or ethernet, different color codes on them both. (Green green green yellow green red - Wifi) (Green green green green yellow red - ethernet)

Weird cause sometimes it says in the reeflink setup software that the reeflink is connected to internet, but still error code on the reeflink itself, and not able to find it in ecosmart live.

Funlad3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next step is to figure out how to get the reeflink up and running again, spent around 6 hours trying to get it to connect to internet yesterday, sent an email to Ecotech support hoping to get it resolved. Worked without issues before it lost connection when moving tanks.

If anyone knows how to read the color codes I'd be mighty appreciative. Works neither with Wifi or ethernet, different color codes on them both. (Green green green yellow green red - Wifi) (Green green green green yellow red - ethernet)

Weird cause sometimes it says in the reeflink setup software that the reeflink is connected to internet, but still error code on the reeflink itself, and not able to find it in ecosmart live.

I had a similar issue once and they advised me to take it apart and make sure that the WiFi RFID card hadn't fallen off of the circuit board. It had, and I just had to push it back into the quick connect terminals. I can't remember what the color code was, but if this ends up being the problem, it's an easy fix!

OP
OP
blackizzz

blackizzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great new setup! Cant wait to see your reef continue to grow!

Thank you! I'm excited too!

I had a similar issue once and they advised me to take it apart and make sure that the WiFi RFID card hadn't fallen off of the circuit board. It had, and I just had to push it back into the quick connect terminals. I can't remember what the color code was, but if this ends up being the problem, it's an easy fix!

Thanks for the tip! unfortunately that wasn't the case for me, and not even the support were able to figure out what really caused the issues. (Though shoutout to Cade at Ecotech that really was helpful in the process!) I think I've narrowed it down to router settings. It seems something changed when I set up the new router as an extra router (not repeater but its own network outside of the other's coverage.) Weirdly enough I'm able to set reeflink up on my phone's personal hotspot, so I'm temporarily able to setup lights and pumps.

About a week ago I added 4 dispar anthias, and they seem to like their new digs :) Really made the small reef a little more active!

Tomorrow I'll take some par measurements and adjust the intensity, slowly gonna work my way up, I think I'm sub 200 par at most of the reef at the moment, want to get in the 450-200 (by me considered) sweet spot, gonna take a couple of weeks to get there.

Super hot here at the moment, by our standards at least. A normal hot day here is around 23-24 degrees celsius at this time of year, today we had 32 degrees (90f) as max. Tank is struggling to stay cool enough, and I'm struggling to freeze ice packs quick enough. At the moment there's no AC in the room the tank is in, but I think I'll have to add one soon.

Anyways, that's that for a quick update, I should try to get a couple of pictures of the tank and corals, need to figure out how to counter the blue light, since adding the OR3's my blue filter isn't quite doing the job anymore.

OP
OP
blackizzz

blackizzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow long time no post here!

Tank is doing fine, had a couple of rough periods, heat, dino, and now cyano. Finally starting to cool down quite a bit here, so tank is running at a more normal temperature.

I'll try to walk through what's happened since last post:

First of all I got the stand doors back from painters, and man they did a good job! Exactly what I wanted and its really easy to keep the hard surface clean. They are still yet to be fitted (proving to be challenging hehe) but that's the goal for today!
IMG_8216.jpg
IMG_8218.jpg

Then a couple of weeks ago I added what I figure will be the final fish to the tank. Two tangs and an angel. They are all looking super healthy and seem to have adapted really nice to their new environment. I attribute the disappearance of the Dinos to a higher bio-load, now I just have to fine tune everything including my feeding to get rid of the cyano as well :)

Unfortunately the fish are quite difficult to photograph, so I'll just throw in a photo of how it looks from my view now sitting next to the tank.
IMG_8324.jpg

Then finally, some random coral shots, showing modest but somewhat visible growth. As always, please excuse the quality of the pictures :p

IMG_8296.jpeg
IMG_8297.jpeg
IMG_8298.jpeg
IMG_8299.jpeg
IMG_8301.jpeg
IMG_8302.jpeg
IMG_8303.jpeg

OP
OP
blackizzz

blackizzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious, Zeovit has a device to add mulm to system. Are you planning to use that....
Following also

I ran a Zeovit reactor on my previous tank before upgrade. I found that for my tank it wasn’t achieving the results I was looking for, it could have been my fault through never really being able to stabilize the flow through the reactor (as the pump seemed to require almost daily cleanings for it to not drop in flow rate)
This lead to nutrients either spiking or bottoming without any real stability. And as we all know, that isn’t optimal!

I will continue to use some of the Zeovit products (K-B/B-B/FWS/etc) until I run out, and possibly after that as well, but I will not be using a full Zeovit system for this tank :)

Glad to have you along! :)

OP
OP
blackizzz

blackizzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey. It's not all that bad considering the cyano situation.
Why not install a zeovit reactor?
Covered this in my answer to Dr. D. above, but tldr it didn’t meet my expectations on the last tank, and made taking care of the tank a bit more complicated. Now I’m trying to do more of a simple approach.

thanks for the comment! I’m hopeful the cyano will disappear soon :)

OP
OP
blackizzz

blackizzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So yesterday+today I was able to actually fit the doors properly. I accidentally have placed the tank about 0.5cm too close to the left wall, so the left door gave me a lot of headache!

however, through some modifications to the rails on that side I was able to fit that door as well :)

So this is how it looks now!
ECBB2F37-404A-415D-8AB2-A1EEDD97CA0D.jpeg
ADFE6802-4651-415F-A8F6-89CEE0A27B06.jpeg

Starting to look more and more like it should :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back