Blackout!

sean rand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi i have 150 fish only system. My area is expanding a blackoutthis weekend and i only have 1 backup battery. Should i put it on my return pump or wavemaker?

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fortunately it’s fish only. Corals would want ‘flow’... fish only need oxygen. Without a photo of your system, I would get the wave maker going, breaking the water at the surface, and devote any other electrical power to a few cheap air pumps with air stones (deep into the tank, for as much bubble rise and surface break.)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi i have 150 fish only system. My area is expanding a blackoutthis weekend and i only have 1 backup battery. Should i put it on my return pump or wavemaker?

How long will it be? (the blackout). Assume you dont need a heater. Also how big is the tank? How big is the wave maker? etc. Otherwise its hard to answer the question. Agree with those saying wavemaker +- an ayirstone - one suggestion - get a couple extra battery packs. Even though you think you have enough - its always good for redundancy (why are they doing this - and how often is it going to happen?). Good Luck

OP
OP
S

sean rand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long will it be? (the blackout). Assume you dont need a heater. Also how big is the tank? How big is the wave maker? etc. Otherwise its hard to answer the question. Agree with those saying wavemaker +- an ayirstone - one suggestion - get a couple extra battery packs. Even though you think you have enough - its always good for redundancy (why are they doing this - and how often is it going to happen?). Good Luck
Its a mp40. Tank is 6 ft long

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Its a mp40. Tank is 6 ft long
how heavy is your return flow? - BTW - thats a big tank for just an MP 40 - And are you sure you have a big enough battery pack for an MP40 to last (however long the blackout is lasting?). What fish etc do you have?

OP
OP
S

sean rand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how heavy is your return flow? - BTW - thats a big tank for just an MP 40 - And are you sure you have a big enough battery pack for an MP40 to last (however long the blackout is lasting?). What fish etc do you have?
I have a gyre also but its not hooked up to the battery

ourcoralreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just the powerhead to get water moving and as others have said add oxygen back into the water by having the water break the surface

In a fish only i personally wouldn’t use anything fancy a regular small pump would even work

Get a couple of bait bucket - bubble makers they use two D batteries and last about 40 hours

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything work out good I hope.

@sean rand ?

Could always use real world examples to see what worked for you.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back