Blasto with blisters-any idea what it is or how to treat??

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As title says I have a blasto with what appear to be white blisters on surface of main oral disk. I received the coral like this and shame on me didn't quarantine it. Couldn't see them until it was in the tank. I will be revisiting that after this incident.

But on to the matter at hand. I have never seen this and don't really remember seeing any thread with coral presenting this. The unfortunate thing is that I have an alveopora that was doing great until I added this coral, it is the green one behind it. Now that coral does not fully extend. There is another alveopora in the foreground and that one does not seem to be affected.

Any thoughts on what the blisters are or how to treat? My initial thought is that it is some type of parasite that has embedded into the flesh??

Sorry for the bad pic, I figured better to post a bad one than none at all. This was taken during close to lights out. The blisters are the white dots. In person they do look like blisters.

Attachments

• Blasto blisters.JPG
    Blasto blisters.JPG
    209.7 KB · Views: 188

dnov99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's really difficult to see anything in the picture. Are you sure it's not the skeleton of the coral pushing through the tissue? A close up shot would be more helpful.

I always trust Melafix as a pretty broad treatment for many coral issues.

OP
OP
Tabasco1

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks dnov. I'll try to get a better pic. I'm 99% sure it's not the skeleton. The coral puffs up and looks normal other wise. The blisters are more noticeable when it is highly inflated. At night when it retracts a bit the blisters are almost undetectable.

Do you think dipping it in a coral cleaner and iodine would help? I'm getting ready to make a supplies order so I will add Melafix to that.

dnov99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your going to dip, I would wait and use only the Melafix. Could it be a color characteristic of this coral?

OP
OP
Tabasco1

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did initially think about that. The vendor picture does not show these white bumps at all. And I think it is what is affecting the green alveopora next to it. That coral was always fully extended until shortly after adding this coral.

I've never seen a blasto with these bumps before. They definitely look like some sort of disease. The coral itself looks very healthy though. Still fully inflates.

There could be something different going on with the alveo, but it seems too coincidental.

I'll wait and order the Melafix and dip. I'll give an update after treatment.

Thanks for response.

Steven C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it treats the tank? Or do you use as a dip?
From what i understand the dip is better i have heard a lot of people dosing the tank and things dying is it true not completely sure but i have used it as a dip i like it

OP
OP
Tabasco1

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok. Thanks. That is what I was planning, but looking through instructions it says to treat tank. I'll use as a dip.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 98 73.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back