Bleached coralline algae

saltlife97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I’ve done a 10:1 water and bleach blend to clear my live rock of aptasia and pests before I put it into my new tank.
All my coralline algae has been bleached white and that’s no problem but is it okay to put back into the tank onece washed with r/o and then dried in the sun? Or should I find a way to clean the coralline algae off with maybe a 50/50 blend of water vinegar and then a w hash and dry? Please give me an idea

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I’ve done a 10:1 water and bleach blend to clear my live rock of aptasia and pests before I put it into my new tank.
All my coralline algae has been bleached white and that’s no problem but is it okay to put back into the tank onece washed with r/o and then dried in the sun? Or should I find a way to clean the coralline algae off with maybe a 50/50 blend of water vinegar and then a w hash and dry? Please give me an idea
Having done something similar before, you will be fine to put the rock back in with the coralline "skeleton" remaining on the rock. At this point, it is just a calcium deposit on the rock and new coralline will gorw on it much easier than the rock alone.

Just be sure, like you said, to rinse the rock and let dry so that the chlorine from the bleach is no longer present.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi, i would recommend to rinse ,dry, rinse and dry again,then safe too add, jmo... :)

OP
OP
saltlife97

saltlife97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having done something similar before, you will be fine to put the rock back in with the coralline "skeleton" remaining on the rock. At this point, it is just a calcium deposit on the rock and new coralline will gorw on it much easier than the rock alone.

Just be sure, like you said, to rinse the rock and let dry so that the chlorine from the bleach is no longer present.
Thank you

Gigajoulz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend getting some water conditioner, the kind with dechlorinator in it, and soak it in there after a bleach bath. Bleach is biodegradable but I'd do anything to keep it out of the display tank. The dechlorinator will absorb any left over bleach reside.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back