Bleached Torch Coral Help!

Platinum Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so I had a Torch shipped to me January 5th so I've had it 3 months now. It came to me bleached it had spit up its zooxanthella in the bag unfortunately. So its been completely white for 3 months now and shows no signs of getting better, if anything its doing worse then when I first put it in the tank. The tentacles are only out a few hours of the day and I don't feed my corals until night when my pesky wrasse goes to bed. By the time I want to feed it when the blue lights are on and everyone is going to bed its fully retracted. I decided to move it from my main display to a 20 gallon long yesterday to better target feed it. My main question is should I be trying to feed my torch everyday? The tentacles haven't been coming out as much the last few weeks so its harder to feed it. I have a really basic LED light over it on my 20 gallon long right now(Its a 18 watt clip on). Should I be giving it a lot of light or wait until color has been fully restored to change lights? Any answers would be well appreciated!

I Put a few pics and a video of what the torch coral looks like and the set up I have it in right now.

20 gallon Tank.jpg Torch 4-5-21.jpg

Attachments

• Torch Vid.mp4
    14.7 MB

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so I had a Torch shipped to me January 5th so I've had it 3 months now. It came to me bleached it had spit up its zooxanthella in the bag unfortunately. So its been completely white for 3 months now and shows no signs of getting better, if anything its doing worse then when I first put it in the tank. The tentacles are only out a few hours of the day and I don't feed my corals until night when my pesky wrasse goes to bed. By the time I want to feed it when the blue lights are on and everyone is going to bed its fully retracted. I decided to move it from my main display to a 20 gallon long yesterday to better target feed it. My main question is should I be trying to feed my torch everyday? The tentacles haven't been coming out as much the last few weeks so its harder to feed it. I have a really basic LED light over it on my 20 gallon long right now(Its a 18 watt clip on). Should I be giving it a lot of light or wait until color has been fully restored to change lights? Any answers would be well appreciated!

I Put a few pics and a video of what the torch coral looks like and the set up I have it in right now.

I would say dialing down the lighting intensity would be more beneficial than increasing it. Also if it’s been like this for 3 months, I really doubt this torch will get any better. It will mostly like continue to retract and recede. Did you get a refund? Since you mentioned that it was already bleached when you received it.

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Is it the only torch in the tank? And also the only coral in the tank? In that case there might not be much available suitable zooxanthellae for it to take up.

Personally, I have never had to deal with this but you could read up on amino acids dosing. Your torch might be already too weak to catch and eat so perhaps dosing simple elements might be your best shot.

OP
OP
P

Platinum Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it the only torch in the tank? And also the only coral in the tank? In that case there might not be much available suitable zooxanthellae for it to take up.

Personally, I have never had to deal with this but you could read up on amino acids dosing. Your torch might be already too weak to catch and eat so perhaps dosing simple elements might be your best shot.
It was the only torch in my tank, I have about 20 other corals doing well in there. I moved it to this 20 gallon long to separate it from my fish so it would be easier to feed. I didn't ask for a refund as the rest of the coral in the order were fine. I'm hoping it will pull through in was a nice black torch with neon green tips.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 67 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back