"Blemish" on Clownfish

Eric1493

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I recently noticed a small patch of lighter color on one of my new clowns. I don't have pictures at the moment, but it's not a raised area or anything, just discolored. No bumps or other symptoms, it almost looks like a birth defect. Is this something I should be worried about?

Thanks

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A picture would really help- try to get one under white light, not blue. If the spot just showed up, it is unlikely to be from a birth defect, and if you are seeing it on just one side of the fish, it is less likely to be normal. Still, it may just be a minor scrape. Is the fish eating well and holding its fins erect?
Jay

OP
OP
E

Eric1493

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A picture would really help- try to get one under white light, not blue. If the spot just showed up, it is unlikely to be from a birth defect, and if you are seeing it on just one side of the fish, it is less likely to be normal. Still, it may just be a minor scrape. Is the fish eating well and holding its fins erect?
Jay
Thank you! The patch probably didn't just show up, I just got the new pair yesterday. I don't recall if it was like that at the store. It is only on one side and doesn't appear to be red at all. I will post pictures once I get home. They are both definitely eating well and swimming normally.

OP
OP
E

Eric1493

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be anything no telling without a pic. Get ready with focus and metro!
I will try to get a pic soon! I do have metro on hand, but I don't think it looks like uronema, if that's what you're saying. The area is a lot lighter than it's surroundings, not darker.

OP
OP
E

Eric1493

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_9913.jpg
IMG_9914.jpg
IMG_9916.jpg
IMG_9917.jpg
IMG_9918 (1).jpg

OP
OP
E

Eric1493

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've attached a bunch of pictures. To my understanding, this isn't uronema because it's not red and there are no raised scales, which is the only "patchy" disease I know. @Jay Hemdal ? Thank you to everyone in advance!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've attached a bunch of pictures. To my understanding, this isn't uronema because it's not red and there are no raised scales, which is the only "patchy" disease I know. @Jay Hemdal ? Thank you to everyone in advance!

Correct, that does not look like Uronema. Little "bumps and scrapes" I tend to ignore, but this one is kind of on the borderline of being concerning, size-wise. If it grows in size, or spreads to a new area, you should consider dosing with a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic. You might want to get your ducks in a row - have the meds on hand, etc. because you never know, if you don't need them this time, perhaps the next...

Jay

Mike from TN

Owner/ Operator of the worlds most crowded Evo
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a shot in the dark but could it possibly be a heater burn? From the pix, it kinda looks like their trying to “cozy” up to your heater. Clowns DO do some pretty weird stuff!

OP
OP
E

Eric1493

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct, that does not look like Uronema. Little "bumps and scrapes" I tend to ignore, but this one is kind of on the borderline of being concerning, size-wise. If it grows in size, or spreads to a new area, you should consider dosing with a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic. You might want to get your ducks in a row - have the meds on hand, etc. because you never know, if you don't need them this time, perhaps the next...

Jay
Gotcha, thanks! I'll try to get some antibiotics tomorrow. Thank you again!

OP
OP
E

Eric1493

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a shot in the dark but could it possibly be a heater burn? From the pix, it kinda looks like their trying to “cozy” up to your heater. Clowns DO do some pretty weird stuff!
Yes, they seem to like the heater lol. It certainly could be a heater burn, but they weren't like this when I put them in the tank, so I don't really have a way of knowing. If it was a heater burn, would it be lighter than its surroundings?

Mike from TN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, they seem to like the heater lol. It certainly could be a heater burn, but they weren't like this when I put them in the tank, so I don't really have a way of knowing. If it was a heater burn, would it be lighter than its surroundings?
Not really sure as I’ve never seen a burn on a fish. Just seems like they are spending a lot of time there, unless you rapid fired the pictures. My Clowns have a “thing” for the Mag Float.

OP
OP
E

Eric1493

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really sure as I’ve never seen a burn on a fish. Just seems like they are spending a lot of time there, unless you rapid fired the pictures. My Clowns have a “thing” for the Mag Float.
oh they definitely have a “thing” for the heater. I’ll be sure to pay more attention to it. Thank you!

Mike from TN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe check into getting a cage for the heater. I know that some heaters come with them but you can also buy them separately.
04A35E74-7AE0-4DA8-859C-49252BD97108.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
very unusual how theyre hanging around heater. . which makes it a suspect

OP
OP
E

Eric1493

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very unusual how theyre hanging around heater. . which makes it a suspect
Definitely. The only thing is that the room is about the same temp as the tank, and the heater rarely turns on. They would have to be caught by surprise or sleeping if it was the heater, which is very possible.

Back