Blenny/Goby mix tank

linkedsilas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
forgive me, I was mostly a coral person and now moving towards fish. I love both gobies and blennies. I currently have a bicolor and a rainford. (2 clowns as well). Everyone gets along. I am upgrading to a 90g from a 57g and would like to get a variety of both. I’ve been reading that a lot are ok together as long as it’s not the same specie. Is this true in your experience? If you could guide me what your thoughts of buying all different specie in the same family , what you would or wouldn’t do? I appreciate it

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great question. Was stocking my new 90 and wanted a goby and blenny. Got a Starry Blenny and a Pink Watchman Goby. Put them into a 20 QT for prophylactic treatment and the SB went nuts on the Goby. It was trying to kill it. It was relentless. The poor Goby was hiding in the corner vertical not moving out of fear. Got a piece of eggcrate to separate the two. The SB squeezed through the eggcrate and continued the attack. So I added a layer of 1/4" mesh to the eggcrate. The SB continued to bite at the mesh trying to get to the Goby. It was crazy. They ended up in the QT for about 45 days during treatment. Finally, I put them into the big 90. And they have been fine. Not a bit of any aggression. Whew! They are both a couple of my favorite fish in the 90. Both have great personalities.

Oh, you mentioned you are a coral person. The goby digs a den under the rocks. No worries. But the Starry Blenny likes to hang out on my corals. He just lays on top of them swinging in the current. Too funny. Doesn't hurt my Gorgonians. Those are his favorite hang outs.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blennys dont like competition in the slightest be it for food or territory. Some Blennys will attack an angelfish or tang if it feels there is not enough rocks for everyone.

Sometimes you can avoid this behavior by choosing a blenny opposite the other fish.

So if going for a goby, perhaps instead of an algae blenny going towards a canary blenny instead.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My starry blenny doesn’t like snails, hermits, shrimp or the algae clip by his den. He has even moved a couple frag plus that I put too close for his comfort. No experience with a goby but my blenny is a d*%#

Brian Saxby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Midas blenny and yellow prawn goby. Easy and friendly and get along with all their neighbors. Tangs clown chromis and cardinals.

noxel56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Midas blenny and yellow prawn goby. Easy and friendly and get along with all their neighbors. Tangs clown chromis and cardinals.
What size tank? Was wondering if I could do the same in a 40b with the goby and blenny.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back