Blenny Lovers Thread

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read they have good personalities. Also I have some hair algae for them to eat. I was thinking bicolor, but keep reading they could be coral nippers.
All this is true...

They do protect their rock hole/den when they settle in there is no question. They do have a fantastic personality if you ask me :) I think I have had a goby or blenny in all of my tanks.

MECOMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last Blenny i purchase was sold to me as a, 'Black Sailfin Blenny' or 'Atrosalarias fuscus' This little guy must be an albino because....

Say hello to Gizmo,
IMG_8416 2.jpeg

I have not seen a lot of these guys in the hobby and they have been quite the enjoyable addition, They have a huge appetite for micro-algae on the reef!

Later days,

B-Kind

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last Blenny i purchase was sold to me as a, 'Black Sailfin Blenny' or 'Atrosalarias fuscus' This little guy must be an albino because....

Say hello to Gizmo,
IMG_8416 2.jpeg

I have not seen a lot of these guys in the hobby and they have been quite the enjoyable addition, They have a huge appetite for micro-algae on the reef!

Later days,

B-Kind
These guys are super tough to get going in the tank IME... They seem to REALLY enjoy film algae. For whatever reason, I struggle to get these guys to eat repaired foods. It usually takes a couple of steps before I can get them onto Nori. They also seem to be somewhat skittish, But once they settle in, they really are AWESOME fish!

MECOMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These guys are super tough to get going in the tank IME... They seem to REALLY enjoy film algae. For whatever reason, I struggle to get these guys to eat repaired foods. It usually takes a couple of steps before I can get them onto Nori. They also seem to be somewhat skittish, But once they settle in, they really are AWESOME fish!
I agree with all points here, luckily i have never had a very sterile tank so while he was acclimating to the new environment (and getting chased on occasion by my Tomini Tang who does not take kindly to fellow algae eaters at first) he always had a full belly of film algae. After just a couple weeks it was eating my cocktail of mysis/brine and nori after it was ripped from the clip. :)

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone confirm if this is a male or female S. Fasciatus?
I originally thought male but now I’m second guessing. This is the best pics I’ve been able to get of the anal fin lol
I believe this to be a female. Males you are looking for 2-3 longer rays on their anal fin.

Male:
1606782834616.png

Female:
1606782956808.png

Hope that helps!!

OP
OP
vaguelyreeflike

vaguelyreeflike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe this to be a female. Males you are looking for 2-3 longer rays on their anal fin.

Male:
1606782834616.png

Female:
1606782956808.png

Hope that helps!!
Thank you so much! This does help a ton and I do think you’re right that its female. Its anal fins have slight variation in length but not that noticeable at all.

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes sense, the last three or four we’ve ordered all appeared to be female. Do you know if they’ll kill eachother if I accidentally put 2 females in a 125gal lol?
I don't, in that sized tank they would be able to get away from each other. You may have to catch if there is a lot of chasing... Never tried to add two of the same species in the same tank.

OP
OP
vaguelyreeflike

vaguelyreeflike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't, in that sized tank they would be able to get away from each other. You may have to catch if there is a lot of chasing... Never tried to add two of the same species in the same tank.
I’m really going for a possible pair, its in a frag display tank so i could pull out the racks if i had to to catch one lol. Im just scared to add a second incase I sex wrong or they just dont pair haha, but as long as the worst outcome wont happen overnight, I can separate if necessary.

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m really going for a possible pair, its in a frag display tank so i could pull out the racks if i had to to catch one lol. Im just scared to add a second incase I sex wrong or they just dont pair haha, but as long as the worst outcome wont happen overnight, I can separate if necessary.
You have a clear divider you could setup or a acclimation box? That is my favorite tool...

OP
OP
vaguelyreeflike

vaguelyreeflike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a clear divider you could setup or a acclimation box? That is my favorite tool...
This whole time an acclimation box never crossed my mind lol. I’m gonna go that route thank you! Im gonna make one that will sink to the bottom but still have flow so that they can actually view eachother and i can judge their reactions

Parsely

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking of getting a tailspot blenny for my 13.5g. I have lots of rock in there but no barnacles. Do you guys recommend getting barnacles for them?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking of getting a tailspot blenny for my 13.5g. I have lots of rock in there but no barnacles. Do you guys recommend getting barnacles for them?
I would get a barnacle or a very holy rock for them. Mine loves hiding in the barnacles in my 4’ tank. He fits his whole body into them and will just poke his eyes out.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 52.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.9%
Back